TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I owe TCS and the members an apology.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I owe TCS and the members an apology.......

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I recently made some suggestive and insulting comments in IMO that were out of line and resulted in the thread being removed. I want to apologize to TCS and anyone who may have felt insulted by my comments. I truly meant no ill will towards anyone and not that it's an excuse, but I simply was emotionally carried away with the topic.
I apologize and hope all can forgive me.....
Sincerely,
Chey
post #2 of 19
I'm not sure which comments you're referring to, but sometimes I get all worked up in IMO too. Then, I feel like a jerk when I type angry things.

I know that I don't take what anyone says there personally. Anyone who cares about their cats as much as I care about mine is OK with me, regardless of differences in opinion in other areas.
post #3 of 19
I don't know what you wrote, but if it was in IMO you shouldn't worry too much about it. It's the nature of the beast.

BTW, I posted a thread in the TCS Supports/Announcements (not IMO) under "Forum How-To and FAQs" where the subheading states: No question is too dumb. My question was declared "silly" by another member - never got an apology.

From the definitions of silly on the Web, my idea was called:

cockamamie: ludicrous, foolish
airheaded: lacking seriousness
pathetic: inspiring scornful pity
foolish, showing a lack of good sense and wisdom; irresponsible
not intelligent

Did you call someone else's thoughts "silly"? If not, don't worry too much, huh? I think it's very generous of you to apologize!
post #4 of 19
Don't worry about it. Things tend to get a bit heated when discussing politics. I'm sorry if I inadvertently hit a hot button.
post #5 of 19
IMO - is where I get myself in trouble for some of my comments. I say what I feel, and there are topics that I'm passionate about (for or against).
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
IMO - is where I get myself in trouble for some of my comments. I say what I feel, and there are topics that I'm passionate about (for or against).
That's the power of opinion! Mine was heated in the moment!
Thank you to those who responded and to Telynn for not taking it for more then it was.....
post #7 of 19
IMO tends to bring out the tigress in me! I mean no harm to anyone, but that Miss MargeCat sure does get her claws out some days!
post #8 of 19
I've never taken offense to anything in IMO as I feel like this is supposed to be the one place we can "vent" on TCS.

No apologies needed here.
post #9 of 19
True and IMO because it IS an opinion, there should be a little more allowances made. Sometimes people think that you have to be "politicallly correct" in what you say, and I don't really feel that is right to restrict it.

There are things said that I don't agree with, but its a person's opinion. Why should we always be so politically correct and "in fear" of saying something wrong about a topic?
post #10 of 19
I can't always speak my mind either all the time without having to feel "guilt".
Isn't freedom of speech and rules (unwritten and unspoken included) strange sometimes?

That is nice to say you are sorry.
I didn't catch the thread though. Most of it is people want to hear their opinions validated or just want to convert others, no matter how many posts that must be posted so they feel they can shut another side down?

IMO seems to bring out the best and worst in people. I stopped coming here after I found out many members felt differently and a few felt the need to call me names & assume untrue things for my gentle nature on a topic (abuse) that was important to me. Just didn't feel worth the emotional surge anymore, still does not. Breaks might be needed
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post

IMO seems to bring out the best and worst in people. I stopped coming here after I found out many members felt differently and a few felt the need to call me names & assume untrue things for my gentle nature on a topic (abuse) that was important to me. Just didn't feel worth the emotional surge anymore, still does not. Breaks might be needed
I totally agree, I take small breaks from time to time. My opinions are never the most popular ones, and it's odd cuz when I talk to any one of my friends and family, we all agree unanimously and I am always pointing out random things and they are like you're totally right. Then I come here used to this kind of discussion and I'm so surprised that people not only don't agree but don't even see that side! So I definitely need breaks and sometimes I feel like I just shouldn't post on IMO because it has the potential to ruin the whole TCS experience...

cheylink- very nice of you to apologize and I didn't see the thread either so I don't know if apologies were necessary or not but it's very sweet of you
post #12 of 19
I think everybody understands -- I hope everybody understands -- a couple of basic things about IMO:

[1] The whole purpose of establishing this forum was to give a place where topics which are controversial, and can be expected to generate more passion and less temperate comments, can be discussed without being a drag on the lighter conversations in the Lounge. Following from that is the reality that there is more latitude allowed here in forms of expression than on the rest of the board.

[2] Even when we speak more passionately, that does not mean it's OK to be disrespectful, either of individuals or of cultures/views other than our own. But in the heat of the moment, any of us can cross that line without realizing it. Sometimes it's a matter of perception, and what is off-putting or offensive to one person rolls right off the back of another. So, it's not always easy to know where to draw the line.

