We were absolutely a 2-kitty household. . .

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
until this morning.

My husband was driving down one of the busy streets on one of our main routes and spotted this tiny black kitten just trying to cross the street. He noticed it needed help and got out to try to set it straight. He stopped his own car just in time when he saw it AND he prevented the city bus behind him from hitting him too. He put him in his own car, and called me as in "now what do I do?" He said he was a young black male kitten, and well, I have a real weakness for black cats since my "best kitty ever" in my childhood years was a black male. Well, I said it might be a good idea to take him to the vet even if we don't keep him, just to see what kind of shape he's in. He couldn't have been out on the street for that long because he wasn't even that hungry. He's about 8 weeks old and healthy in every way. Curt got the kitty's shots started, and started using a name for him. So THIS time HE talked ME into the new kitty, but oh, he is adorable. . . his name is Jasper.

Photos are forthcoming, as soon as I can get the little guy to sit still.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are still surprised at how healthy he is. We believe he was just dumped in a nearby parking lot since there is really no place for a cat (or kittens) to live there. Still his weight is good for his age. He doesn't even have worms or fleas. He is 8 weeks old, and the vet says no problem with using solid food right away. We were so lucky! (and so was he!) Cute as a button, though the girls have yet to really have their say. He is staying in our bedroom for now. Wish us luck!

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, we have not put up "found" posters, but we are as certain we can be that he was dumped in a nearby parking lot. Even the vet agreed there wasn't much way he could be any other than a stray in that location. As a black kitty (albeit a cute black kitty) we truly don't want to open up the possibility he could be claimed for nefarious purposes. He must have been left very soon before Curt found him, but he literally would not have made it across the street without Curt's intervention.

haywire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm soooo happy you decided to keep Jasper. He sounds like a perfect baby. I myself have cats who all were abandoned/found, and they are perfectly healthy...even tho the vet fees use up my spending $! It's worth it. Thank you for taking care of him, and also for understanding the need to shelter black cats from incredibly ignorant people who feel the need to torture them. Black is only a color of fur, nothing more. I wish they understood that.

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your congrats. Pictures coming soon - my own camera is on the fritz, and I'll have to borrow Curt's, which is not a big deal. Stay tuned!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing him! Good luck with the intros to your girls.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your husband is a definite keeper - and bless you both for taking in this little guy. I've adopted a four year old black male a couple of years ago...he is super friendly and affectionate, and trails me from room to room. I'm never sure why people bypass black kitties, but I believe you and your family will be rewarded so much for your kindness and loving hearts.

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to attach some pictures, so I'll see how this works. Here's the little guy we've been talking about. Of course he has no idea he's created such a stir. . .

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you see our fate was sealed.

By the way, did I attach the file right, or did I miss something? I wanted to put his picture so it is visible on the screen Maybe it doesn't work this way.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very glad you decided to keep him. It's funny how things just happen and fall into our laps.

The kitten is adoooorable.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What a tiny little thing.

Originally Posted by yelloweyes

As you see our fate was sealed.

By the way, did I attach the file right, or did I miss something? I wanted to put his picture so it is visible on the screen Maybe it doesn't work this way.
The easier way to post pictures is to get an account with a provider like Photobucket and then embed the image that way. The details are in this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14474

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys for all your sweet replies. The "sniff" introductions are going well as in exchanging socks, living quarters, etc. They have even seen each other through the glass door, and though all involved were alert, no signs of aggression. We have even seen Sophie "snuggling" with the sock with Jasper's scent on it, though sometimes Sophie snuggles with odd things.

We hope to be able to make progress on this in the reasonably near future. It will be sort of like the UN Conference, but no promises will be made by any kitties involved.

Jasper, by the way is 100% playful, cuddly kitten. He seems healthy and socially about where he should be. He's just short, that's all.