I woke up at 1am to 4 fully armored police officers in my apartment

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so yeah, at around 1:30 am my SO and I had just fallen asleep and my brother who lives with us was still awake in the living room. All the sudden I hear something and in a half groggy state and my brother is at our door telling us to get up, and something about the police. So I'm very confused and all I can think is that we have to evacuate and that someone has to get the cat carrier! Well I was wrong, I stumbled out of my room, not dressed in a manner I want police officers to see me in, but anywho........ as the title of my post suggests .......... there were not 1, not 2, NOT 3, but 4 cops, and not just normal cops, but fully armored cops in the apartment and they were sort of talking/yelling at us to get out of the apartment and asking us if we had a gun!!! (I'm in Canada for reference and that is not a normal question, we don't generally have guns) so we said no, they looked around and then asked us if we had heard any gun shots or anything. My SO and I hadn't, but my brother had heard something on our neighbours balcony, but not what sounded like 'real' gunshots, but similar.

So they told us that someone had seen someone on one of our balconies aiming a very large gun down at the ground (we are on the 14th floor) and nobody would answer at the neighbours. So the cops used our balcony to look over into the neighbours and could see them sitting in the living room (who doesn't answer the door to the cops). So finally after the cops 'convinced' them to come out. Long story short, they had a MASSIVE air rifle, with a scope and everything, and they were indeed shooting it at stuff off the balcony which freaked out the people below, understandably. The cops showed us the rifle and I would have been terrified if I saw someone shooting it off a balcony.

So everything is OK, not sure what happened to the people with the air rifle, because I'm pretty sure that even if they are allowed to have it, they are not allowed to shoot it in city limits, off their balcony....... people are so stupid.

In anycase, it was quite a way to wake up............ couldn't get back to sleep for quite sometime!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that's quite a wake up! It's like something out of a movie.

Glad everything turned out ok! (scary neighbours though...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Wow, that's quite a wake up! It's like something out of a movie.

Glad everything turned out ok! (scary neighbours though...)
yikes! i know, kismet has escaped onto their balcony once before
and that freaks me out the most

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Good morning, huh?

Your neighbors are idiots.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy crap!! I wouldn't be able to sleep for days afterwards!
Wow your neighbours sound like total drop-kicks. We had some like that a couple of years ago. They would set up a mini firing range in their backyard.
Not something the cops took kindly to.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHOA! Waking up to that would have given me a heartattack!
Glad you and your family are ok! Crazy neighbors!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a nice wakeup call! We have gun restrictions in the UK too so I understand the confusion upon stumbling out of bed and being asked if you have a gun, most people just don't have one - air guns are allowed but it's illegal to use them within 50 feet of a public road. I would be freaked out by anyone shooting one from a balcony in a residential area! Not cool. Hope you've calmed down OK, I know from a recent (thankfully small) fire that the adrenalin can keep you up and anxious long after the event itself.