If you could bring back a family member for a day ....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who would it be and why?

Over the last year of my internship I've been think a lot about my Grandfather (paternal, I never knew my maternal). My Mom always tells me how much he loved me and how he had a special place in his heart for me. I guess he used to yell at my parents all the time because he thought they didn't pay enough attention to me. It's not that he thought I was neglected, he would just tell my parents they had no idea how special I was. I would love a day just to talk to him and ask him what it was about me that was so special to him. This career transition has been difficult for me. I know he would be proud of me but I would just love to hear it from him. I was only 12 when he passed away, and since he was my only Grandpa I guess I wish I could have gotten to know him better. (or maybe I'm just feeling mushy today?)

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bring back my Dad. He died when I was 17. I have always wondered if he would be proud of me. Silly I know.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting question.

I would love to have my maternal grandmother back for a day. Sadly, she died when I was 4, and I don't remember her at all, despite living with her and her taking care of me for awhile. There is such a mystery surrouding her background, who her father was, etc., and I really really would like to know more about her. I know the stories my mother has told me, but even she didn't know much about her background.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I would bring back my Dad. He died when I was 17. I have always wondered if he would be proud of me. Silly I know.
No it's not silly, everyone wants to know their parents are proud of them no matter how old or young they are.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so not silly to wonder if your parents would have been or are proud of you. It's natural.

I would bring back my paternal grandfather too. I was very close to my maternal grandfather and miss him (he died when I was in my late teens, my paternal grandfather died when I was 13). My maternal grandpa was a farmer and loved animals, and I was the youngest of his thirteen grandchildren, and I loved the farm and the animals, so that was easy and worked.

But my paternal grandfather was in labor arbitration, and had a very political job. I've got a picture of him with President Eisenhower. My grandpa went through a really tough time during the McCarthy era, and my brother and sister had no interest in all the newspaper clippings about what happened (his case got a lot of press!). I would so love to talk to him about his job and all that happened, now that I can understand it!

Laurie

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandpa Clair. Grandpa Clair was really my step-grandpa, as my real grandpa (Grandpa Lyle) died from colon cancer at age 50 (when I was 3.)
Grandpa Clair died 6 weeks before my wedding. He taught me SO many things...the basics of carpentry work, electrical work, plumbing and stone masonry. He also taught me about different plants in the woods: mushrooms and berries, and all about the different animals, and their habitats in northern Michigan. He shared his love of sports, and taught me about football, hockey and baseball. He was an amazing well of knowledge, and he loved to share it with me and my sister. He's been gone since 1981, but if I think about him too much, I will cry like it was yesterday. Yes, I still miss him. (And, yes, I'm crying...)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be my maternal grandfather. I dont remember my paternal grandparents very well, I met them once when I was 2, both have since passed.

My maternal grandfather was the most amazing person I've ever known in my life. He was friends with everyone and anyone, and didn't have a mean bone in his body. He was an avid race car driver in his youth, and then proceeded to be a flagger at tracks as well as a member of the pits and various clubs. I was always extremely close to him - my grandparents pretty much raised me for the first few years of my life while my mom worked.

I still have my maternal grandma, and I know I will be seriously lost when she dies. I was my grandpa's (as well as grandma's) favorite, and when he died it took a few days to register. He lived in NJ still, I was in SC when I found out about his coma and all that, so I couldnt actually SEE what was going on. I just was sort of prepared, and then suddenly, he was gone. I would love another day just to talk to him about everything else in his life I never was told about. More about his family before he met my grandma, his many siblings that I haven't met, more about his racing career. I still remember the last time I saw him, when I left their house from a week-long vacation in 2007. I remember him always wanting the best for me, and always wanting me to do what I wanted to do. I really wish he would have been able to see my wedding pictures, but he loved Rob as a grandson already by the time he passed in September 2007.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would definitely be my maternal grandmother- I talked about her another thread recently..... I would want it to be her so that I could tell her all the things I didn't before she passed away; how very much I loved her and that I was sorry for not getting her watermelon (long story). My Gramma was my best friend and she died when i was 12. She was a big influence in who I am today and if she would have lived I think I only would have been a better person under her influence. Thursday is actually the 19th anniversary of her death

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Grandpa, just to ask him about his life experiences, and to watch a baseball game with him. He loved Gene Autry, who once owned the California Angels, and I remain an Angels fan to this day. One of my more profound memories of the two of us is watching the Angels blow a 3-1 playoff series lead and collapse against the Red Sox in 1986, and it was with equal redemption for me that they won the 2002 World Series. Though Mr. Autry had in fact died years earlier, I know my Grandpa was smiling; hopefully he shared that final out with me, as I did with him.

My Grandpa was around until my late 20's, but I was so self-absorbed I never got to know him the way I would have liked. I was also far too susceptible to influence from other family members, who liked to play this game where there was a revolving scapegoat for the family's problems. That was my Grandpa's role for a long time. I realized too late that he wasn't the bad guy.

I'd just like him to know that I "get it" now, and that as I get older, I realize that I share more traits and quirks with him than I do anyone else in my family.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Yosemite. It's a tie between my Grandpa, who died when I was 4 (I still have MANY memories of his wonderful unconditional love) and my brother whom I lost 5 years ago without getting to say "goodbye."

I'm thinking about how painful the end of THAT day would be, no matter the choice.

Interesting question.

Cally

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Dad. I was close to both Mum and Dad, but closer to my Dad. I know he knows everything that's happend where he is, but i would like to sit down with him and tell him myself. Plus he'd get to meet the fur kids

This is wierd because it's coming up to his anniversary in 1 1/2 weeks

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I can't pick just one.
Me, too. Having lost Mom just last year, she is the first one I thought of.

My paternal grandfather died when I was only about 5 so I never got to know him very well. I would love to ask him questions about his mother (who died before my Dad was born) and English born grandfather.

Now I need to open another box of tissues.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My patenal grandfather.

The last time I saw him was 3 years before his death. He passed away on January 31,2000, my freshman year of high school. I remember the day I found out like it was yesterday. He and I were close even though they lived in AZ. I have yet to go out there to say "good-bye" and I still cry about him A LOT. Mom says I need closure.

It's just hard with my wedding coming up. I wish he were here. He saw my 2 cousins on my dad's side and sister(all 11+ years older than me)graduate high school and college and some get married. He never saw me get to do those things and I miss him so much

Scary thing is, my daddy looks more and more like him everyday

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would want anyone b/c it would be devastating to let them go again. I don't think I could do it or handle it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I don't think I would want anyone b/c it would be devastating to let them go again. I don't think I could do it or handle it.
I've been thinking that, too. Every time I think of a person I'd like that time with (and there are very many), I panic at the thought of only a day.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would bring back Sadie.
She was family and I miss her.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to pick one, but it would be between my Paternal grandma and Paternal Grandpa. Grandpa died when I was 2 and so I never really knew him... I've seen one pic of him (making me glad I didn't inherit his nose), but would have loved to talk to him, get to know him.

Grandma died when I was 6. I have a few memories of her, but so very few. She was the only family member to ever actually SAY I Love You to me while growing up... I remember that 30 years later... I have some of her things, but I'd love to sit and have tea with her and just talk. And to hear those words again.

Dang it, now I'm crying...
Amanda