aggressive kitty

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ten year old spayed female, and a 14 month old siamese female who I had spayed 3 months ago. They have been friends for the most part, playing and sleeping together. A few days ago they got into a huge, screaming, urine spraying fight. This has happened a couple of times since. They are mostly avoiding each other. The older cat is very fearful (normal for her), and the younger is very aggressive (just since the fight). She also tried to kill my ferrets who she previously enjoyed playing with. I've had the ferrets for four months. Any advice on how to heal the rift?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berfy

I have a ten year old spayed female, and a 14 month old siamese female who I had spayed 3 months ago. They have been friends for the most part, playing and sleeping together. A few days ago they got into a huge, screaming, urine spraying fight. This has happened a couple of times since. They are mostly avoiding each other. The older cat is very fearful (normal for her), and the younger is very aggressive (just since the fight). She also tried to kill my ferrets who she previously enjoyed playing with. I've had the ferrets for four months. Any advice on how to heal the rift?
Oh dear, Keep them seperated! Especially the ferrets, small yes, but can take out a young cat no problem, and young cat can take them, its a battle you do not want to see.
You have an older cat you describe as fearful, but you bring all these other animals into the situation. Old cats are like old people, set in their ways. May I ask why this sudden inflow of pets?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sudden change in behavior could mean health problems. One sudden fight could also mean one of your cats may have been spooked and took it on the other one. However since you said there have been several encounters since then, you may have to check with your veterinarian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ferrets are in a cage unless supervised (not allowed to terrorize older kitty). I had another ferret for five years, so older kitty wasn't too freaked by them. She's also lived with other cats and dogs with no problems. We moved to a new house a year and a half ago, had been living with other people. The younger kitty was acquired as a companion for the older one because oldie doesn't like to be left alone. There was always someone home, animal or human, at our previous house. She's been crying all night long since they had their falling out. I've been separating them at night and when I'm not home to supervise. They seem to be making some progress, but act as if it is a new introduction. The younger kitty seems to not recognize the older kitty's scent.