Sudden feces elimination on dining room floor, HELP!

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings,

We have a British Longhair female cat (Angel) that is almost 4 years old. About two weeks ago, she had a loose stool episode on the carpeted dining room floor. The very next day, she had another episode again on the dining room floor near the first one. The second time it was the healthy tootsie roll kind which is her normal. Then it was a third the next day.

We took her to the vet and her stool sample was clear. They told us since her litter box is upstairs to keep her confined to the second floor for a few days hoping she goes back in the litter box. Well, she did fine for a few days and used her box everytime

Yesturday we let her have roam of the house again, and wouldn't you know it, another elimination in the dining room!!
At this point she is NOT urinating on the floor and using her litter box for that. We have sprayed the area where she has "pooped" with the enzyme cleaner like we are supposed to.
Her diet has not changed and there have been no new changes in the household. No new cat litter as well (we use pure pine pellets)
One thing of note. Angel hurt her paw while playing (about 2 months ago) and has developed a bit of a limp. The vet has taken x-rays and feels that it is just inflamation. He also said the area needs to be watched so that it does not grow (hopefully not a tumor or anything) The vet gave her a shot of anti-inflamation medication which only helped for about a week. He said the shot is only a one time thing because cats don't handle this type of medicine very well. He has suggested a 1/4 of baby aspirn 3 times a week for two weeks which we are doing, however, it does not seem to help her any.
We are beginning to worry a bit about her health even though the vet said she appears to be in good health.
We have noticed that she is pretty much her normal self, but has been sleeping a bit more lately.
ANy input or suggestions would be a great help!

Thanks!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BritishLongHair

Greetings,

We have a British Longhair female cat (Angel) that is almost 4 years old. About two weeks ago, she had a loose stool episode on the carpeted dining room floor. The very next day, she had another episode again on the dining room floor near the first one. The second time it was the healthy tootsie roll kind which is her normal. Then it was a third the next day.

They told us since her litter box is upstairs to keep her confined to the second floor for a few days hoping she goes back in the litter box. Angel hurt her paw while playing (about 2 months ago) and has developed a bit of a limp. The vet has taken x-rays and feels that it is just inflamation.

We have noticed that she is pretty much her normal self, but has been sleeping a bit more lately.
ANy input or suggestions would be a great help!

Thanks!
(* edited your post, as this may explain my answer*)

Do you have her a litterbox downstairs, just in case her paw is bothering her and she can't get upstairs quick enough?

Welcome to TCS, by the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

(* edited your post, as this may explain my answer*)

Do you have her a litterbox downstairs, just in case her paw is bothering her and she can't get upstairs quick enough?

Welcome to TCS, by the way!
Thanks! No we do not have a box downstairs yet. She is still able to run up and down the stairs very well. I am sure it hurts her a bit, but sometimes she will run down the stairs like a maniac, LOL! She loves to play ball like a dog. I swear she is part dog

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Angel the only animal in the house? Is she the only cat? Why I ask is if you have more then one cat is sometimes you require more than one litterbox. Some cats like to poop in one box and pee in another box. Is the litterbox upstairs located in a secluded, quiet area? Cats like their privacy and peace when going to the washroom. The cats food is not located near the box is it? Cats also do not like to do their business near their food. Also, if you have another pet - they could be hijacking her from using the litterbox? I have heard of this scenario many times.

I would recommend getting another litterbox and place it where she is pooping. And see if this helps. If this doesn't work then you may have to try a different litter because it could be irritating her behind when she poops. Also, you could try placing newspaper or puppy training pads in the litter box. This would be much softer on her behind.

Did the vet check her for enlarged anal glands or constipation (blockage). These are some reasons why kitties poop outside the litterbox as well.

