Scared of the litter tray?

catmint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two wonderful cats: mother and son. Both are spayed and are indoor cats. For the last month Juanita, the mother, has started to refuse using the litter tray when urinating. This has never happened before. They have used the same litter tray for the last 5 years with no problems whatsoever in the past. She has been peeing right outside the litter tray, which is bit and has a cover. I change it and clean wash it once weekly, clearing the stools nearly on a daily basis.

I have been observing Juanita and trying different rememdies to encourage her to go back to do her business in the litter tray. I have used newspapers with a few drops of vinegar which has works for a couple of days until I replaced the newspaper for a new one with fresh vinegar. As soon as the the whole thing dried up she went on to peeing on it which was her location of choice. Right after she started to pee on on the rubber matt I have by the litter tray entrance to avoid pebbles travelling to far when they are stuck to their paws. This has now been going on for over a week.

On a couple of occasions I have noticed that she has approached the litter tray with extreme caution. On on of these occasions Juanita just retreated and the first time I saw her she actually did her business only to rush away from the litter tray, as if she is scared of it.

I´m a bit lost right now. She´s never had this problem. There hasn´t been any changes around the litter tray. Her son seems to be ok with it. Any ideas I can put in practise??

Thank you everyone in advance.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be a UTI, when they pee it hurts and they associate the box with the pain.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats.....I have 3 litter boxes.....one covered...one not covered...and one that is a storage container and not covered,but really deep. Different strokes for different folks.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Could be a UTI, when they pee it hurts and they associate the box with the pain.
It sounds to me also like it could be UTI thats how my Patch and Wheezer act when they have UTI's.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

It sounds to me also like it could be UTI thats how my Patch and Wheezer act when they have UTI's.
Ditto for me. See a vet. If it's a UTI you'll need to get it cleared up then retrain her to the box. If it is a UTI, things won't change until she is well.