My cat chased acouple of flies and ate them.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is quite the little hunter.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe, she's trying to be like my kitty boy, Jason! He thinks he's quite the hunter as well, our bug population is being kept under control :p

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 like that brother and sister, I call one the Predator and the other the terminator, one hunts the other finishes off.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yum yum....
freshly caught flies.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I swooped down and took away a fly from my kitty once. She was very peeved. But her sister had tapeworms and the vet said that she probably got it from eating a fly...Am I taking the fun out of it for my girls?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good kitty! Get them bugs!

My Aya killed a giant cockroach a couple weeks ago. She's on her way to earning her keep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

I swooped down and took away a fly from my kitty once. She was very peeved. But her sister had tapeworms and the vet said that she probably got it from eating a fly...Am I taking the fun out of it for my girls?
Thanks.

I was just waiting for an excuse on why it is bad for cats.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One time when I was in my old apartment. After I moved in, there were alot of boxes that were in puddles for some reason. I took them into the backroom of my place. (It was a basement apartment).

It turns out the damp boxes were a perfect breeding ground for houseflies

So when I came home from work a few days later (or however long their gestation is) There were swaths of flies fying around.

I got out the fly swatter and killed them all.

Miss Trout ate them up...she loved them.
I do wonder now why I let her eat so many flies..but thanking god that she didn't get sick.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once had a cat that thought he was an anteater. We had an ant problem in that house (next door neighbors used their backyard as a dump and the bugs spread), and Cloud would lick lines of ants off of the walls and those floors that were suitable for licking.

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate spiders (especially them with the tiny bodys and big legs) eek!! Anyway yesterday I was tidying up and came across a big nasty spider in the kitchen. So I shut my little hunter Amadeus in there Then ten minutes later let him back in. Spider vanished
Magic !

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat also kills and immediately consumes any bug found.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack will only hunt it if it flies--he was so upset that there was a fly in the kitchen today that needed killed but the new baby was in the kitchen and he just wouldn't breach the doorway to get to it. You could see it in his eyes, the big debate--fly, kitten, fly, kitten.

Leslie

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my boys love to hunt bugs. Tailer is the most successful. (Forest tries, but he gets intention tremors of his head when he gets excited. It's hard to hunt with a bobble head!)

When Tailer was a kitten, he used to love for us to pick him up and hold him up to the ceiling near where the fly was. He'd grab the fly right off the ceiling and eat it. Now that he's older he's not quite so enthusiastic.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

Am I taking the fun out of it for my girls?
Nah, the fun is in the chase, flys can't taste as good as whatever you're feeding them!

One of mine is so OCD when it comes to hunting that she will exhaust herself trying to get a fly on the outside of the window. I had a laser toy for them for all of an hour, but had to pass it on to someone else when I realized that for her it wasn't fun, she was too frustrated comeing up with empty paws.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Watch out or Peta might send your cat a humane fly trap! Or better yet some tofly

My dogs like to catch lightning bugs. They don't use a jar with holes on the top either

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your signature says it all.

"You can take the cat out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the cat."

My friends cat always did this with spiders and she just shrugged and said, "This is life with an obligate carnivore. I got used to it." LOL!

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that our cats hunt flies. All the neighbors in our mobile park have a fly problem in the summer time, but us. If even one gets in the house one of the boys are bound to catch it. I should rent them out to the neighbors!