Question Of The Day - Wednesday, June 17th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! It's a gloomy, rainy day here. I didn't even get to sleep in today, because I had a meeting this morning at work...on my day off!!!

Here's today's Question Of The Day.

Do you exercise regularly (or even semi-regularly, lol?) If so, does your routine change much with the seasons or with the weather?

In the winter, I go to the hospital fitness center when I get out of work, four nights a week. I can't stand going there in the summer, because they don't turn the air conditioning up enough. I detest being too warm when I exercise!!! I also walk on my treadmill every evening when I get home. In the summer, my mom and I walk the Pere Marquette Rail Trail, or the walking trails around the hospital....as long as it's not too hot or raining. If it is, I'll just do the treadmill at home. Of course, I keep my home air conditioning like a refrigerator, lol!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the most exercise I get is carrying those tubs of litter in and out of my house
I would like to get an elliptical for when I'm watching TV, but I don't want to get a cheap one and the good ones are around $800. Everytime I think I'm going to have the money for it, something else comes up
So, I'll just be extra squishable for awhile

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do yoga, I was a pretzle person! Have not in quite some time, amazing how those muscles just wont cooperate with you after being sat down at the computer and TV!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always gone through phases of exercise and laziness
. I'm very inspired at the moment beacuse my doc just informed me that my blood pressure is a bit high. So, I've just started a new program of brisk walking (along with diet change and relaxation exercises). Right now is perfect outdoor walking weather, but in the winter I'll probably join the gym again and use the treadmill. I want exercise to become a regular routine for me!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely have my moments.

Actually I have always worked out in some way my whole life, but in the last few years it has been more here-and-there.
I will be starting a new program soon, though, as in next week that Im excited about.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to be a lot better about exercising then I am now. Up until a couple of years ago I belonged to Curves and went 3 times a week, and tried to walk at least a couple times a week as well.
However once the O.A. in my knees and shoulders begin getting worse I had to stop going to the gym.
I do try to get out for a walk at least 3 times a week now if possible but have to be a bit more careful and not over-do it.
I have been thinking about switching over to swimming a few times a week instead which would be a better idea. Luckily one of the resorts about 10 miles from where I live has a nice heated pool and offers memberships.
I have to watch swimming in lakes or the Bay because if the water is to cool it makes my shoulders ache.
Added bonus, I can also use the whirlpool and sauna at the resort both of which are great for my O.A.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't follow a set routine because of problems with my back and knee. I do try to walk at least every other day. I also do a set of exercises that are designed to help my knee, but I don't do them nearly as often as I should.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try to get to the gym 3 times a week. I generally just do weight training on the Nautilus equipment. I get a fairly good cardio workout while I'm doing it, but I will add in 15-20 minutes on the elliptical machines some days.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

the most exercise I get is carrying those tubs of litter in and out of my house
I would like to get an elliptical for when I'm watching TV, but I don't want to get a cheap one and the good ones are around $800. Everytime I think I'm going to have the money for it, something else comes up
So, I'll just be extra squishable for awhile
If you haven't, you should look for used ones on Craigslist. Now is the time when all those people who bought ellipticals for Christmas have finally realized they'll never used them and are selling them. I looked the other day and there were 5-6 being sold with descriptions like "$1500 new, selling for $500 - only used a couple of times."

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk my dog, tend bar and do groundskeeping all of which entail lots of walking and upper body strength, does that count?

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work out at the gym 3-4 times a weeks doing strength training and cardio, that doesn't change depending on the season.

I walk my dog once or twice a day and take her to the dog park about 3 times a week during the spring and summer. During the winter I let her outside for a little bit every day for a few minutes but I can't really walk her or take her to the park because it drops down to about -30C here and she's just a little Dachshund/Jack Russell cross so even with her sweater and coat on, it's still much too cold for her. I'll put her winter gear on and carry her in my jacket with her head poking out if I'm going for a walk to the store.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Do you exercise regularly (or even semi-regularly, lol?) If so, does your routine change much with the seasons or with the weather?
I excercise my fingers daily
oh, and usually my mouth too.

Seriously though, once upon a time, prior to age/injuries/illness, I did. I was quite active...I took karate, belonged to a gym and worked out at home too. Lots of walking.

Then kids came: excercise was a daily walk to the park.

Then kids got older, I got injuried, etc.: I try to go for a walk at least 1x a wk.

But, I do need to, and am trying to get my life in a "schedule", right now, it's bedtime/awake time that I'm focusing on.

I do need to start exercising regularly... other than the many excuses I come up with for procrastinating, I do have physical issues that limit me from saying I'll go for a walk M, W, F or scheduling. So I have to say that I will walk at least once this week for a min. of an hour. It works better for me though to schedule though

But I am working on not being a couch potato anymore, and that in itself is the start of exercise for me... I do more around the house now, than I've done in a couple years... I run up the stairs instead of asking my kids to, etc.

And on that note, I just got motivated to go up and down the stairs for a few.... cya

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No! But I should.

I'm thinking of joining a gym with a coworker for some light cardio. After working all day I'm so exhausted, not to mention all the chores/errands that pile up for non-work hours. I really do think it would help me though. Give me an energy boost and hopefully help my crappy immune system as well.

So, we shall see!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to do some specific stretches and exercises for my core area, but have slacked off. Mainly due to being too busy with other stuff and because they were setting off the "coat hanger pain" as it's called.

But as for actually exercising. No, never. Just walking from one end of the house to the other can cause a dramatic increase to my heart rate that does not feel good. I avoid jogging or running because that is even worse.

I do house work, though, which can be pretty labor intensive but I do as much of that as I can sitting down! It keeps me from falling and when you're down at floor level (if scrubbing the floor) you're less likely to miss dirt.

I have no worries about gaining weight. GI's too messed up.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work in Manhatten but live in New Jersey, so when I come into the city I walk across town to the building where I work in the morning and back across town in the evening to the NJ buses. The walk is about one mile each way so in 5 days thats 10 miles I walk. Thats enough exercise for me.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are pretty regular with workouts around here. Lately it has ebbed because of busy wedding stuff. But we usually go for a bikeride, rollerblade or play tennis almost every night.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Do you exercise regularly (or even semi-regularly, lol?) If so, does your routine change much with the seasons or with the weather?!
interesting question my friend...

I Use to walk at least 30 minutes early morning Just only during summer, because is to hot here and need to take a bath before to go work...

Unfortunately our winter is very HUMID, so I must to change the walk for some task at home...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually exercise 3x a week doing pole fitness (this past week and next week I'm scheduled 4x because of some make up classes when I hurt my back).

Monday and Thursday are my practice nights, and Wednesday is a class night. I do 50 jumping jacks to warm the body, then our stretches. Then we do our pole fitness stuff, before starting strength training at the end. The strength training ranges from different types of crunches, push-ups (last night's push-ups we were upside down on the pole doing them off the floor), sometimes jumping jacks or "happy jacks", leg scissors, V-ups, etc.

Been doing this since January, in the beginning it was 2x a week but I enjoyed it so much that the next session I signed up for 3x a week and have been going that often since. The weather hasn't changed it, although it gets SO hot in the studio in the summer. I was almost insta-sweating yesterday after the jumping jacks! Sometimes it just makes me want to stay home in the nice cool AC

Hubby and I also will probably get back into bike riding once my bike is fixed.