!!!!!!!!!!

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am quite frustrated and need to vent. We adopted Halo, a blue point mitted Ragdoll from a breeder. I did some research on breeders and some of them were extremelly cautious and care very much about their babies. I really appreciate that, it's how it should be
. Let's just say Halo was an easy pic....he is adorable, fell in luv with him when I first saw his pic on the breeder's site.
She really didnt ask many questions to us at all, but we e-mailed each other back and forth. I sent her the deposit and we met half way the day she said he would be "ready" to go to his new home. I got the kitty, gave her the rest of the $ and she asked me if I had brought the copy of the contract. I said no, of course I didn't have it, I thought she, THE BREEDER was bringing it. Well, she forgot. She said she would mail it and it has been 3 weeks and nothing. I tried e-mails with no response. weird.
I am not worried abut getting his papers for we are not breeding him. He will be neutered soon. But, wth? And she gave me a paper with the shots that were given and his birthdate....he was only 7 1/2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!
I know this is not right....

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something does not seem right with the breeder.
First she sold you a cat she did not fix then she forgetsthe contract.
It sounds fishy to me.
Can you pm me her website?
What shots were iven and at what time?
My sister got cheated by a breeder also and teh same thing happened with the shots.
How old was he when you got him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What shots were iven and at what time? Wormed 5/22 and 5/29. Feline Panleukopenia on 5/30.
How old was he when you got him?
Born April 7th 2009 we met May 31st....she was going out of town and agreed to meet that day.

Halo is going to vet on Saturday for check up

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This breeder sounds like a bad breeder.
First thing is the kitten was to young to leave.
Breeders keep the kittens until they are 12 weeks at least.
Most also fix them before they go to the new home.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Lesson learned. Several breeders I researched do spay/neuter to make sure they continue to breed for the right reasons. It's a hassle to "only mail the papers" once you prove the spay/neuter. That could still allow people to sell purebred kittens without papers....or for thecat to procriate and unwanted litters.
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im PMSing
Plus I was the one worried about what kind of food was he eating, wet/dry, etc. we had some litter issues at first, I contacted her about what kind of litter was he used to. Last time I heard from them

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sire and dam do not come up when I check them out.
I have tried a few sites.
Do you now if she shows her cats?
You said she did not ask many questions before she sold you the cat.
That does not sound good.
Most the breeders I know are strict on who their cats go to.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on where the breeder is, some vets will not do pedeatric spay/neuter. Many of our local vets make you wait until they are 5 months, but worming is generally 7-10 days apart starting at 8 weeks so he should not have had two wormings at 7.5 weeks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the registries in the US work the same as over here, but we have regulations on when we can sell kittens (12 weeks in my state) if sold beforehand you could report her to the association.

You say you've had no email response, I suggest you try to ring her.

I don't understand why you went through with the purchase if you were unhappy with the lack of questions compared to other breeders - that should have been a red flag.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I don't understand why you went through with the purchase if you were unhappy with the lack of questions compared to other breeders - that should have been a red flag."
I wasn't unhappy... At first, she was very nice just not concearned enough. I came to that conclusion afterwards though, my fault. My intentions were good, I have a healthy happy kitten and that's all that matters at the end for me.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
7 1/2 weeks is too young to leave home. It could also be too young for first vaccinations depending on the type of vaccine being used. Keep a close eye on your kitten, this is a tough age to be leaving mom and I'd be concerned about the vaccines stressing an immature immune system. Not to mention the fact that the vaccines might not be fully effective, as your kitten still has passive immunity from the mother's colostral milk.

If I were you, I would have the kittens next set of vaccinations given at 10 and 13 weeks of age. Get in touch with your vet and set up a vaccination schedule.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ferriscat. We took Halo o the vet yesterday and he is doing great and is up to date on his shots. I agree he was too young to let go. I wonder if there is an age limit for kitties sold by breeders.....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is very good you are happy with the cat contend with him being a pet. He is healthy and you dont have any problems. Great!

The problem the breeder is apparently a real bad "breeder" is essentially not yours. This is really a problem for the serious breeders, especielly in Ragdolls.
btw, The surrending of the kitten in between on a parking lot is rather suspicious by itself! Serious breeders do very seldom so.

(You took a winning lottery ticket from her, as your cat is without any issues nor problems
).

Yours problem is you surely paid for a pure bred cat, but you did get de jure - a moggie, although of decent ragdoll type.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

I wonder if there is an age limit for kitties sold by breeders.....
It depends on the association where they belong, As I know 10 w being the minimum in the most liberale of them (Some indenpendent clubs have it as I know).

Thus as rule of thumb, no breeder would seld a kitten before 10 weeks as minimum. Most breeders keep on the 12-weeks rule.

Some breeders tend even to keep them a couple weeks extra...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see the mom is 4 years old at least.
The pics were taken in Jan 2006 that are on her website and she looks full grown in the picture.
The cattery is not on Paw Peds.
I also looked on TICA but the cattery is not listed.
It says she is registered with TICA though.
Your cat may not even be a purebred.
My sister got a phony Devon Rex.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

The cattery is not on Paw Peds.
I also looked on TICA but the cattery is not listed.
It says she is registered with TICA though.
Not everyone puts their peds onto pawpeds.

Not being on the TICA website may not mean anything either, I am registered in 2 associations but am not on their websites. However if you ring my associations they can tell you I am registered.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a mess, I know. lesson learned..... I've been researching alot and you gals are right, lots of breeders wait until 12 weeks to send the kitties to new homes.....and in many cases already spay/neutered on top of shots. That is how it should be IMO.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are happy with your kitten and sorry to hear about the bad practiceses of this breeder. We don't even vaccinate our kittens until they hit 9 weeks. Most of the time our kittens are ready for their new homes around 14 weeks. They always are spayed/neutered before placed.

Here is a list complete of cattery names in TICA. This does not indicate whether or not they are in good standing just that the names is registered.

http://tica.org/public/breeds/includes/cattery.pdf

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

TI wonder if there is an age limit for kitties sold by breeders.....
In the GCCF which is the main cat registry in the UK, no registered kitten can be rehomed until AT LEAST 13 weeks of age - they have vaccinations at 9 weeks old and boosters at 12 weeks old, and they can't be rehomed within 7 days of being vaccinated.

Under GCCF UK rules any breeder registered with them homing a kitten earlier than 13 weeks old can be fined and suspended from the registry (or disbarred if it is not a first offence) - but I should stress this is a matter of civil law, not a criminal issue, and there is no legislation on the matter.

If the breeder is registered with any of the large registries, report them to the registry concerned.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

In the GCCF which is the main cat registry in the UK, no registered kitten can be rehomed until AT LEAST 13 weeks of age

If the breeder is registered with any of the large registries, report them to the registry concerned.
We have the same rules here, though it varies by state from 8-12 weeks.

Someone here may be able to tell you if TICA or CFA etc. have the same rules, and then do report the breeder if they have broken the rules.