Showing Kittens in CFA

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been browsing the CFA site and trying to find out more information about kitten showing. I have ordered a breed standard manual and show rules manual from their site to try and understand showing more.

From what I understand, titles won as a kitten don't count toward a cat's championship status? They can become a regional winner or national winner kitten, but kittens don't win champion points?

Man, CFA titles are confusing

So, showing a kitten is beneficial for your cattery's reputation if they do well, and it is also good for the kitten in terms of getting her used to the show hall. But.. they basically begin again, once they reach 8 months, on their championship and grand champion points.

Another question, for a kitten/cat to become a regional or national winner in CFA they need to have a lot of show points. Does this mean that a super nice cat who doesn't make it to a lot of shows has less of a chance to become a national winner than an average cat who makes it to every show, every weekend, all season?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Found something that may help me understand:

Regional/National Points Scoring

At the completion of the show season, a cat/kitten will be credited with the points from its highest 100 individual rings (40 for kittens).

If a cat is exhibited in shows totaling 100 rings or less (40 rings for kittens) total credited points will be the sum of total points earned.

All points credited must be earned while competing as a particular color. Cats/kittens that have earned points under more than one color description will only receive those points earned under the color description for which they were eligible and last shown (see show rule 2.08).

In order to be eligible for a regional award, a cat/kitten must be shown at least once in the region of final assignment (see regional assignment section). Breed/Color specialty rings which provide a judging(s) beyond the number of judgings available to other entries will not be scored for National/Regional points
I guess this helps to even the playing field so to speak.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten awards count only as a kitten - not as an adult. You probably stand a better chance on Regional awards if you cannot get out to at least 2 shows a month (or more, for campaigners). And it depends on how well the kitten is finalling. You could go to less shows and have an outstanding kitten who takes a lot of Allbreed finals (with high point counts).

Personally, I'm just thankful my cats grand (premier) in CFA - I don't even "try" to get a regional/national award. Its too competitive and back stabbing IMO. And I'm NOT gonna be showing my kitten/cat in that many shows either. Jack was ok with the first 2 shows as a kitten, he was not in a good mood for the 3rd one even tho he finalled in every ring. It was too much on him with 3 shows in one month. He'll have a 2 month break and come out in the alter classes in August. I limit to one or two shows a month (if available).

CFA is kinda easy to figure out for grand - 75 pts (75 premiers defeated) and 200 for champion.

In ACFA its different; and in TICA - I have NO idea - someone tried to explain how my cat Spooky got granded in one show (he was never registered in TICA, so an unofficial Grand).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

I have been browsing the CFA site and trying to find out more information about kitten showing. I have ordered a breed standard manual and show rules manual from their site to try and understand showing more.

From what I understand, titles won as a kitten don't count toward a cat's championship status? They can become a regional winner or national winner kitten, but kittens don't win champion points?

Man, CFA titles are confusing

So, showing a kitten is beneficial for your cattery's reputation if they do well, and it is also good for the kitten in terms of getting her used to the show hall. But.. they basically begin again, once they reach 8 months, on their championship and grand champion points.

Another question, for a kitten/cat to become a regional or national winner in CFA they need to have a lot of show points. Does this mean that a super nice cat who doesn't make it to a lot of shows has less of a chance to become a national winner than an average cat who makes it to every show, every weekend, all season?
In essence you're right. You could be a National Winning Kitten without gaining any adult titles. Someone once calculated that you could get an RW with around twenty rings BUT, it has to be the RIGHT 20 rings and the kitten has to final top 3 in every ring! In other words, going to the large count shows like the IAMS show or any 6*6 shows. With show sponsorships going way down and the number of shows in every registry going down as well, I would think that achieving an RW or NW would be slightly easier. It also depends on the region that you're showing in. A lot of strategy goes into achieving such titles.

For example, I am in Malaysia...not an easy Division to even get 40 rings for any kitten over here, however, by strategy and also by luck, my Whata became a DW - 3rd best kitten in ID Asia, 11th Best Aby Kitten Nationally. Not bad for a kitten that only had about 26 rings to his name.

A great kitten may not be an RW but could be a one show grand!

A brief brief!

CH - Champion, achieved by attaining 6 winners ribbons for adult cats over the age of 8 months
PR - Premier (same as Champion)

GC - Grand Champion, achieved by defeating 200 other Champions
GP - Grand Premier, achieved by defeating 75 other Premiers

(One show grand - is a big fat deal and not easy to acheive anywhere!
Not really a title but deserves much bragging rights!)

RW/DW - Regional/Divisional Winner, achieved by being Top 25 in either Kittens, Championship or Premiership for that particular region or Division

NW - National Winner, a misnomer nowadays since points are calculated globally and there are more and more cats achieving such titles outside of the US. Achieved by being Top 25 in the CFA world in either Kittens, Championship or Premiership

BW - Breed Winner, achieved by being Best Cat (ie. highest # of points) for that BREED, and not necessarily a(n) DW/RW/NW.

DM - Distinguished Merit, bestowed upon a female that has given birth to 5 grands or a male that has sired 15 grands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Aby (=

My kittens come from lines that have produced a lot of titled cats, and on their pages there are two cats that have managed to grand in one show. Lots and lots of work have gone into those kittens and it's nice that they are being recognized for it. I'm excited about showing in the future. Maus on this coast are slightly different than on the East and it will be interesting to see how we do over here.