Should I change food again?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitten's previous owner had him on Iams Kitten. His poops were loose so after a vet exam she put him on Science Diet W/D for 2 wks., then said we could gradually switch him over to another food. We decided to give him Taste of the Wild and mixed it in 1/4 increments bi-weekly, i.e. 1/4 TOTW and 3/4 W/D, then 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 TOTW and 1/4 W/D. He is on all TOTW this week but his poops have become loose again. Do you think he needs the fiber in the Science Diet W/D and we should go back to 1/2 and 1/2? What would your suggestions be? Any help is appreciated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I file this under NO it DOES NOT make sense but some cats need a little grain or a One meat one starch food...

Taste USUALLY does not cause richness issues but it is a rich food ... what others are avail to you?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed TOTW mixed with a food with some grain in it....it varies as to what kind it is. I'll buy the big bag of TOTW, and mix in a small (4-5lbs) bag of something with grains.

I found the same with straight TOTW....so I started 3/4 and 1/4'ing it and got tired of it.... hence the mixing in a big bin and scooping it out

My suggestion would be for you to do the same.... big bag of TOTW mixed with the SD....it works out to roughly 1/4 grain food anyways. (20lbs TOTW and 5lbs grain food)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Taste USUALLY does not cause richness issues but it is a rich food ... what others are avail to you?
We live near a major city and most foods are available. Our other cat gets Solid Gold, would that be a good option to mix in or do you have another suggestion?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

We live near a major city and most foods are available. Our other cat gets Solid Gold, would that be a good option to mix in or do you have another suggestion?
Solid Gold may work which one is it??

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Solid Gold may work which one is it??
It's Katz-n-flocken. I know they have come out with Indigo Moon. What would be the best choice since his poops are on the looser side from TOTW?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

It's Katz-n-flocken. I know they have come out with Indigo Moon. What would be the best choice since his poops are on the looser side from TOTW?
I would have to double check but I do the the Moon is less types of meats and overall simpler

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I would have to double check but I do the the Moon is less types of meats and overall simpler
Thanks for the info. - I haven't made any changes yet and yesterday everything was back to normal. Maybe he was just having an off day. Will keep a close watch and see if it was a fluke or not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO, in any food changes, when you want to rule out sensitivities, you need to give some time for the kitty to adjust to the food before you judge it. He just started 100% TOTW this week; it is too early to tell.
I.e.: my cat seems to be allergic to chicken - my vet told me I need to have him on the same food (without chicken) for at least 6-8 weeks before knowing if that food will work for him or not, and if the ingredient to which he is sensitive to has been eliminated from the diet. If his poop is not firm then, I will need to change to even a simpler formula.
Anyways, give him a month or at least a few weeks to settle, than you can see if you need to change or add anything else to the diet...
I would advise to keep a diary when doing this; that's how I noticed that pattern that chicken = diarrhea.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

IMHO, in any food changes, when you want to rule out sensitivities, you need to give some time for the kitty to adjust to the food before you judge it. He just started 100% TOTW this week; it is too early to tell.
He had perfectly formed poop(s) today, don't want to jinx it so fingers crossed.