We're going raw !!! Questions...

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've decided that the very best diet for my kitties is the raw diet. I've also found that buying fresh meat/organ/bone etc. from the local market is so much cheaper and I'll be able to feed all four for around the same price as my natures menu pouches and James Wellbeloved kibble.

So.. heres a few questions!!

Galileo and Nefertiti are three months old and Amadeus and Symphony are four months old. What are the safest meats to feed to kittens?

Can I feed bones to kittens?

Do I need to cook the meat or do anything to it before serving? (warm it up a little so it feels like prey)?!

Pet shops sell frozen mice for reptiles to eat, would cats like a mouse as a treat? (my friends think its revolting that I'd give them a mouse but hello whats in a can of cat food?)

And erm I guess anything any one wants to tell me about the wonderful world of raw diets would be good too thanks guys

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything that's good for an adult cat, is good for a kitten. There are no meats you can't feed 'em; that includes mice and other whole prey.

Don't cook anything - it removes much of the nutrient profile that makes feeding naturally so healthy for your cats.

Not only CAN you feed bones, if you go 100% raw, you NEED to feed bones.

See here for some detailed info. (Please note - I have the info for the "Sourcing Meat" section and am in the process of asking the mods to add it.)

Good to see you here on the "wild" side of feline nutrition.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Everything that's good for an adult cat, is good for a kitten.
At 3 & 4 months they can eat bones, they can start at 5-6 weeks old.

You may need to break up chicken necks or wings at first so the bones are smaller, but they will be strong enough to chew them.

I don't warm the meat up, they get it right from the fridge or at room temp. They don't mind either way.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I beg to differ.
Do not feed raw pork, as it can cause Aujeszky's disease, or pseudorabies.
I think it is worth emphasising that it depends on where you live. From the above link (my added bold):

Until recently, Aujeszky’s disease was endemic in the United States; however, a successful eradication campaign has eliminated the virus from domesticated swine. A surveillance program is now ongoing, and as of June 2007, all states are classified as status V (free). Aujeszky’s disease virus remains present in feral pigs in the U.S., which is a concern for transmission to domesticated herds. Aujeszky’s disease has also been eradicated from domesticated swine in a number of European countries, as well as Canada and New Zealand. Additional countries are conducting eradication programs.
In the US the risk would seem to be very low. The OP, however, lives in England.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answers!! I wouldn't want to feed pork very much anyway as I don't think its the most digestable of meats for a start also I would rather feed meats they would more naturally eat (if they had to go and catch their own). (Like mouse, rat, a small fish, chicken and lamb other poultry etc.)