What was your favorite summer activity as a child?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
School ended in my area this week and the kids are trying to have fun despite the very persistent rain.

What was your favorite summer activity when you were a kid?

I always used to look forward to the arts & crafts classes at the recreational area near my house.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that smiley
it always reminds me of Kelly
(not because its what she looks like
)

We use to go to the a club every summer. Hang out by the pool, socialize, get some sun. We use to do it all summer.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, we lived next to a park that had an outdoor pool facility that my sister and I lived at during the summer. For twenty five cents, you could rent a basket to store your clothes, and swim all day! The same park had two rinks and a warming house for skating in the winter. There was also the Community Center, with an indoor pool, basket ball court, game room (with pool tables!) children's movies and cartoons, and craft lessons. My sister and I had tons to do as children!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice thread Karen.

I loved to ride my bright red, JC Higgins bicycle, with it's handle bar basket, across town to the public swimming pool. After our swim, we would pool our pennies to buy candy, so that had the energy to ride back home for dinner.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an inground pool in the backyard and basically lived in it, but we would go pool hopping around the neighborhood with our cousins because they had the same exact pool we did, and then our other cousin had a pool too, we all lived on the same street.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water fights! Though still to this day I have a scar above my eye from a boy from the neighborhood throwing a glass of water at me , well trying to, and hitting me in the face with the glass (made of plastic the impact did the damage)
On the plus side I had him wrapped around my finger for the rest of the summer, all I had to do was whine about my eye!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Swimming!! Loved it!
Yep that too. We were the family on the block with the pool (hence all the water fights)
Camping out in the yard in the REAL tent, not one made of blankets hanging off the clothes line. Hanging out in the blanket drapped over the clothes line.

Swimming and basking in the sun like a big lizzard.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going camping with my family in interesting places across the country. I managed to see the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, the Black Hills in South Dakota, Wisconsin (specifically Peninsula State Park north of Green Bay), Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, southern Arizona, and a lot of states in between as a child. We always ate off the camp stove, but sometime during those trips we'd all beg dad to stop at an A&W drive in. I'd get the mama burger (minus the mustard), french fries, and their famous root beer, then had to beat off my brothers and sisters from eating my fries. I still get teased about how I protected my fries.

When dad got too busy with the boy scouts over the summer, my next favorite thing to do was to head up to the community pool with my best friend Heidi. I didn't know how to swim, but we still spent hours splashing in that pool.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swimming and pretty much anything else to do with the water. I grew up living right beside a large river. We use to love to swim, canoe and sail. I was also big on fishing, and my most favorite was swimming in the rain.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going the the neighborhood pool with all my friends. Also, my grandfather had a house on a lake (we called it "the cabin") and we'd go swimming, boating, skiing, etc almost every weekend. Every summer my parents would take us up to Minnesota to a little camping place with cabins called "Little Norway". We would fish a lot, go to state parks, and various other things. I loved going up there!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All summer, I was in the pool. You couldn't get me out of the water hardly at all! If I wasn't in the pool, then my nose was buried in a book.

I also Loved fishing and camping...anything outdoors!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent my summers at what we called 'play school'. It was a program put on by the local parks department at the public schools, including a craft session, board games, contests (jump rope & hopscotch), and softball. You could participate in what ever you felt like; my days were usually a craft project then a couple of hours of softball with 1 other girl and a slew of boys. When the 'organized' program ended late afternoon we'd hang around a play hide and seek or kick the can.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I love that smiley
it always reminds me of Kelly
(not because its what she looks like
)
Keep digging your hole Pam

We used to always be in the park, swimming or in the cul de sac playing games. My Mum used to call me in at night and i would shout back "10 More minutes!", which always ended up another 30

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always looked forward to our family vacations each summer. Something crazy always winded up happening
usually involving me
I also used to spend a lot of time with my aunt and uncle going camping and swimming in their pool for the summer

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SWIMMING!

I absolutely love swimming. I lived with my grandparents for a long time when I was a young kid and they have a great pool. I was always in it, and everyone called me a fish since I was even more comfortable in water than out.
I also loved riding my bike and reading. I don't have a bike anymore, but I'm still the biggest bookworm you'll ever meet.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Swimming, and playing field hockey with the neighborhood kids.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature, hundreds of acres to run free, it was awesome and still remains a place of my sweetest dreams!
The pool, sports, the hot days, I love everything about the heat!