When to spay?

.kitten luvr.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys I just recently adopted at two month old female kitten (who will be named Lily) who is a torbi (and is quite the beauty) I will be keeping her in my room until shes more adjusted and slowly introduce her to my resident 5 year old girl Felicity using the slow introduction and if everything goes smoothly hopefully she can have the entire run of the house in a months time). I will be taking her to the vet on the weekend to get a vet check and her booster shots as well, Ive been reading that she should get spayed when she's around 3-6 months old and was wondering about the best time would be. She's pretty tiny but is very curious around her surrondings, is sociable with the other kittens, clean eyes and ears and bum and seems healthy otherwise which is a good thing. She was born April 04, but I am trying my best to make everything go smoothly between the two as I will be taking all the advice on the forums about introductions. I will be calling around to find a vet that is closer to the house as felice doesn't like traveling and I don't want her stressed out as she needs her shots as well. But I was just wondering when I should make her appointment to get Lily fixed, I don't want her to overwhelmed and get sick with a new home and a new family (not worried about her taking to my resident cat more like the other way around).
Any advice would be great

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With advances in anesthetics spaying can be done as young as 8 weeks if the kitten weighs at least 2 pounds. Many people like to wait until the kitten is 3 months old. Some vets still wait until what was once the traditional 6 months. My vet is like that. I talked her into spaying my little girl kitty at 5 months because I really didn't want to deal with a cat in heat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

With advances in anesthetics spaying can be done as young as 8 weeks if the kitten weighs at least 2 pounds. Many people like to wait until the kitten is 3 months old. Some vets still wait until what was once the traditional 6 months. My vet is like that. I talked her into spaying my little girl kitty at 5 months because I really didn't want to deal with a cat in heat.
I think its easier on them the younger you spay them. You can get your girl spayed anytime now as long as she is 2 pounds. Talk to your vet about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get her spayed by the time she is 3-4 months old. If you wait longer, you risk her escaping and getting pregnant.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I think its easier on them the younger you spay them
I agree, they bounce back much quicker when younger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

.kitten luvr.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well she will be getting spayed soon, unfortunately I am going to be giving her to the SPCA to find her a more suitable home, Felicity, is going crazy (as I knew it would) and shes pretty stressed out, the kitten is fine though, she is an absolute sweety and will have no problem finding a loving home, I actually can not at this time physically handle taking care of two cats when Felice is just seems so unhappy (she feels shes abbondoned) and the kitten would be quickly adopted into a home where she can get the run of the entire place and not just stuck in one room which she may always be since Felice was never socialized growing up and will attack and most likely kill this kitten and I don't want Felice so stressed out and the kitten so scared, I know it takes time but the thing is my IBS is acting up because my nerves are so badly shot I am petrified of them fighting especially since felice is around 10 times bigger then her, I spent the last two days extremely sick and worrying about what would happen if the two ever fought, and basically I am the only one who is willing to spend the time with her but I don't think Felice will ever be a more the one cat only household

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it isn't working out.
Are you giving her back to the place where you got her?