Is calling a cat Fatty offensive?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom recently decided that she couldn't stand calling Fatty Fatty anymore. She said it was rude and offensive. Fatty is now Maddie. I disagree. Since Fatty is really quite skinny, I think it is funny in an oxymorony (lol, that's not a word) way. What is your take?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call my cat La Diabla, is that offensive? If she ever stops become the devil I will let you know.

I can see from a cat going from fat to sinny getting a new nickname, but she will know fattY
They know all sorts of names, (I often wonder how they keep up with them all, dogs and any other critters too!)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he was a tiny kitten I named Rocky after one of my favorite movie characters (the big muscular boxer) . I've always liked naming little animals with "big" names. I don't find it offensive whatsoever!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call my tiny kitty "fatty" and many different forms of it. It's definitely irony; when I put her on the home scale it says "error." She's just always been petite. Her most recent new nickname is "Mammoth Butt."

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Since Fatty is really quite skinny
I think you'll find a lot of Fatty's are skinny, and a lot of skinnies are chubby

A friend owns a pure white cat called Blackie.

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
me and my boyfriend call our one cat jack "fatty" sometimes.. i dont think its offensive.. the cat doesn't know the difference or the meaning.. lol.. we call him that (though he is very skinny thats why we find it funny too..) because he has never eaten people food but if you have it in your hands he is in your face.. lol.. he just wants to be nosy and see what your putting in your mouth.. we always say "ok fatty you cant have any.." lol.. but ya the same thing he's not fat at all it's just funny..

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call my Atlas Fatty Atty...and that's because he's fat
I personally think he likes it

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend calls her big male tabby "Toughie" because he is such a softie. She could have called him "Skinny," too.

What can be offensive? We call them for dinner, don't we?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of us have weird nicknames for our cats, but honestly I've never officially named a cat what I call it as a nickname. We had an orphaned kitten (Scarlett's sister) who my husband called "Large Marge" cause she was twice Scarlett's size. I argued with him and told him we would give her the official name of Maggie. We still called her Large Marge but the vet paperwork said Maggie.

Our OTB Bogart had chronic sinus problems. He answered to Booger Boy most of his life. Our OTB dog Ellie Mae loved to roll her body in cow poop. We called her "The Smell".

Keep Fatty as the nickname, particularly if he is skinny.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Baby Bonnie is staring to appear as if she isn't going to grow very much bigger (taller) at all - she's 9 months old now, and still has the stature of a large kitten with a very small head. Almost a munchkin, maybe just a tad larger.

However, she's a complete piglet and always has her head in the food dish or if I'm eating, she tried to jam her face in my food.

I've just started calling her "Porkie-pie" because she's growing a belly, and when I weighed her two weeks ago she was 8 pounds already!

So Porkie-pie is her new nickname, and I have no qualms about calling her that.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not like they know the meaning of the word. I call Pushkin fatty and variations on that theme, because he is a fatty with lovely jubbly cuddliness.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess if they aren't offended by it we shouldn't be either...I have a tendency to call my Pixie Miss Piggly Wiggly and it is because she's a butterball. She doesn't seem to mind, in fact she usually rubs up against me and purrs because she usually gets a treat when she hears that name...

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Shadow is bigger than his brother, Raven (who is very lean), and he (Shadow) has a chubby face. So, I call him my "Chubby Shudsy" and my "Pudgy Shudsy", but in a very cooing sort of voice. He loves it because I'll pet and scritch him as I say it to him. I don't think it's a big deal.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, it is only offensive if you call someone else's cat that or if you are saying it with the purpose of being mean.

I have one kitten who has always been larger than his littermates and at about 6-7 months or so he also started getting chubby. His name is Spot but I never call him Spot (well, sometimes Spottykins, but never Spot). I call him Chubby, Chub-chub, my giant kitten, Big Boy, Fattycatty, etc...

I am not being mean when I call him those things, I say it affectionately. He is now the biggest cat in the house, he even weighs more than our Maine Coon so I think he earned those nicknames.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often I call Daisy "Fatty" (or FAT-tee, with a faux British accent, LOL) but I try not to say it too much. A few months ago it was getting out of hand (meaning my overuse of the nickname, not her weight)

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called Chay fat once, and he gave me a very annoyed meow. I think he knew what I was saying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's offensive to the cat, but it could be offensive to a human who is sensitive about their weight to be introduced to a cat named Fatty......probably best to keep the pejorative terms as affectionate nicknames and give the cat a less offensive "real name".

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I named my newest kitty Marlow after a narcisistic, sociopath. The murderous character from the HBO series "The Wire".
Sweetest cat. What's a name?