Let me introduce "The Pile"

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so I conquered one of my downfalls yesterday, at least temporarily anyways

You see, I am not the most organised of persons. I know where everything is, but it is NOT organised.

I have a beautiful desk
it is mahogany type of wood, and I just love the reddish wood looks. Unfortunately, you can seldom see any of the wood.

My desk is referred to as "The Pile".... I throw things on it, everyone else throws things on it, and the only organised part of it is the one cubby with the paid bills in it (that's the to be filed part...I file it once it is full, and I do mean full).

You never ever know what might be lurking on my desk.

So without furthur blabberings, I introduce The Pile

see, I told ya.... its a pile, its not a desk.

Anyways, I cleaned it yesterday. Honestly it took a couple hours because I'd find things that go upstairs or wherever, which lead to clean a bit up there till I realised I got sidetracked. My purse got cleaned too, because there was coupons on my desk

I sorted and organised everything, even the corkboard above my desk, I took off all the pinned stuffed and sorted it. I am overly impressed, and am going to make an effort to keep it clean

Here's after:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Wow, nice work. I kind of love your desk!
Thanks, me too. (got it at Staples)

It works perfectly for the room its in (the shape it is), plenty of room if it is clean...more cd holders if wanted (they are in a box)....I love the colour.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have heard that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...

I should clean mine. Really, I should.

Anybody want to loan me a bulldozer?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yea I've heard that a messy desk is a sign of a genius
Hehe it's true though most people whose right mind is dominant aren't organized. And although they say that left minded people are good at math and science, while left minded are good at social sciences and literature, most famous mathematicians like Einstein were right minded..So yup I think it really does mean genius

So- you did such an awesome job organizing your desk and it looks really pretty, but the fact that you weren't in the habit of keeping it like that isn't such a bad thing after all

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of my old desk....before I got a file cabinet (the one Maggie likes to jump into!) That desk was like an archaeological dig...new stuff on the top of the pile, prehistoric stuff at the bottom of the pile. Life is so much less complicated now that I can e-pay, and file the bills all at the same time!

Nice desk! It looks like it has lots of working space. I'd love one of those corner desks, but my furnace register is in the wrong place to accomodate one (it's not really in a good place for this desk either!)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The desk looks better. I'd remove most of the folders/binders and books from the top shelves. Being different sizes and colors they make it look a little disorganized and would make it really easy to stuff more junk in there. Space out those pretty figures instead so that you can show them off more.

Originally Posted by ut0pia

oh yea I've heard that a messy desk is a sign of a genius
Hehe it's true though most people whose right mind is dominant aren't organized. And although they say that left minded people are good at math and science, while left minded are good at social sciences and literature, most famous mathematicians like Einstein were right minded..So yup I think it really does mean genius
So is your desk messy, and what's your IQ? See if you can prove the theory a little.

Mine is messy, my IQ tests out at 147-152 (depends on test and day), but I'm not that great at math - really good with recognizing patterns and other things, though, that do suggest a right brain predominance.

The rest of my house...was.. spotless. I have move some tables and cat stuff back to the living room later. I find a minimal look keeps me organized better because then mess/clutter affects the flow/pattern of the room which drives me absolutely crazy till I fix it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

WTG Chris! Isn't it nice not smoking
Chris, you'll have to take a picture of the desk again for us next week!

Gary tries and tries and tries. Within two days of organizing anything, you can't tell within a few days he ever straightened out.
What he does now is stack. He tries to see how high he can get things going before they topple.

GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

So is your desk messy, and what's your IQ? See if you can prove the theory a little.

Mine is messy, my IQ tests out at 147-152 (depends on test and day), but I'm not that great at math - really good with recognizing patterns and other things, though, that do suggest a right brain predominance.

The rest of my house...was.. spotless. I have move some tables and cat stuff back to the living room later. I find a minimal look keeps me organized better because then mess/clutter affects the flow/pattern of the room which drives me absolutely crazy till I fix it.
Lol i've never taken an IQ test before, but I'm sure you can guess from the way i'm biased that I do have a messy desk

The right side of my brain is predominant, that's for sure because I am terrible at math and I almost never think logically about anything..I don't use numbers, I'd rather say "a lot" vs "a little" lol or illustrate the difference verbally by comparing it to something rather than just saying two numbers..
I am messy but I do try really hard to keep everything organized. I organize twice a week and everything stays organized for about a day..so most of the time it's a mess.
I don't know if IQ is a good way to test that, but most people that I consider intelligent and share opinions with are messy, forget things all the time just like me ...
I've lost my keys 3 times this year and then found them and I've had my cell phone taken to lost and found about 4 times..I am soo lucky that people are so nice to me and I always find my things or they're returned to me...
I guess after all it is all just my bias, because I naturally consider people who agree with me intelligent and closer to a genius

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The desk looks better. I'd remove most of the folders/binders and books from the top shelves. Being different sizes and colors they make it look a little disorganized and would make it really easy to stuff more junk in there. Space out those pretty figures instead so that you can show them off more.
Actually I'm quite happy with it the way it is
All those different folders and binders are 95% related to computer programming, graphics, printer papers, etc. and belong on a computer desk

The figures, well, I like the closeness, they are stuffed animals, and things I want to see together.

