"Above The Thunder" -- my father's book is out!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After months of delays, my father's book has finally been published by Kent State University Press in Ohio. It's their featured book for this month:

http://upress.kent.edu/index.htm

And you can also find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Above-Thunder-...5348844&sr=8-1

(Or just go to Amazon and search for Raymond C. Kerns.)

As you may remember, Papa passed away in February 2008, but he knew his book was being published, and had even seen the text and illustrations in nearly final form. He was so happy!

And I'm so proud. The book is beautifully done, hardbound, and it has gotten rave reviews from some major historians. I'm convinced that it's not just my bias as his daughter -- my father really was a wonderful natural-born writer, and he had a whiz-bang story to tell!

If you have any interest in WWII and aviation, or if you just love a good true adventure, I think you'd really enjoy Papa's book. (And I imagine it will start showing up in libraries in a few months, if you're not up for the investment right now.)

I just had to share this with you guys! Thanks for listening!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Congratulations! It looks like the type of book my DH would be interested in and I will point it out to him!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if its going to be carried by any of the big book stores in the near future? I am definitely going to read this and will order it thru Amazon now if its not coming to a store soon. As we've discussed, my grandfather served in the Pacific during WWII and was also a pilot. I never got a lot of stories from him, but suspect that your papa's book will fill in some gaps for me. Wouldn't it be a total hoot if they knew each other?

For your
papa
:

And btw......you've just explained where you got your eloquence with words from......

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How exciting Carol.

You must be so proud of your dear Father.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the product description sounds great.
I have a good friend that loves WWII history. I will bookmark your papa's book and try to buy it for him for Christmas. I bet he would love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Do you know if its going to be carried by any of the big book stores in the near future?
The marketing department at KSU is supposed to be doing press releases and review copies and so forth in the next couple of weeks, and I'm sure I can find out then what the distribution scheme is. It may be that it's just too much of a niche-market book for the major bookstores... I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

Also, the price on Amazon is about eight dollars below cover price, which puts it almost as low as the "author copies" price we pay to the publisher (after our initial box o' books for free) -- so Amazon is a really good buy!

Originally Posted by Momofmany

And btw......you've just explained where you got your eloquence with words from......
Aw, shucks. Y'know, truthfully, I know I can write a bit... but I have to work at it, and the reader can tell how hard I'm trying. By contrast, my father's writing is perfectly natural, seamless, unselfconscious... in his writing, the emotional impact sneaks up on you, instead of hitting you over the head. He had an amazing gift.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

After months of delays, my father's book has finally been published by Kent State University Press in Ohio. It's their featured book for this month:

http://upress.kent.edu/index.htm

And you can also find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Above-Thunder-...5348844&sr=8-1

(Or just go to Amazon and search for Raymond C. Kerns.)

As you may remember, Papa passed away in February 2008, but he knew his book was being published, and had even seen the text and illustrations in nearly final form. He was so happy!

And I'm so proud. The book is beautifully done, hardbound, and it has gotten rave reviews from some major historians. I'm convinced that it's not just my bias as his daughter -- my father really was a wonderful natural-born writer, and he had a whiz-bang story to tell!

If you have any interest in WWII and aviation, or if you just love a good true adventure, I think you'd really enjoy Papa's book. (And I imagine it will start showing up in libraries in a few months, if you're not up for the investment right now.)

I just had to share this with you guys! Thanks for listening!
Carol, I am SO excited! I just ordered it from Barnes and Noble. I am going to give it to DH for Father's Day - along with the new Yogi Berra biography - but I am going to read it first and be the first to review it for B&N!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sweetie, thank you! I've been wanting to post a review, but it seems wrong coming from the author's family. It would mean the world to me if you did it!