Going Bald....

victimofchanges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 1 1/2 years and she has started to get 2 little bald spots on her head right next to her ears. I can put up pics if it will help. There are no cuts or scratchs and nothing showing that the hairs were riped out. I'm running real low on money and don't want to take her in and pay 40$ just to have someone tell me shes just weird. lol So if anyone has gone through something like this or has input let me know please.

Michies

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First guess would be ear mites, get her to the vet. If you have an internet connection you have money to take this step.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you put up some pictures? Normally, adult cats do look sort of 'bald' at their temples, near their ears - and yeah, I asked my vet about it when I first adopted Dharma. My cats are grey and black - most obvious on the black cat.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of two of mine. The gray/white is a 5 year old male and the black cat is a 2 yr old female. Vet told me it is genetic and is the similar to "male pattern baldness" in us humans. Hope that helps.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1244942881

One day I will learn to post pictures.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like the normal thinning of fur in front of their ears. If you post pics, we might better be able to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victimofchanges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok I'll sent the pics up. It's happening not on the front of her head but on the top. I have worked at 3 different Vet offices and its not ear mites. (by the way i don't pay for this net connection, and people don't ask for help to be treated like that.) So I'll go take those pics.

Pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ut/balding.jpg

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by victimofchanges

ok I'll sent the pics up. It's happening not on the front of her head but on the top. I have worked at 3 different Vet offices and its not ear mites. (by the way i don't pay for this net connection, and people don't ask for help to be treated like that.) So I'll go take those pics.
Your right, that was uncalled for, our goal here is to help advise or share experiences, not intimidate and scare off.

I have had a couple of cats with bizarre skin allergies. Maia actually sometimes develops slightly bloody scabs around her ears and scabby patches on her chin that ofcourse when it first happened I took her in to the vet, paid 80 dollars to hear it was nothing but a reaction to something, she will be fine, no meds...........Of course it has happened 3-4 times over the past two years. I find the best method is cleaning it thoroughly and putting a bit of ointment on it, heals up.
One of my past kitties, Pandi, had terrible scabby patches on her body that would peel off and leave bald spots. Of course the vet had no clue, but in time I figured out that a humidifier was the cure!
Will be checking in to see the picture......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just realized you posted the pic, very curious, so even on both sides. I would try vitamin e oil and keep an eye on her if she scratches a lot there......

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm....that kind of balding isn't normal. I wonder if it's a reaction to something he's eating. Have you changed her food recently, or even the kind of litter you use? Have you put any kind of flea treatment on her or anything like that?

victimofchanges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking a changes too but I haven't changed anything. The only thing shes ever reacted to was turkey so I don't feed it to her or her sister, their brother doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I have to cats that get the acne and this isn't the same, no scabbs anywhere. =\\

My husband said he would help me get some money together and get her to a vet..... its been a while since she went on a bus.... maybe she will still like it lol

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last year a house cat was dumped at the feral colony I feed, and started losing hair, first from behind the ears, then her entire head. By the time I caught her she was bald to the shoulders. The vet could find no cause for the balding, but after she was back indoors and spayed her hair grew back as fast as it had fallen out. Stress? Possibly the first sign of the cancer that killed her nine months later?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The first thing that comes to my mind is some sort of food allergy. (or flea allergy - one of our indoor/outdoor cats had a real problem with that once).

Good luck; I hope you find out what's going on.

victimofchanges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the hair on her head has started to grow back in ( haven't gotten paid yet to go to vet) but now within the last 24 hours is a new spot actually on the back of her ear, I think she might be fighting with her brother at night =\\

catgoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is an informational article from the American Society for the Protection of Animals that I found very helpful with my cat's bald patch. He has the same, small patch above just one of his ears. It sounds like it is normal unless there is bleeding, chafing, oozing, rash, or redness. I know this post is old, but just thought I would share in case anyone else out there is searching for good information and simple solutions to common kitty cat problems. Here's the link:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/skin-problems