Kabuki's appetite

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lately, Kabuki has been eating alot. A full 3oz can of Authority kitten food and some dry royal canin kitten food everyday, She is abot 5-6 weeks old and is growing like a weed. Is this normal? should I increase her soft food or let her eat her kibble when she is hungry. I feed her 4 times a day. she is active, plays alot and has normal stools

thanks
]Kabuki's dad

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like she might be going through a growth spurt

I would let her eat

I am not one for limiting a kitten's food, especially when they are under 8-12mos. They need it....in their first 2 yrs of life, they grow the equivalant of a human growing to 25.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

sounds like she might be going through a growth spurt

I would let her eat

I am not one for limiting a kitten's food, especially when they are under 8-12mos. They need it....in their first 2 yrs of life, they grow the equivalant of a human growing to 25.
I totally agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will should I give her more than 1 can of kitten food a day or just let her eat that and then let her eat the dry

thanks

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, from what I've read on this board, wet food is always a plus... so if you can afford to feed her another can of wet each day, and she'll eat it, then I say go for it!! And just leave the dry out for her nibbling. Congrats on the new kitty!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I had to do it all over again with my cats, I would have been giving them mostly (if not all) wet from the time they were babies. Mine grew up in the days when vets pushed dry Science Diet and there were no places like TCS to learn the benefits of wet. Now that I have 6 senior cats that were mostly addicted to dry when growing up, it is harder to get them to eat wet all the time. Wet is better for them in the long run, and when they hit the age where they need medications and such, it is so much easier to administer them thru wet, not to mention the health benefits of keeping moisture in their diets.

Give her all the wet she will eat.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree but I am by no means an expert.My kitten gets both wet and dry.She seems to like the wet more but does not gorger herself on it and nibbles on dry during the day.She has gotten noticebly bigger i.e.grown during the month I have had her.Also her coat seems nicer and shinier and she looks great!I`m of the opinion that kittens/juveniles need the extra oompf! of a high-power diet.God knows she burns enough calories!

You sound like a great daddy,Kabukidad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the replies, I am feeding her a full can everyday and sometimes a bit more, she eats her dry stuff when I don't feed her often enough. tomorrow is her second check up so hopefully her weight is on par with her growth