Lets hope it is just a very short term thing and everything will go back to normal when her paw heals

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is the only animal. Yes her food is in the same area as the litterbox, up till now that was not a problem. She does have privacy. There is not much room downstairs for another litterbox. Do you feel having one downstairs anywhere would help or does it need to be in the room where she is pooping. I really did not want a litterbox in the living room, but it's better then having it on my carpet!!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would almost guarantee it would help.
Just try a temporary one, maybe a disposable, and make sure she sees where it is. Try placing a "poop" from the litterbox upstairs in it until she investigates, since she will recognize it as hers.
I wouldn't think it would need to be in the exact same spot, just the general area, to begin with. But if it doesn't, then you should really consider a vet visit.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I would almost guarantee it would help.
Just try a temporary one, maybe a disposable, and make sure she sees where it is. Try placing a "poop" from the litterbox upstairs in it until she investigates, since she will recognize it as hers.
I wouldn't think it would need to be in the exact same spot, just the general area, to begin with. But if it doesn't, then you should really consider a vet visit.
What would be the next step for the vet? Blood testing?

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Did you bring them a stool sample?
Yes I did (indicated in my first post
) It was negative. Up until recently, she has NEVER had any elimination accidents since they day we brought her home from the breeder. Thanks

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I did (indicated in my first post
) It was negative. Up until recently, she has NEVER had any elimination accidents since they day we brought her home from the breeder. Thanks
Sorry I missed that part and read twice before posting. LoL
Did you try another box? Is the original box old or new?

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Sorry I missed that part and read twice before posting. LoL
Did you try another box? Is the original box old or new?
It is the original box, so about 4 yrs old. She will still use that box for urinating all the time, and "pooping" only if she is confined to the upstairs. DO you still think a new box downstairs will help? While I really appreciate the suggestion, I just am trying to understand why for the last 4 yrs one box was fine. Now all of the sudden it may not be.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by qhgirl1

Have you tried a different type of litter?
No....I did not think about that because she will still use the box.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said not to change because cats like pine, and we use feline pine litter. If adding a downstairs box does not work then maybe we would switch litter.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What would be the next step for the vet? Blood testing?
Get her urine sample tested. Some cats poop outside the litterbox when having UTI. It can even be the only symptom showing and it doesn't have to happen often.

OT, but we absolutely must see pics of your kitty!!

(I have a HUGE crush on British Longhairs, the prettiest cats in the world!
)

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just am trying to understand why for the last 4 yrs one box was fine. Now all of the sudden it may not be.
Cats are no different from humans. They too may one day decide they do not like something a certain way anymore or decide they don't like the litter they are using, etc. It could be she has decided she doesn't like pooping and peeing in the same box. That's why I suggested you get another litterbox downstairs (in a closet or near where she is pooping). It could be that she doesn't like the feel of the litter on her behind when she passes a stool (that's why I suggested putting puppy training pads or newspaper in the litterbox). Or you could put newspaper or the pads where she is pooping and hope she lands on them? I know you said that there was no problem with the litter box being close to the food but I would definately move the food and water bowl into the kitchen and away from the litterbox. I know I wouldn't want to have to urinate/poop near my food? To me it doesn't seem very hygenic. We as caretakers of our cats have to step back and try to understand why our furkids are behaving the way they are. We have to remember that they can not speak for themselves and have patience with them. Most cats are crying out for help and not being spiteful. I am happy that you are looking for advice on how to fix your kitties problem.

It could be because she is sick and is trying to tell you she is sick (cats really do not have any other way to tell us).The next thing that the vet should look for are enlarged anal glands or a blockage/impacted stool (constipation).

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The vet said not to change because cats like pine, and we use feline pine litter.
Really - my cats DO NOT like pine litter. Could you try leaving that in one box and in the new box put a softer litter?

If one thing I have learned from owning cats is that not all cats are the same. Just like all kids are not the same. They all have their own personalities, wants, needs, likes and dislikes.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming! What litter do you all recommend? I am thinking that we will try another box with a new litter. Maybe also move her food and water as well

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denali

Do you have a lid on the litterbox?
No lid, she never seemed to like it.
Also, please recommend a litterbox too

Thanks