Fashionable Hair is Expensive!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to get my hair cut today and decided to get a colour and some highlights just for something different. Usually I use a store bought colour and do it myself after I get my hair cut.

The girl did a great job. I left everything up to her and told her "surprise me!" She kept the auburn base, a lighter one than I would normally have picked. And then she did blonde highlights. Lots and lots of blonde highlights! She told me that she chose the lighter auburn and the blonde highlights because of the grey in my hair. She said that when my hair starts to grow out the grey will be less obvious.

Anyway, it looks fabulous!!

However, I nearly passed out at the cash register when I was told "$183.28 with taxes!"

My hair is short and it grows fast, so in 2 months when I go to get it cut again, the colour will be mostly cut off. And I'm sure not spending almost $200.00 every 2 months on my hair! So I think this will be a one time summer look and then back to the bottled store bought colour for me!!!

PS: Can a moderator please fix my spelling boo-boo in the title please?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that would have been a shocker...
However if you do like it, it is nice to treat yourself to something special once in awhile...
Two months will get you through the summer with a spectacular new do

And who knows in the fall you might go for something completely different again.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to an Aveda salon. About 5 years ago I decided to brighten up my hair as I still have very few greys. Currently for a cut/color/highlight and eyebrow wax its $140. Yikes!!

I have shoulder length hair so I try to drag this out to 5 months and trim my bangs myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Wow that would have been a shocker...
However if you do like it, it is nice to treat yourself to something special once in awhile...
Two months will get you through the summer with a spectacular new do

And who knows in the fall you might go for something completely different again.
The last time I had a cut, colour and highlights was 2 years ago when I used to go to a place near where I work. The price was $85.00, and my hair was longer. I sure wasn't expecting more than double that price at this new place I've been going to since the beginning of December. I figured maybe $100.00 or $120.00. But $183.00?!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually go to the Aveda school here in the area... they have them all over. I have shoulder length hair. A cut/trim and color (even two tones or highlights) comes to under $60... you get different people, but that way you get varying opinions and styles...

See if you can find an Aveda school nearby... they're WAY cheaper... and their products are plant based, which is awesome.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well the good thing is if you decide to go again she will just have to do touch ups, so it wont be that expensive again.

ETA: Aveda products are the best! I love them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Well the good thing is if you decide to go again she will just have to do touch ups, so it wont be that expensive again.

ETA: Aveda products are the best! I love them!
She did say that the next time would be just a root touch up. I have no idea how much that is though! If I change my mind and decide to try and maintain the colour, I'll make sure I ask first!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The last time I had a cut, colour and highlights was 2 years ago when I used to go to a place near where I work. The price was $85.00, and my hair was longer. I sure wasn't expecting more than double that price at this new place I've been going to since the beginning of December. I figured maybe $100.00 or $120.00. But $183.00?!
Yeah I would have probably went into shock...I am lucky because my oldest niece is a hairdresser so all I have to do is invite her over, feed her a nice dinner and she'll do a trim while we watch TV....

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will probably be somehwere around 1/2 that price, maybe a little more, and if you love it, its so worth it to keep doing it at the salon. Not only is there 'something' about having someone else do your hair, but the longer you go, the healtheir your hair looks. IMO

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that is pricey
One time I paid $145.00 and thought that was just too much. I had no idea it would be so much. I had been getting highlights and paying the usual $70.00 price for cut and color. (these days it's $80.00)

The stylist told me that it was because it's a two step process. The base color first then the highlights.

One of the girls in the shop had just had her hair done and I really liked the color and the highlights. I told my stylist that I wanted that color. Had no idea it would be so much more.

When I was getting just highlights I was not happy that she was doing it ever other visit. Her explanation was that the highlights made the gray less noticeable. I noticed the gray and didn't like going so often.

Now I stretch out the time between visits and just do the cut and single color. I would do it myself if I could. But with my arthritis I have a hard time reaching the back of my head. So getting the color even is hard to do.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This last time I went in (never go for something different when one is sick) I got a three color which two were a couple shades lighter and darker than the base he used. He knows I like to stretch out my appointments so the grow out won't be do obvious!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you got the highlights and low lights, thats really beautiful.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spend about $20 max on a cut and then $20 more on L'Oreal Colouer Expert to do my own color. I know the girls at work spend a lot on hair, nails, etc. I just cannot imagine dropping that kind or cash for a haircut.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotta say, right now (because I'm working full time and so is DH), I get mine professionally cut and colored every 8 weeks. It's pricey (~$120) but it's SO worth it. I could never get the color to look this good from a bottle.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I wanted to get my hair cut in layers a while ago, I looked for salons with only GOOD reviews online. I had a photo from a magazine I wanted to use for my haircut. I found a good salon but it was expensive... It took me a while to get the courage to actually get my hair cut (it was a short-ish style and I'd always had long hair with no layers.) When I finally did it was almost $100 total. I had 'sticker shock' since I had previously been going to a cheap place and just getting trims, but I knew I was paying for a good salon and for assurance that they would not mess up my hair so I paid it... If I had wanted highlights it would have probably approached $200... I am still going to that salon but I usually wait a lot longer between visits than what they recommend.
I want to do highlights or lighten my hair but I don't want to have to deal with having to re-do the roots every few weeks.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I went to get my hair cut today and decided to get a colour and some highlights just for something different. Usually I use a store bought colour and do it myself after I get my hair cut.

The girl did a great job. I left everything up to her and told her "surprise me!" She kept the auburn base, a lighter one than I would normally have picked. And then she did blonde highlights. Lots and lots of blonde highlights! She told me that she chose the lighter auburn and the blonde highlights because of the grey in my hair. She said that when my hair starts to grow out the grey will be less obvious.

Anyway, it looks fabulous!!

However, I nearly passed out at the cash register when I was told "$183.28 with taxes!"

My hair is short and it grows fast, so in 2 months when I go to get it cut again, the colour will be mostly cut off. And I'm sure not spending almost $200.00 every 2 months on my hair! So I think this will be a one time summer look and then back to the bottled store bought colour for me!!!

PS: Can a moderator please fix my spelling boo-boo in the title please?
It sounds GORGEOUS, but holy crap, that's a lot of money!!!
I might have actually passed out!
At least you like it!