Evolve cat food...dry...opinions

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a feed store that relocated into town and I stopped in the to see what kind of food that they have for cats. And much to my surprise they had Evolve (at least I think that was the name, I will call and confirm in the morning) in a purple bag. I have heard of it but never done any research on it. I am thinking of trying the cats on it because compared to the cheaper stuff I have been buying they are in the same price range (5.99 a bag).

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is the food I am thinking of ( links help
) IMHO it is decent

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wandered into a new pet store near me today and they had loads of samples---one of them a little bag of Evolve. I actually just gave it to my kitties and they love it. I read the ingredients and it sounds excellent.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but I'll give my opinion.
It has too many grains. (That said, I always feed grain-free so that could just be the result of personal bias.) Corn Meal and Corn Gluten Meal are low quality grains whichever way you look at it. Well, corn gluten meal is just byproducts and leftovers after the "best parts" of the corn is gone, and regular corn meal is not usually used in high-end foods because it's not easily digestible. Ground brown rice is a good source of carbs and natural fiber, and is a much higher quality grain product, so it's good that's in there as well.

I'd prefer real eggs over "dried egg product" and I don't like "brewer's dried yeast," which is dried yeast that is the byproduct of brewing beer and ale.
I'm glad to see good quality meat products like the chicken and chicken meal, rather than chicken byproducts, so that's a plus.
Dried kelp is a good source of vitamins such as iodine and calcium. Iodine helps the thyroid function properly. It's also a good natural source of vitamins B and C and beta-carotene.

While I wouldn't really want to feed it, I have to say it's better than a lot of food I've seen.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Corn Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherois), Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Canola Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Lecithin, Salt, Taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, Dried Skim Milk, Dried Kelp, Dried Cheese Products, Yucca Schidegera, Cranberries, Blueberries, Tomato, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Spinach, Lactobaccillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Enterococcus Faecium, Vitamins: Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Minerals: Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex and Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brewers yeast is a EXCELLENT source of B vitamins IT ALSO is a ALLERGEN to many ...

Corn or corn gluten aid in UTI health and are the main reason NOT ONE of the " super premiums " ARE UTI CERTIFIED .... That said I DO NOT like BOTH in a food nor too high in ingredients....

Corn and BROWN rice have the same digestibility

Egg product IS REAL egg .. Is it the highest quality no, more like powdered egg used in some restaurants... It is still a GREAT ,HIGHLY digestible protein source

Kelp is another great source of vitamins and minerals BUT is ALSO a known allergen ... Also it is often chemically treated

FOr the $$ it is more than decent ,YES grainy but decent

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Corn Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherois), Natural Flavors Can be anything including MSG, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Canola Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Lecithin, Salt, Taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, Dried Skim Milk, Dried Kelp, Dried Cheese Products, Yucca Schidegera, Cranberries, Blueberries, Tomato, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Spinach, Lactobaccillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Enterococcus Faecium, Vitamins: Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Minerals: Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex and Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does look decent, but some cats would have problems digesting the fruits & veggies, the yucca, and the milk. That's too many potential problems for me to risk it, especially when all those things are unnecessary in a cat food.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The corn vs. brown rice digestibility rate is something I've been told over and over in my research. I stand corrected, I guess. I know you know more about cat food than I do, I'm just confused about the conflicting information.

I didn't say dried egg was horrible, I just said I preferred more wholesome egg products.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

The corn vs. brown rice digestibility rate is something I've been told over and over in my research. I stand corrected, I guess. I know you know more about cat food than I do, I'm just confused about the conflicting information.

I didn't say dried egg was horrible, I just said I preferred more wholesome egg products.
Yes, things conflict.. I basically figure it to be a likely fact if three different sources agree
.. MOST give WHITE rice digestibility which is VERY VERY high ... Humans do NOT digest the fiber of brown rice well CATS do NOT at all... The b vitamins are lost in cooking in brown rice ..Cats also have very low ( the vet books actually say no ) need for any carbs . Do I prefer brown rice to corn YES>.. less allergen likelihood.. a touch of fiber for those who need it( I have dealt with many cats who cant handle the extra fiber )

Egg product is WHOLE egg just the leftovers, kinda like the stuff that sticks to the pan in making an omelet or scrambled eggs ... M anywho have studied cat nutrition will not like it due to it having both the yolk and the white ...