Question on "Speical Cat" wet food

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was at Walmart last night and was looking at options to save some costs on pet food. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the Special Cat brand. Right now they are getting Friskies. I would love to save some money, but I also don't want to buy cruddy food for them. So I thought I would ask if any of you have an opinion on it. Or should I stick with what I am feeding them?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Special Kitty, IMO, is worse than friskies. A huge step down from the marginal.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Special Kitty, IMO, is worse than friskies. A huge step down from the marginal.
Special kitty is filled with things like meat by products ( ie this actual could include horse , cat etc.)... It is IMHO a very low end food ...

Friskies is not high end but marginally better IMHO than special kitty ...

Are you feeding only wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No I have dry out for them to free feed as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what kind... often folks will give premium dry with what ever wet they can afford ...

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I have seen, the store brand generic foods are equivalent to purina, friskies, etc. Ingredients, protein levels, etc are the same. Any time I need to feed lower quality food, I go generic. I haven't had cats for years until Fin, so maybe values have changed. But this still holds true for dog food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by badkelpie

From what I have seen, the store brand generic foods are equivalent to purina, friskies, etc. Ingredients, protein levels, etc are the same. Any time I need to feed lower quality food, I go generic. I haven't had cats for years until Fin, so maybe values have changed. But this still holds true for dog food.
The mineral values may be the same, the ingredients, however, are not. They use bottom of the barrel ingredients to cut their price.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cheap food = eat more = cost more

Good = eat less = cost less

It basically evens out. You feed them crap food with corn and by-products (the stuff they scrape off the floor) and they will eat more to get their nutrition (what of it there is). You feed them the good stuff, they will eat alot less and poop alot less and the box will not smell as bad.

I wouldn't feed a stray/feral kitty that "Special Kitty" crap!

Definition: Meat By-Products are parts of slaughtered animals, not including meat (please note: no muscle meat included). Included are lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue, and stomach and intestines freed of their contents.

What AAFCO doesn't mention is that meat byproducts may also legally contain: "4D animals (dead, dying, diseased, down), road kill, euthanized cats and dogs, including their collars. These source products are rendered, the fat is siphoned off to be used as "animal fat," and the remaining material is extruded to form "meat by-product meal."

"Meat," by definition, is limited to the meats of cows, swine, sheep, and goats."
Also Known As: Meat By-Product Meal