Need help for training my kitten!

uluagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just got a 2-month-old male orange and white kitten two days ago. His name is coffee. He is so affectionate and I love him immediately. But I am not quite sure if I should let him continue with his behavior. These are the behavior that I am not sure if I should attempt to change:
1) He seemed to treat me like his mommy. He tried to groom me by licking my neck, face, and hair. I prepared some comfortable places for him to sleep, but he ended up choosing my neck the place to sleep. Problem is the hair get into my nose and the paws are on my face. I also don't get good sleep. I either don't change my posture during the sleep, which results in back pain or change my posture but then both of us would wake up. Should I and how can I get him to sleep at his own place? The other thing is that I and my boyfriend can't sleep alone since he is always be in between us

2) He follows me around and demands attention. It is very hard for me to cook or watch TV because he wants me to play with him. If I need to do something on my own, he will meow constantly. I am afraid the neighbor would complain and that all of us would be kicked out.

I think that his behavior is nothing abnormal but needs for nurturing. Therefore, I don't know if I should allow him to do so and wait until he grows up to change. What do you think? Appreciate your help!

Jeanie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jeanie! Your little baby is just that - a little baby.
8 weeks is very young to be away from his mother and siblings, and he obviously wants cuddling and play - and he has no one to turn to for it but you. (Crowded shelters will adopt them out this young, but really, they should be with their families until they're 12 weeks old).

If you do not want him to sleep with you, basically you need to keep him out of the bedroom.
Personally, I can't imagine (anymore!
) sleeping without several cats snuggled up - one on my head, one in my arm, and one on my knees. Yes, they all wake up when I move, but now that they're older, they just adjust, and we all fall back asleep.

As he grows older, he'll come to adjust to your hours. But that "good night's sleep" is probably 8 months away?

It seems like he needs a kitty friend - but it also sounds like you're not allowed to have pets? That's a really awkward situation.

But yes, the grooming he would normally get from his mommy and share with his brothers and sisters, he's sharing with you. And while you don't want him to learn that crying gets attention - at this age, honestly, he needs it.

I'm really not sure what to recommend. This is not behavior that needs to be or "should" be corrected. It is natural and he needs the interaction, the attention, and the snuggles. I know you've fallen in love with him - but really, you needed to adopt an older kitty. They're not as needy, are more independent, and don't require almost constant attention like this little one will for some time.

Laurie

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Hi Jeanie! Your little baby is just that - a little baby.
8 weeks is very young to be away from his mother and siblings, and he obviously wants cuddling and play - and he has no one to turn to for it but you. (Crowded shelters will adopt them out this young, but really, they should be with their families until they're 12 weeks old).

If you do not want him to sleep with you, basically you need to keep him out of the bedroom.
Personally, I can't imagine (anymore!
) sleeping without several cats snuggled up - one on my head, one in my arm, and one on my knees. Yes, they all wake up when I move, but now that they're older, they just adjust, and we all fall back asleep.

As he grows older, he'll come to adjust to your hours. But that "good night's sleep" is probably 8 months away?

It seems like he needs a kitty friend - but it also sounds like you're not allowed to have pets? That's a really awkward situation.

But yes, the grooming he would normally get from his mommy and share with his brothers and sisters, he's sharing with you. And while you don't want him to learn that crying gets attention - at this age, honestly, he needs it.

I'm really not sure what to recommend. This is not behavior that needs to be or "should" be corrected. It is natural and he needs the interaction, the attention, and the snuggles. I know you've fallen in love with him - but really, you needed to adopt an older kitty. They're not as needy, are more independent, and don't require almost constant attention like this little one will for some time.

Laurie
Hi
and I totally agree with the above advice. Kittens are children, your kitten is very young and the way he is raised, his experiences and attention and love he receives is a crucial part of his development physically and mentally. They need just as much as a human baby/child, the only difference is it is for a much shorter period of time and they are kittens.......I also have to say that closing such a young kitten away at night could become traumatizing for him and only create unwanted behavior in the future.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jeanie!

I agree with everything Laurie wrote. Young kitties need plenty of snuggling and play time. When my Nova was younger, she used to curl up on my pillow and snuggle my head! It took her several months to grow out of it, and now she sleeps by our feet, or on her cat perch by the window.

It's fine to change your position at night. Kitty will learn to adjust.

If you are going to keep kitty out of your bedroom, I recommend something called a "Snuggle Kittie" to keep Coffee company.

http://www.amazon.com/SnuggleKittie-...4583671&sr=1-1

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

.......I also have to say that closing such a young kitten away at night could become traumatizing for him and only create unwanted behavior in the future.
Yes, that is a really good point, and you are, of course, right. I merely wanted to point out the only way to stop a kitten from snuggling at night is to isolate it from the bedroom - and that really is no solution, unless he's got another kitty to snuggle with.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uluagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for your advices. I think I will continue nurturing Coffee like his mommy. Will continue letting him on my bed to cuddle until he grows out of it. Actually I have been thinking about him at work. His grooming and snuggling behavior form the strong bonding between us.

Do you think I should get another kitty to be his companion? Should it be around the same age or older? My only concerns are disturbance to the neighbor. Oh... and if they can become friends rather than enemies.

Appreciate your help! Thanks.

Jeanie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're so right - you're forming a wonderful bond that you will always cherish.
They DO drive you crazy for the first little while. Just wait until he starts teething at around 4 months!

Cheylink is so right - they need us just like human babies do - it's just for a much shorter period of time.
Of course, while you're going through their first six months - year, it seems like it's taking forever. Once it's gone, it seems like it went WAY too fast.
Make sure you take LOTS of pictures - they do grow up SO fast!

Kitties usually do well with a playmate if their meowmies and daddies have to work away from home all day.
The problem with cats is that they are not like dogs at all that way. They CAN be social, but aren't pre-programmed to be. At that age, they're pretty accepting (usually) - but there are just no guarantees. They could be best playmates and snuggle buddies - or not. Introducing another kitty into an existing kitty's territory can go great and work out perfectly - or it may be some work, and it can upset the apple cart so to speak.

I hope others will chime in here. Are you not officially allowed to have pets?

You know, what I think I'd do if I were you is read through some of the threads here. There are a LOT of questions from people about kitten introductions. Of course you mostly see the problems that arise - but you can also read about solutions to those problems. ....but don't forget to head to the What's New Pussycat forum and the Fur Pictures and Videos sub-forum of The Cat Lounge. That's where you get to see the fun of two kitties without the problems.
Maybe knowing what may happen, and deciding whether or not you're prepared to deal with it may help you make the decision.

Whatever you decide, you've found the right place to help you with any questions that come up!

Laurie