In general, people aren't here to be offensive, and often are brought up short when they inadvertently cross that line and it's pointed out. Formal apologies aren't really necessary for the most part, because of the nature of this forum, but it's still nice when a person takes responsibility for their comments in this way.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
I recently made some suggestive and insulting comments in IMO that were out of line and resulted in the thread being removed. I want to apologize to TCS and anyone who may have felt insulted by my comments. I truly meant no ill will towards anyone and not that it's an excuse, but I simply was emotionally carried away with the topic.
I apologize and hope all can forgive me.....
Sincerely,
Chey
If you don't mind, I think I'll modify this a bit and use it as a disclaimer for all of my posts.

I feel much the same with probably half the posts I write. Even when I think I'm on to something, my presentation often sucks. And sometimes you hit the nail on the head, it gets misinterpreted, and you end up frustrated and getting carried away anyway. But alas, it's all part of the ambiguities of internet dialogue, eh. Kudos for coming forth, but don't fret it.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keycube View Post
If you don't mind, I think I'll modify this a bit and use it as a disclaimer for all of my posts.

I feel much the same with probably half the posts I write. Even when I think I'm on to something, my presentation often sucks. And sometimes you hit the nail on the head, it gets misinterpreted, and you end up frustrated and getting carried away anyway. But alas, it's all part of the ambiguities of internet dialogue, eh. Kudos for coming forth, but don't fret it.
Glad I could help.......
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragulescuGirl View Post
I've never taken offense to anything in IMO as I feel like this is supposed to be the one place we can "vent" on TCS.

No apologies needed here.

Sometimes we're just like our cats - there's some hissing & arched backs but let some time pass, whether it's an hour or a day....and we're cuddled up again
Some of the people here that I'm on the opposite political spectrum from are also the same ones who I will IM to give encouragement, friendship, etc. to other members in need....go figure
My hat's off to you, Cheylink, for the apology!
post #16 of 19
Boy, when certain topics come up in IMO, I tend to get myself into trouble at times or at least get people mad at me. So, that is why now I try to stay away from IMO as much as possible. I will fight for what I believe in and sometimes as hard as I try, I can get a little to carried away.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
I recently made some suggestive and insulting comments in IMO that were out of line and resulted in the thread being removed. I want to apologize to TCS and anyone who may have felt insulted by my comments. I truly meant no ill will towards anyone and not that it's an excuse, but I simply was emotionally carried away with the topic.
I apologize and hope all can forgive me.....
Sincerely,
Chey
I have no idea what thread you are talking about Chey, but I think it is really nice of you to think that you have to apologize for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragulescuGirl View Post
I've never taken offense to anything in IMO as I feel like this is supposed to be the one place we can "vent" on TCS.

No apologies needed here.
That is the way that I feel too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
I can't always speak my mind either all the time without having to feel "guilt".
Isn't freedom of speech and rules (unwritten and unspoken included) strange sometimes?

That is nice to say you are sorry.
I didn't catch the thread though. Most of it is people want to hear their opinions validated or just want to convert others, no matter how many posts that must be posted so they feel they can shut another side down?

IMO seems to bring out the best and worst in people. I stopped coming here after I found out many members felt differently and a few felt the need to call me names & assume untrue things for my gentle nature on a topic (abuse) that was important to me. Just didn't feel worth the emotional surge anymore, still does not. Breaks might be needed
I have never felt guilty for expressing my opinion on something. That is just me though, if I feel a certain way about something, that is just the way that I feel. No one has to agree with me, and that is fine with me too. But others will not change the way that I feel just because they don't agree with me on something.

I don't call others names just because they don't agree with me, that is their opinion, which they are entitled too.
post #18 of 19
Bless your heart for posting this. I always wind up in trouble for shootring my mouth off to soon, or when my mood is not good for the day. I like this forum because it is like family and bad days go away and you will still be around like family.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
Bless your heart for posting this. I always wind up in trouble for shootring my mouth off to soon, or when my mood is not good for the day. I like this forum because it is like family and bad days go away and you will still be around like family.
Exactly! There have been nights when I posted in IMO, and the next morning I was afraid to log into the site because I was sure everyone hated me! Sometimes emotions get the best of us and it's hard to express exactly what we have going on in our minds when emotions are high (at least I REALLY have a hard problem with that). But, we are family here, and an apology is not neccessary, but it was sweet of you. We all get "miffed" at each other at times in IMO, but go to the cat lounge and everyone is fine. Thats why I love this site!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I owe TCS and the members an apology.......