Crying before Soiling

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Out of the Stray's last litter, I still have 4 Kittens. They are now about 16 weeks old. As tiny babies, they would cry to get their mother to lick them until they were able to void. At about 4 to 5 weeks when they started venturing out, they would still cry as they looked for a place to soil, usually in some corner on the carpet. I eventually got them trained to do it in the litter box by listening for this cry and picking them up and putting them in the box before they soiled (too much). This crying was useful at first, and I figured it was something they would outgrow.

But they are close to 4 months old now, and they are still making that odd call as they dig and circle in the litter box, getting ready to void. They have a regular schedule, their "product" looks normal, and there is no evidence of blood or worms. SO why are they still making this call? Will they ever outgrow it? Is there anything I can do to help them?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's strange. I've never heard of this, but then I've not had much experience with kittens. I'd check with your vet just to be sure there's not a health issue, or possible a breeder who has frequent experience with kittens.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be interesting to know why but I know ReeRee still does this. He is 2.

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat tells me about everything, incuding when he needs to use the litterbox. He will meow at me with a very perticular mew before he has to go no1 or no2(he uses a differant meow when he has to pee than when he needs to go no2, and also a differant whine when his litterbox is dirty). He is around 4 or 5 years old and shows no signs of any plans to stop telling me when he needs to do his bussiness.

Then again, for a domestic shorthair to be as loud as my cat or as vocal, I am told is unusual. He has higher pitched vocals than a siamese, but talks more than they do from what I have seen. he uses a series of whirs, churps, mews, purrs, purrs while mewing, grunts, and half a dozen other differant vocal sounds to let everyone know how he is feeling and what he wants. because of his loud voice and desire to tell me about everything he is doing, I guess I never found him letting me know about his desire to use the litter box as being that unusual.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old female DSH has to tell me when she's going to the bathroom about 75% of the time, including at 2:00 am. At first I thought she might be having issues, but it's only to make sure I'm aware of her activities :-)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny - That is one of the only times Bugsy meows calling for his mommy - to go potty
Bugsy is 2, btw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess that since it seems fairly common, I won't worry too much. But out of the many cats I've owned and fostered, none of them have ever done this. I'm just worried that it's going to annoy the new owners. I've worked hard to rescue them, and don't want them to get dumped somewhere because of some silly habit.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would see if you can make it apart of their adoption agreement that if for whatever reason they can no longer have the cat they bring him back to the shelter and the shelter notifies you. Anyone who has rescued a cat or dog knows that even though long term adoption may not be a reality at the time we would do whatever is needed to keep them safe till long term homes became available. They take a little piece of your heart.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Halo is 10 weeks and does announce about his business. Also we hardly go to the basement, I am yet to put a litter box down there....well. he always cmes to me and meows when is time to go. Up the stairs and to the litter box we go.
I wish potty training my 18 month old was that easy

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Add that box to the basement if you're going to have such a little kitten down there. It's best to have one on every floor a cat has access to, anyways.

Originally Posted by Reun

Then again, for a domestic shorthair to be as loud as my cat or as vocal, I am told is unusual.
I don't think a loud DSH is unusual at all. I've have several who were loud - I've noticed females tend to be the loudest and "yell" till they have my attention.

My DSH Tomas, is a fairly loud boy. He lets me know, often, when he needs to use the litter box. He also likes to play what I've named "Cat and Seek". Similar to hide and seek but he's not always necessarily hiding. He'll yell for me (same meows as "I have to use the litter box" meow) from another room/other end of the house because he has something I have to come see. Sometimes it's a new novel hiding spot, other times he just calls me in the room to watch him go...

Hopefully the kittens grow out of it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^Add that box to the basement if you're going to have such a little kitten down there. It's best to have one on every floor a cat has access to, anyways.

I don't think a loud DSH is unusual at all. I've have several who were loud - I've noticed females tend to be the loudest and "yell" till they have my attention.

My DSH Tomas, is a fairly loud boy. He lets me know, often, when he needs to use the litter box. He also likes to play what I've named "Cat and Seek". Similar to hide and seek but he's not always necessarily hiding. He'll yell for me (same meows as "I have to use the litter box" meow) from another room/other end of the house because he has something I have to come see. Sometimes it's a new novel hiding spot, other times he just calls me in the room to watch him go...

Hopefully the kittens grow out of it.
Bugsy (Ragdoll) is really unusual... he is VERY quiet - the only time he meows is when he is going potty. I say "hi baby, I am here", and he happily goes potty
. My baby boy is too cute