I like it just the way it is.... I didn't say it was organised to "everyones" standards, just mine and after a couple hrs work, I'm very proud of it

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
forgot to multi quote LOL (see, disorganised
)

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

WTG Chris! Isn't it nice not smoking
Indeed it is....so much energy that I don't know what to do with it LOL.

Originally Posted by LDG

Chris, you'll have to take a picture of the desk again for us next week!
Ummmmm, NO.

Gary tries and tries and tries. Within two days of organizing anything, you can't tell within a few days he ever straightened out.
What he does now is stack. He tries to see how high he can get things going before they topple.

GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
LOL, too funny. I don't stack persay, but pile in the vague direction of other "things" of the same sort. When things start sliding off, it is time to remove some of "the pile"

On another note, I found a bra I had been looking for, for a couple wks LMAO.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

On another note, I found a bra I had been looking for, for a couple wks LMAO.
LOL that is too funny...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, nice job Chris!

I love the mahogany desk!
I don't think of organization as a genius non genius thing but rather a mood setter, just like a japanese garden effect. Being uncluttered, I think, gives you a more calming stress free feeling. I get stressed easier if things are messy and cluttered and feel more relaxed when my junk is tidy

Btw, good job on the bra find

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Lol i've never taken an IQ test before, but I'm sure you can guess from the way i'm biased that I do have a messy desk

The right side of my brain is predominant, that's for sure because I am terrible at math and I almost never think logically about anything..I don't use numbers, I'd rather say "a lot" vs "a little" lol or illustrate the difference verbally by comparing it to something rather than just saying two numbers..
I am messy but I do try really hard to keep everything organized. I organize twice a week and everything stays organized for about a day..so most of the time it's a mess.
I don't know if IQ is a good way to test that, but most people that I consider intelligent and share opinions with are messy, forget things all the time just like me ...
I've lost my keys 3 times this year and then found them and I've had my cell phone taken to lost and found about 4 times..I am soo lucky that people are so nice to me and I always find my things or they're returned to me...
I guess after all it is all just my bias, because I naturally consider people who agree with me intelligent and closer to a genius
Ok, your other post messed me up. I meant left for myself, though not good at math I do apply a tangible number to everything. Instead of saying a few, I will say the number. Details, specifics, and systems keep me happy.
There is some loose correlation between organization and personality types - but it's very loose and more of a common trend. A person's parents and how they were raised tends to be a bigger influence on how tidy a person is. My father was near OCD on cleaning (everything had to be done a specific way and done right) and my mother was fairly tidy, too. It lead to me developing those habits at a very very young age and actually taking after my father a good bit... DH's parents, well... I've discussed them elsewhere. While DH is independent enough to clean up after himself, his brother is not. Neither understand orderliness in the slightest.

I don't lose things.
Even if tossed in a box somewhere, everything in that box will be related by use. (ie, I have a storage bin with a drawer just for tape and glues...) DH, on the other hand, always loses things and denies it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Wow, nice job Chris!

I love the mahogany desk!
I don't think of organization as a genius non genius thing but rather a mood setter, just like a japanese garden effect. Being uncluttered, I think, gives you a more calming stress free feeling. I get stressed easier if things are messy and cluttered and feel more relaxed when my junk is tidy

Btw, good job on the bra find
You know what, I think you are onto something there.

I've been doing some cleaning the last couple days...well, not "cleaning" but organising, etc. I did my desk, and my room (my room wasn't like my desk, it was folded clothes piled on a chest and my dresser...they needed to be put in drawers)

I feel soooo closed in most of the time...but sitting here now thinking about it. Yes I'm in a great mood today, but that aside, I feel an "openness", sense of space type of deal....

it feels great, and I'm definately not feeling the same feeling in my kids rooms...(unorganised)

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job!

Can you come over and do that to my closet??
I need to just take a few hours or a day or something and really tackle that thing; it's insanely cluttered and just beyond messy. I know when I finally get around to it, it'll feel so good to get it done.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Great job!

Can you come over and do that to my closet??
I need to just take a few hours or a day or something and really tackle that thing; it's insanely cluttered and just beyond messy. I know when I finally get around to it, it'll feel so good to get it done.
LOL....ummm, no.

I still have 3 bathroom cupboards that are begging for it....
But it will feel good to get it done, and get rid of that not wanting to open the door feeling LOL.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My desk at work is orangized, clean and I can find anything. At home, however, I have clutter everywhere and I don't know where anything is. I wonder what that says about me?