Does anyone else read the ending of a book before starting it?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to know how a book ends before I start it. I read everyday, and always check out the endings of fiction stories. I know it ruins it, but I have to know!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg same here!!! No one understands me, everyone thinks i'm not human or something!! This is not only for books but for shows and movies- I love spoilers and they don't spoil anything for me. I'd rather know because if I don't like how a book ends, I will stop reading it LOL. And if I don't like what happens further in a show I stop watching it... I tell myself what is the sense of reading this if I will be disappointed in the end?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mariya, that is too funny!

For me, it's only with some books. I only read the end of a book before getting there naturally if within the first couple of chapters I'm dying to know! I don't want to race through the book just to get to the end. That way my "need to know" is satsfied, and I can enjoy actually reading the book, not just getting through it to get to the end.

But I totally understand wanting to read the end first.

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, what do you guys do when it's a series and doesn't actually end - or hasn't yet? (aside from utopia, we know waiting bugs her already
)

I don't skip around unless it's an anthology and I want to read a particular author first, otherwise I'll finish the book in a few hours anyways - why peek?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I look at it, you have only one chance to see the story unfold as the author intended. The second and third time you read/see the story, you will know the ending, but the first time is the only time you'll get to experience the suspense! I would never want to ruin that!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I have to know how a book ends before I start it. I read everyday, and always check out the endings of fiction stories. I know it ruins it, but I have to know!
Originally Posted by ut0pia

omg same here!!! No one understands me, everyone thinks i'm not human or something!! This is not only for books but for shows and movies- I love spoilers and they don't spoil anything for me. I'd rather know because if I don't like how a book ends, I will stop reading it LOL. And if I don't like what happens further in a show I stop watching it... I tell myself what is the sense of reading this if I will be disappointed in the end?

I like not knowing how it ends until it ends.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I HAVE to read the ending also. I read the end before I buy a book. It does not spoil the end at all. It is more exciting to me to see how they get to the end.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*gasps*

I have never done that - the ending is the motivation for finishing the book

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

*gasps*

I have never done that - the ending is the motivation for finishing the book
Never for a book or a movie.

TV shows like Idol and Survivor, etc, I don't care. I like spoilers, and if I have to work when it airs, I'll find out the ending to see if I want to bother watching it. I still haven't watched the AI finale!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way! I had a friend (in grade school) who would always read the ending first. It really irritated me so whenever she borrowed books from me I would forbid her from reading the ending, but to compromise I'd cover the rest of the page and let her read just the last word or sentence.

I hate finding out ahead of time what's going to happen in the end (or middle for that matter) of a book/movie/show I am watching. If I am reading or watching something that I know people are going to be talking about online I avoid going to any websites where they might talk about what happens until I've finished it. If I am watching a TV competition and someone tells me who wins I sometimes don't even want to watch the rest of the show anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I HAVE to read the ending also. I read the end before I buy a book. It does not spoil the end at all. It is more exciting to me to see how they get to the end.
I didn't read one book because the ending seemed so unbelievably sappy. I was glad to have not wasted the time on it.

I'm the same way with movies. If I'm with someone who's seen it before I badger them to tell me how it ends, which they usually won't do.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it a couple of times. I was so disappointed when I finished the book...there was no anticipation of reaching the end, no satisfaction of the whole reading experience, that it has effectively cured me of reading the ending! Although, I read pretty fast....I just read the latest Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" novel in about 4 1/2 hours (even between periods of the hockey game, lol...I couldn't put it down!!!), so maybe I don't have the temptation because I know I'll get there pretty quickly anyway!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere into the first chapter I have to read the last page of the book.. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a back page checker, but now it just ruins the process of reading the book. I also was the kid who hunted down my X-mas presents hidden, they could not find a spot to hide I would not find!
I prefer now to let life happen, good or bad, I am never bored!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really read the ending usually, but often I do skip ahead and read a few paragraphs to see what's coming up next.