George Foreman Grills, anyone have one?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one, and I love it for the most part.... Throw the stuff on, shut the lid, come back in X mins and done.

(for those who don't know what they are: http://www.georgeforemancooking.com/...x?ProductID=13 )

I do have one negative though, and wondered if anyone else has had this.

On the base side, I find the meat will almost singe/burn, and gets some black coating on it.... the topside is fine though.... It does not taste burnt, or taste wrong.... just looks burnt.

Anyone else have this experience?

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to with my older one, which sort of made me start flipping them - but it's kind of like what's the point then.

It could be your machine is getting older and that the teflon on the bottom has worn too much.

I just purchased a new one and am no longer having those problems. Though I'm also now doing a quick spritz of non-stick on it.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one, loved it. We never had that problem. We just threw it away, because the nonstick coating wore off. But we'd had it over two years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DragulescuGirl

I used to with my older one, which sort of made me start flipping them - but it's kind of like what's the point then.

It could be your machine is getting older and that the teflon on the bottom has worn too much.

I just purchased a new one and am no longer having those problems. Though I'm also now doing a quick spritz of non-stick on it.
Its brand new

I've used it ummmm, 4 or 5 times.

I don't see any visible signs of the teflon wearing off, that was my first concern even though it is new.

I'll try spraying it
Like you, I'm starting to flip my burgers, which defeats the purpose.

We're having burgers for supper tonight, so I'll try the spray and see how it works out.

thx

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Its brand new

I've used it ummmm, 4 or 5 times.

I don't see any visible signs of the teflon wearing off, that was my first concern even though it is new.

I'll try spraying it
Like you, I'm starting to flip my burgers, which defeats the purpose.

We're having burgers for supper tonight, so I'll try the spray and see how it works out.

thx
Oooooh, hmmm... That's really no good! If the problem continues I'd call the company and see if they will replace it.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you "season" it with a cooking spray before the first use? Sometimes they have you do that and tell you you're good to go forever (though in reality, a little refresher is necessary after a bit).

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one for a Christmas present about 10 years ago. I just noticed the box sitting on a shelf in the basement the other day. I've never used it

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Did you "season" it with a cooking spray before the first use? Sometimes they have you do that and tell you you're good to go forever (though in reality, a little refresher is necessary after a bit).
You shouldn't have to "season" teflon. Yes, season cast iron and steel pans but certainly not teflon. With all the bad hype about teflon these days, I'm paranoid to even use it. I mostly use my well seasoned old cast iron fry pan for my burgers. I'm not a huge BBQ type fan.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You shouldn't have to "season" teflon. Yes, season cast iron and steel pans but certainly not teflon. With all the bad hype about teflon these days, I'm paranoid to even use it. I mostly use my well seasoned old cast iron fry pan for my burgers. I'm not a huge BBQ type fan.
Ah, my bad. See what happens when I try and get all domestic? I just bought my first cooking apparatus in a gazillion years (an electric griddle), and now all of a sudden I think I'm freakin' Gordon Ramsay!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours has always done that. It's got to be at least 9 yrs old by now. We just clean it with wet paper towels, and try to catch it while it's still warm (not hot). That's the easiest way to get the black stuff off.

I'd really like the new ones with removable plates that can go in the dishwasher.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an old one, but haven't used it in ages. It was never quite as easy to clean as they claimed. I don't recall having any problems with how it cooked the food though.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3
They are a popular wedding shower gift
Two tiny ones and one big one. I have yet to cook with my own, but used my MIL's before. She uses hers for just about everything. I found my burgers got the singed look as well.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...573568&sr=1-24

I just used it last night for some salmon! Yum yum. I really like it, and haven't noticed a problem with one side cooking fast than the other. I let it heat up for a long time before I put anything on it. I figure the more time goes by, the more evenly the heat is distributed.

To clean up, I make sure it's hot and wipe it down with a paper towel. Otherwise, the oils start to solidify and they're harder to remove that way.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have a George Foreman, which gets used on the rare occasion for cooking sausages and bacon...I love it when they cook with that

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I have an old one, but haven't used it in ages. It was never quite as easy to clean as they claimed. I don't recall having any problems with how it cooked the food though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who ran into this! I had an old one that we used constantly before we bought the house, but since then I don't know when the last time we pulled it out was. It was always a pain to clean, though. Not as bad as it could have been, but you still had to put some work into it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had one for years! The one I have is similar to this one, only the top lid is split into 2 halves and each half has it's own on/off and temperature controls. I think it's one of the first ones that he actually put out.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...ategoryID=7569

A few months after getting it it just stopped working. I sent it back under warranty and got another of the same sent back to me and it's been working fine.

I do have the problem of one side getting darker than the other. I forgot which side though as I haven't used it in months. And when I do I mostly just use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches. It cuts down on the fat needed...none in fact.

The grill I have is a PITA to clean. The grill plates don't come out and you have to drag the whole machine over to the sink and dangle it over the sink edge while trying to hold the 2 lid halves open at the same time, and sponging it clean with the other hand.

I would like to get a different one, one that the grill plates can be removed.

Another thing I don't like about mine is that because of the hinge mechanism you can't put the same thickness of meat at the back of the grill as you do the front because you can't close the lid. Not sure if that was ever changed with the newer ones or not.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one. It's ok. I find that it loses a lot of juice resulting in drier foods, and it's kind of a pain to clean if you get some real grime on it, but otherwise it's nice.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The grill I have is a PITA to clean. The grill plates don't come out and you have to drag the whole machine over to the sink and dangle it over the sink edge while trying to hold the 2 lid halves open at the same time, and sponging it clean with the other hand.
I have the same problem - due to an old shoulder injury, it is weak and so I have trouble cleaning mine! So that I have stopped using it.