Litterbox Problem

brunhilda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My newly adopted cat Widget has a problem. She gets the general idea of litterbox, but instead of going consistantly on the litter, she defecates on the edge, so it dribbles down the outer side, collecting on the small rim.

I know that she is a new cat, but she shows no other signs of distress. She had plenty of time to plot where she's going to go, but she still does this (this isn't a case of her rushing and not making it to the middle in time).

The way I have been addressing this is when I catch her in the act i say "No, Widget," and gently move her. She's still not quite getting it.

Any other cat owners have this problem?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a litter-house, you know such a one with walls and roof.

Observe many cats are afraid of going through the door, so consider to take the doors off so it will be an opening.

Good luck!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get tall sided rubbermaid or sterilite bins. I have cats that stand to pee, and the tall sides keeps it inside. They have no problems with jumping over the sides of the boxes.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brunhilda

My newly adopted cat Widget has a problem. She gets the general idea of litterbox, but instead of going consistantly on the litter, she defecates on the edge, so it dribbles down the outer side, collecting on the small rim.

I know that she is a new cat, but she shows no other signs of distress. She had plenty of time to plot where she's going to go, but she still does this (this isn't a case of her rushing and not making it to the middle in time).

The way I have been addressing this is when I catch her in the act i say "No, Widget," and gently move her. She's still not quite getting it.

Any other cat owners have this problem?
First, please don't ever scold a cat for it's litter box habits. Even though you are being gentle with her, she doesn't have a clue why you are doing it and it could just lead to more serious problems.

I think a high sided litter box might solve the problem. My Coco sometimes stands too close to the edge of the box and the poop falls outside. I think a high sided one would work for her but it doesn't happen often enough for me to bother.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brunhilda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! the litter house thing sounds awesome

Mshaus, It is less of a scold, than just a gentle repositioning as she is doing her business- i had read somewhere that a gentle clap can help a cat rethink its position. I'll definitely discontinue this practice though!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you for the suggestions! the litter house thing sounds awesome
Yes, it is the easiest solution.

But Im wondering. Others did also give you useful advices, but none of them even mentioned the litter house.

Do you have them in USA so you know what Im talking about??

If not, it should be possible to buy it on postorder, perhaps even from abroad if need be.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats don't like covered litter boxes, they are too closed in and contain the odours. But you can certainly give it a go.

brunhilda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard of a litter house before, but I have seen covered litter boxes, is this what you are talkin gabout?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have never heard of a litter house before, but I have seen covered litter boxes, is this what you are talkin gabout?
Yes, I suspect that is what I mean!

It looks little alike a big transport carrier.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't mention the size of the box relative to the cat. If you can, try getting a larger box, or the rubbermaid container someone else suggested with high sides or a hood.

I have a cat who likes to pee etc... along the rim too. Boxes only come in small and medium here in Japan so I'm outta luck. Also I live in a studio, so the box has to be in the middle of my living area. I got a hooded box, she's been using it since she was a kitten so she doesn't mind. Inside the hooded box is another box that I line with a plastic baggie and put the litter in. There is about a 1' gap between the inner and outer. If she does tosses litter around or does her business on the edge she's jsut getting the mess on the bag covering the inner box or down in the space between the boxes.

brunhilda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom decided to buy the "grandcat" a specialized litter box for the litter I have been using (Feline Pine). It will be bigger, slightly higher sided, and if there is still a problem, i'll build a cover with plywood or similar.