About TICA show rules

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if Scottish Folds with straight ears are allowed in TICA shows?
I'm having hard time finding answers to my questions as my english really isn't that good..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have them here, Scottish Folds and Scottish Shorthair/Longhair. TICA website only show the Folds, so I would assume they can't be shown.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The standard calls for folded ears, so I would assume a non-folded would be disqualified.

Ears: Folded forward and
downward. Small, tightly folded ear
preferred. The ears should be set in
a cap-like fashion to expose a
rounded cranium, not set high on the
head. Size of ear is not as important
as ear set and fold. Ear tips to be
rounded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was kind of afraid that might be the case. How about the household pet division..?

Damn, why don't we have any cat associations here which would allow Scottish Straights.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

The standard calls for folded ears, so I would assume a non-folded would be disqualified.

Ears: Folded forward and
downward. Small, tightly folded ear
preferred. The ears should be set in
a cap-like fashion to expose a
rounded cranium, not set high on the
head. Size of ear is not as important
as ear set and fold. Ear tips to be
rounded.
Scottish Shorthairs are usually a seperate breed, Nial.

Can't speak for TICA but we accept them here in NZCF

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Scottish Shorthairs are usually a seperate breed, Nial.

Can't speak for TICA but we accept them here in NZCF
Interesting. It does appear that TICA doesn't recognize the non-folded as a seperate breed. Folded shorthairs and longhairs are accepted.

I didn't see a breed listing for Scottish Shorthairs with CFA either.

I wonder why your registry would consider the non-folded a seperate breed?
Folded and straight eared kittens come from the same litters.

Am I missing something here?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have them as a separate breed just so the standard reads correctly for the ears. They have the same standard apart from that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, maybe for the same reason that NZ (not sure about Australia) accepts the non-spotted (classic tabby) Ocicats as a separate breed and not just a division of the Ocicat. The breeders still produce the classics in Oci litters (only spotted are allowed to be shown), so they petitioned for a breed (Classicats) for those kittens. The classic is not the same as the ASH classic tabby - its a little longer and kinda like your marble. Sorta between the marble pattern of a Bengal and the Classic tabby of the ASH.

BTW straight-eared Folds can be shown in the household pet classes, but a lot of them are kept for breeding to Folded eared cats.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nial, maybe for the same reason that NZ (not sure about Australia)
Just NZ, they also go by Jungala depending on the association.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nial, maybe for the same reason that NZ (not sure about Australia) accepts the non-spotted (classic tabby) Ocicats as a separate breed and not just a division of the Ocicat. The breeders still produce the classics in Oci litters (only spotted are allowed to be shown), so they petitioned for a breed (Classicats) for those kittens. The classic is not the same as the ASH classic tabby - its a little longer and kinda like your marble. Sorta between the marble pattern of a Bengal and the Classic tabby of the ASH.

BTW straight-eared Folds can be shown in the household pet classes, but a lot of them are kept for breeding to Folded eared cats.
I guess that makes some sense. Many bengal breeders want the marbles and spotted to be classified as two different breeds. Personally, I think it needs to stay the way it is. They ARE the same breed, just different patterns.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, are the spotted ones (since you have 4-5 different type of spotted patterns) all judged as "best spotted"? If so, why couldn't you all have division where you have best spotted, best pawprint, best rosette, etc.?

Then you could have BOB out of the marbled and spotted (each as its own division). The MC's have division between the macs and classic tabbies.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nial, are the spotted ones (since you have 4-5 different type of spotted patterns) all judged as "best spotted"? If so, why couldn't you all have division where you have best spotted, best pawprint, best rosette, etc.?
LOL. Martice, you have seen the bengals at shows. Obviously a finite number, but what you're suggesting isn't remotely possible. Spotted/rosetted bengals come in such a vast and diverse variety, there would be no way to classifiy them to categories.
As example, you can have single spotted bengal that has pancake rosettes open rosettes, arrow head rosettes, paw print spots and just spots.

There are any combination of the above in any bengal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH - well I certainly learned some thing new about the Bengals.....
But why would breeders want to make them 2 separate breeds?

Am glad the Oci people decided at the beginning to only pick one "style" for the show bench..........Spotted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Really? In TICA? That would be great!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am curious about breeding for colour. I know in the Mau world, very rarely will a silver be bred to a bronze. Silvers and smokes will occasionally be bred, but breeding a silver to a bronze can result in either a tarnished silver or a faded bronze. Now, in a breed that has a limited genetic pool, would this not cause problems eventually? Will the bronzes and silvers begin to differ subtly in phenotype?

I'm sure that the same thing happens in many breeds and even species. Experienced breeders of horses, dogs, or whatever will advise newbies to look for conformation/temperament before colour. Cats are more of an aesthetic animal however, I think. A lot of people have the colour cat they want set in their minds before the form or even breed.

Just curious.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the same thing with sphynx.
They are not judged by colors at all.
I will be looking for a show quality sphynx soon and I will not bein going by color.
The Aby breeder I bench with has a few colors of Abys.
People think they only come in Rudy but it is not true.
CFA only allows 4 colors of Abys to be shown for some reason.
TICA allows more.
I will show in TICA in October and bench with the same breeders I bench with in CFA.
It seems evveryone is ditching the Fresno CFA show for the TICA Lodi show.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have just heard of a Vegas CFA show in July. I may go to it as it is cheaper for me to fly to Vegas than to drive to Portland, OR.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see the Vegas show.
I know who a few of the judges are.
There is also a TICA Reno show July3-5 that I might try to go to for 1 day.
Mary and Jerrie want me to go.