MaMa Cat skin and bone literally

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what is the right thing to do. Mom went to the vet today and they said she is way to small which I knew from the getgo. She was mal nurited when I got her.

But now the kitten are draining her of everything she has. She is on kitten food wellness and raw and tiki cat. There not much else I can do then the vet asked how old they where I told him 5 weeks tomorrow.
He said if you dont pull them off now you could loose mom. Cause she will feed them and let herself go to nothing then it may be to late.

But my problem with that is they are eating during the day shoot they spend there day down stairs. Litter training and eating canned and dry kitten food.

Will it hurt there digestive track to be pulled off a week early I know it happens all the time by people but I want these guys to be healthy.

She only feeds them at night any way cause she refuses to come down stairs for anything. I dont know what to do at this point. But mom is very skiny and needs tp put some weight on.

and if I take them off now how do I express her tits. Or will the milk slowly go away on its own

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my previous experiences, they dried up on their own. I agree with your vet - if they're eating food, let her stop. I guess you'll have to keep them apart then, huh? Does the vet have any ideas on that?

I hope the mama kitty makes it. That's so heartbreaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have a upstairs and down seperated by dorrs.
so thats not a issue.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it takes 2 wees to dry up.
Its been almost 7 years since we had kittens.
They will be ok if you stop them from nursing now.
You can always bottle feed them if you think they need to nurse still.

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is only one I am worried about the rest run for the food bowl when I pull it out. Simba has not got a huge interest in eating yet Boss and Reesy are old pros already and sunshine is coming around she has started running for the food bowl also this afternoon.
Are they able to pooh on there own at this age?
They all pee but I have rub there bumbums and no pooh and have not seen any in the litter box.
I rubbed each kitten for about 45 seconds then tey where just fed up and wiggled away.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mama Kitty will know how to ween them, let her do it....If she is feeding only at night she will start to put on weight, keep her on kitten food, with as much extra snacks as she will take. Is she free of worms? Is she getting some dry food too, she needs the fat in the dry, raw is good but she needs some extra bulk too, you may want to mix some cat milk, with the feeds she is getting, They make a treat milk you can find in most stores. It is made for cats, and has not given any of my Mama kittys problems. After kittens it takes a bit to regain some weight. I would not feed the kittens as much as her it could make them fat....like I did mine.....

Good luck!

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone I made the desion to put the two oranges ones back on at night to let her milk let down some. But boss and Reesy eat like old pros day and night I set up my cameria last noght and played it back this morning.

They where fine. Mom is getting wellness dry kitten food. Tiki cat canned and raw. All she wants of the kitten food. Two canns of tiki cat in the morning and 1/3 of a cup at raw at night.

She eats a lot and is stll lossing weight yes we did a fecal just to make sure she is worm free completly. She has been wormed every two weeks sense I got her.

She only lets them suck 2 times during the night. But I want her to be healthy also as she has a pre adoption already.
Oh she tested Neg for FLV/ Feline aids

So everyones adoptions is go.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Tiki cats to my kitties, and IMO it doesn't have enough calories for your mamma cat, as it is pretty much pure fish. IMO You should feed her some kitten wet food instead of the Tikki Cat, I hear Science Diet A/D is wonderful to put on weight - you would need to get it from a vet.
Two cans of Tikki in the am is too much - if she likes the dry food, give her one can of wet in the am, and let her eat the dry kitten food during the day - the dry food has more calories/volume. Also, do not give her raw - this is very important... You are feeding her dry food, and cats digest raw and dry food in different speeds; you are risking a bad intestinal infection.

So, here is what I would do:
Change her to Kitten Science Diet A/D wet from the vet
Remove raw from her diet
Let her eat more of the most caloric food, which in her case right now is the dry kitten food.

Good luck!

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago - worrying about kittens weaning early, my peepers decided themselves they wanted to start eating at 4 weeks, and they are perfectfull healthy now.

You need to make a choice, you say you want the kittens to be healthy, but to let them keep feeding is at the expense of the mother cats life. They will be healthy without mother cat if you get them on solids, and you can always suppliment them if you are worried.

You need to seperate them asap if they are a drain on the mother cats life. As horrible as you may feel, if babies can survive without mom and mom will thrive without babies, you know what you need to do.

They need to stop feeding off her totally, kittens will keep feeding and draining the life out of the mother with no mercy. My kitten Freya is 3 and a half months and she still drinks from her mom even though she is tottally weened, now Sianne has the strength to do this and bat her away when she needs a break, but your cat doesnt.

Babies from most mammal species will keep breast feeding for long after they dont need it. Human babies unless they are forced not to may not decide to stop for themselves until they're as old as 5 if mother allows it and it seems normal! its a comfort thing. Point is, your momma cat cant handle that, she probably couldnt handle even a week or two, let alone the next couple of months.

Good luck, and I think you need to act now if you want your cat to survive this.

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Autumnblueangel

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago - worrying about kittens weaning early, my peepers decided themselves they wanted to start eating at 4 weeks, and they are perfectfull healthy now.

You need to make a choice, you say you want the kittens to be healthy, but to let them keep feeding is at the expense of the mother cats life. They will be healthy without mother cat if you get them on solids, and you can always suppliment them if you are worried.

You need to seperate them asap if they are a drain on the mother cats life. As horrible as you may feel, if babies can survive without mom and mom will thrive without babies, you know what you need to do.

They need to stop feeding off her totally, kittens will keep feeding and draining the life out of the mother with no mercy. My kitten Freya is 3 and a half months and she still drinks from her mom even though she is tottally weened, now Sianne has the strength to do this and bat her away when she needs a break, but your cat doesnt.

Babies from most mammal species will keep breast feeding for long after they dont need it. Human babies unless they are forced not to may not decide to stop for themselves until they're as old as 5 if mother allows it and it seems normal! its a comfort thing. Point is, your momma cat cant handle that, she probably couldnt handle even a week or two, let alone the next couple of months.

Good luck, and I think you need to act now if you want your cat to survive this.
I wanted to thank everyone the night I put the oranges ones on they had no interest in eating off her. Everyone is on hard and soft food and mom is at the shelter going to get spayed and go to her new home also tomorrow.

So everyone is at 1 pound 8 or 7 ounces at last weigh in. Which was a few days ago. There all good and healthy. Mom put on a massive amount of weight in a matter of a few days tell she had to go to the shelter.