A lesson in humility

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was the dreaded lab day for class, pericare, catheter care, all the embarassing stuff. We saw the quite graphic videos at our last lecture, and of course everyone giggled, even us old foggies. Today, hands on in the lab (on manequins of course) putting it into practice the giggles were no more. Well there were, ws an odd situation, but not nearly what I expected, and they are a nutty bunch!! My crazy lab group got a sence of it. We also placed bed pans under eachother, to see what that feels like, and put depends on eachother (all fully clothed of course) Not at all comfortable in either situation. A good lesson learned on what it feels like to be the person geting care in that way. Not fun. Not fun at all, but necessary to have empathy.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, and just wait until you have to do it in a clinical situation. You get hit with the smells, you see the looks on the residents faces, and you see the problems that occur when the "briefs" are on too tight, or they've been left on too long.

Then it REALLY hits you when you see CNAs treating them without an ounce of compassion, and you realise how one person can change their lives for better or worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yep, and just wait until you have to do it in a clinical situation. You get hit with the smells, you see the looks on the residents faces, and you see the problems that occur when the "briefs" are on too tight, or they've been left on too long.

Then it REALLY hits you when you see CNAs treating them without an ounce of compassion, and you realise how one person can change their lives for better or worse.
That is what I am afraid of heading now soon into my clinicals. I didn't need this lab to let me know how bad it can get, seen it with my own eyes which is why I chose this path. To try to help. I fear I am going to be snapped back so hard, but I WANT so bad to be that one person that does still have compasion and helps. Rose colored glasses, no way, I know the reality.
This one very sweet girl asked in class "Will we have any time to visit with the residents?" Her answer was a sad no, not really, depending on where you work.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you can be that person. As long as you see them as a person, you will continue to treat them with respect. You can cut corners, and work fast while still being respectful.

Where I did my clinicals, we got time with the residents while they were eating. There was a couple of residents who I adored, who didn't have family and needed help with meals. So I would always try to get them, and chat to them while feeding them, even if they couldn't really communicate back.

I would also just pop my head into the rooms and say hi to people as I walked by - they appreciated when we would just remember them.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous and yet excited about 'going back to school' for all my Nursing Assistant training next week...although I have been there before back in 2005! But I guess there have been a few changes to clinical procedures and patient care since then.....

I know that as part of the training we have to practice on each other, such as feeding and Last Offices (fully clothed of course!
) I'm dreading Patient and Manual Handling, I hate being lifted up in those hoists! But I guess we get a sense of how it feels for the patient too.