Walking Jackets

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ingjacket.html

Has anyone used both the walking jacket and a harness? The walking jacket is about twice as expensive as the harness and I'm wondering if the cost is worth it? My main concerns are safety (escape proof), comfort and ease of use(I don't want to make it hard to put on and peeve the cats). If there is very little difference between the two, then I will just pick up the harnesses at the local pet shop rather than ordering online.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For Kody there was a huge difference between the two. We bought him a harness when we first brought him home. He hated it, to put it mildly!!! Maybe if I had persisted he would have finally gotten used to it, but I tried it numerous times and he would never do anything but roll around on the floor trying to get it off. And he usually succeeded in getting at least one leg free.

On the other hand, when I got him the MetPet walking jacket, he acted from the very first like he didn't have anything on. It is very secure and I guess maybe alot more comfortable.

I know his breeder had told me get a jacket, not a harness--but I didn't see what the big difference could be--but there apparently is. I highly recommend the MetPet. There are also alot of other cute jackets (little leopard print, etc.) available from various breeders (Bengal Breeders have several) that look very nice too. I happened to order the MetPet off EBay, but later found it is cheaper from the actual MetPet site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kody. That's a pretty good endorsement for the walking jacket.

Now, I have to ask if I really want to do this...to take indoor only cats out seems is opening up the pandora's box...

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Kody has worn it around in the house much more than he has been out in it. I want him to be out with me much more than he wants to be out. Maybe he was just too old to get used to it -- he'll be 4 in July -- but I don't think he has much desire to be out, at least on a leash that is. When we attach a leash to the jacket he does not like it. Just runs back to the patio door wanting in!!!!

Sugar Ray was inside/outside and when we were out in the yard he just loved sitting out with us. If we would walk down the street he would follow us. I miss that (& him).

When we got Kody last year I read about Bengals walking on a leash. I haven't given up yet though!!

Honestly though he doesn't even notice he has the jacket on. He would wear it in the house all day and never act like he even noticed a thing.

Anne

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about these too. my cat Tora is an escape artist and has escaped from a regular cat harness before. She loves to be outside but I don't want her wandering around unsecured. I'd love to be able to sit outside with her on a tie-out so she can explore but I don't want her to be able to escape. Are these pretty secure?

Thanks

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex and I bought a walking jacket years ago. It was the only harness that one of our cats couldn't escape from. It didn't get a ton of use, but I still have it and occasionally use it on one of my current cats. It is very secure, and even when squirming and trying to back out of it, I haven't had a cat successfully get free. I would be careful about leaving a cat unattended in the yard however--because she couldn't escape, she would be at risk were another animal to enter the yard.

tonyar109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your sharing, now i am thinking about get them for my cat too.

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I haven't had a cat successfully get free. I would be careful about leaving a cat unattended in the yard however--because she couldn't escape, she would be at risk were another animal to enter the yard.
Thank you!
I don't plan on leaving her unattended. We have a beautiful deck and I want to sit outside with her but not have to follow 6 feet behind her all the time.
I think we're going to order one for the crazy cat and see how she does