QOTD: Thurs. June 11

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mornin folks...... I am wondering today:

Do you suffer from headaches/migraines, if so, how do you deal with them.... or are you one of those people whom are blessed with none ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I get both headaches, and severe migraines

If its just a headache, I can take liquid advil and it well help dull it. If it doesn't, I have strong anti-inflammatories I can take.

Migraines: because I don't get them often, I chose not to be on a migraine medicine. Instead I take anti inflammatories + pain relief. If its a really bad one, I'm outta luck till it decides to ease up, no med helps. A quiet dark room and a cool wet cloth ease it a touch. I can usually avoid full blown ones by avoiding my triggers, which are mainly different scents (chemicals, gas, perfume, even strongly scented candles, etc).

Unfortunately there are times where people bathe in cologne or perfume and I'm done in.

I'm sooo happy that more places around here are becoming scent-free
Scent allergies are on the rise, and alot of migraine sufferers are sensitive to heavy smells.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get headaches too often, but definatly people that drown themselves in cologne or perfume will give me one. Lots of fun being stuck on the bus next to someone who smells like the perfume counter blew up on them! Grrrr.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to get migraines and often get headaches. I usually take ibruprofen for them. Sooo glad I don't suffer through full-blown migraines anymore (touch wood). Not sure why they stopped.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get migraines and headaches. Headaches I do nothing about it since I can handle the pain, compared to Migraines its nothing lol. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like pills anyway.

Migraines depending on if I can catch it quickly I just take an extra strength Advil. It does the job, I take one every 4 hours and I am good to go. If I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get it in time (My migraines almost always come at night, so I usually get them weekends because I sleep in) I am usually bed ridden for 1-3 days, no noise, no lights, no nothing, just me taking sleeping pills, or muscle relaxants to get past the pain. Regular Migraine pills don't work for me so i just manage the pain and try and drug myself through it lol.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily I don't get migraines, however I do get some dozy headaches from my sinuses. I have several seasonal allergies and this time of year is the worse.

My major problem is drug sensitivity, so I have to be very careful what I take for it and have to rely on prescription rather then over-the-counter meds.
Aspirin, Ibuphron, Pheuo-Ephedrine and Malute Sulfate are all no-no's for me and you try to find a sinus medication that doesn't have at least one of those in it.

I have an inhaler that I use that works if I get to the headache before it progresses to far, and pills to take when it get really bad.
Unfortunately I pretty much out of commission until the pills wear off because they really make me tired.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went 6 months without headaches and miss it. Usually they are sinus headaches but I do get migraines at times. I haven't had one since getting PG. I swear they are hormonal related. I would get the aura and zig zag lines. Advil takes the edge off but I mostly have to ride it out. The headache isn't as bad as the visual impairment. I fear getting them now with a little one.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not get migraines, and when i do get a headache it's just a "regular" one, 3 iburprofen knock them right out

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness, no! I don't get migraines and only occasionally get a minor headache due to dehydration or sinuses. I just drink some water or take some Benadryl to get rid of the underlying cause.

My friend Susan gets them quite often though. Unfortunately, the only solution is often to go to the Emergency Room and get a shot of morphine or dilatin.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually get migraines or headaches. Probably because I only have air between my ears

I have friends that get headaches and migraines a lot and I'm so thankful I don't. to those who do get them.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
No migraines for me (thank goodness) but I do get headaches. I'm prone to weather headaches - usually when there's a storm coming, but an ibuprofen or two will almost awalys knock it out.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get headaches that were unspecified the doctor said it has some characteristics of migraine and some of tension headache. I was really depressed at the time so I think there may be a link. Since I've been back to normal I haven't had much headaches, just the usual kind from lack of sleep sometimes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had frequent migraines from age 10 till 22-23. I still get occasional ones but am more likely to get them from medications now due to becoming increasingly sensitive - in other words I get those infrequent and rare side effects and migraine is usually on that list.

Daily headaches, there's always at least a low pain level. This is a combination of cervical DDD and my brain not getting enough blood. If I slip on my midodrine the headaches will intensify. Ice pick headaches are frequent with the daily headaches.
Due to my low blood volume I dehydrate easily. This of course also causes a headache - the one I wake up with every single morning.

I also get what is referred to as 'coat hanger pain'. It is similar to how a muscle spasm feels but results from standing or bending over. It rolls up the back of my neck and into my head and is a strange pressure pain. Again that's due to lack of blood to my brain and hypotension. Nothing can stop this pain other than laying down.

I don't treat the migraines. As a child my father forced me to suffer through them because "nobody goes to the doctor for headaches" and by the time I got my own insurance they had stopped. The daily headaches I mostly ignore and try to keep my blood pressure up, if they get worse I will take one 650mg acetaminophen.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to suffer from three or more migraines a week. Last summer, I had a visual migraine while driving in rush hour traffic. I talked to my doctor, and demanded some type of migraine preventive medication. She put me on Inderal (beta blocker) 160mg/day, and I've improved to around three migraines a month....(significant improvement!!! Yay!!!) I have two abortive medications to use when I get a breakthrough migraine; Midrin and Imitrex. I used to use Midrin before all the triptans came on the market. My insurance recently changed, and I can only get 9 Imitrex tablets a month (I used to be able to get 9 a week.) I decided that I'd try the Midrin first, then go to Imitrex if it didn't work.

I've had migraines since my early teens, but they were only diagnosed as such, maybe 20 years ago. My main trigger is being too warm....I always get a killer migraine when I go out in the garden in August to pick raspberries. Getting an insufficent amount of sleep, and stress will do it too. Sometimes weather, such as a fast drop in barometric pressure, will trigger them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I used to suffer from three or more migraines a week. Last summer, I had a visual migraine while driving in rush hour traffic. I talked to my doctor, and demanded some type of migraine preventive medication. She put me on Inderal (beta blocker) 160mg/day, and I've improved to around three migraines a month....(significant improvement!!! Yay!!!)
I used to get them that often, and always with weird if not disturbing auras. That's a huge dose for a BB! Is your resting heart rate fine on that? Most of the people I know on BBs take very very small doses due to heart rate and blood pressure issues (both becoming dangerously low from normal doses) - so I'm a bit curious how much that affects a healthy person.
I have to be extremely careful with doctors, PAs, and pharmacists because 99% have never heard of midodrine and try to give or write down that I'm on Midrin... If the pharmacist looks up the wrong drug for interactions it does me no good what so ever.

As for the heat, some tips that may help you a little. Wear a wet bandanna around your neck - I can't properly cool myself off and this helps me some. Dark sunglasses, and of course plenty of water and electrolytes. Most people don't realize they get a bit dehydrated and this is a major trigger for migraines and headaches in just about anyone.

\t
ETA: yourbriness763 - get your neck checked out. At the very least there could be a muscle issue due to poor posture. You may be able to correct that some and help decrease the number of some of your headaches.