Male cats - smoochy?

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - random question. Are male cats more smoochy than female cats?

All the male cats I've met absolutely adore me (ahem) and would fall asleep in my lap / arms purring contentedly.

The female cats seem to like their own space and would spazz out if I hugged them too tight / patted them for too long... they seemed to like to come to me on their own terms, and then hop off the affection-bus when they felt like it.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cattypolly

Hi - random question. Are male cats more smoochy than female cats?

All the male cats I've met absolutely adore me (ahem) and would fall asleep in my lap / arms purring contentedly.

The female cats seem to like their own space and would spazz out if I hugged them too tight / patted them for too long... they seemed to like to come to me on their own terms, and then hop off the affection-bus when they felt like it.
Lucy gets all worked up if I walk by and give her a pat on the head or even try to kiss her on the head. When she wants attention, she'll jump up on my lap, all lovey dovy, knead and drool. Moose and Rocky accept affection from me much more willingly.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 girls and 3 of them are to friendly.
Cleo scared people because she will jump on people and start hugging them.
Coco has always been very friendly and bothers anyone that come over.
So does Meeko.
Sasha is scared of people like a typical Russian blue.
It depends on the cat how friendly they are.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sort of depends on the cat. We have 2 males, and 1 female.

One of the boys loves snuggling and petting, but he doesn't like to be picked up.

Our other boy likes to be carried around (maybe because he has a better view), but will not hold still for just petting.

Our girl doesn't like to be hugged or pet for very long, but she does like to cuddle at sleeptime, and she's always trying to groom us. She gives us "kitty kisses" on the nose. (She licks our noses.)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It totally depends on the cat and their individual puuuuursonality

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

It totally depends on the cat and their individual puuuuursonality
I agree, depends on the cat

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - I have tended to all kinds of rescue cats and some are kissy and cuddly and some are not. But - I do find a teensy bit more lovey-dovey-ness from the boys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was going to say. I was born in the UK, grew up in a SE Asian country (aged 7-15), now have settled in Australia.

There were so many stray cats running around in the country I grew up in! It was also a Moslem country so cats were considered the ideal pet. Unfortunately there was not much in terms of spaying campaigns. Anyway, it became a regular thing for cattpolly junior to bring home little bundles of fur to nurse them back to health (so many street munchkins around - all skin and bones, the chronic ones that nobody dared touch were infested with mange and all sorts of strange cancers... they were also unbelievably feral). Anyway I developed scalp tinea thanks to kittehs. Sigh.

What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, the strays were all uber friendly. Survival instinct. But the males were smoooooooochier once neutered. The females just became a little menopausal.