QOTD: Tues. June 9 2009

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning folks....

Today's question has to do with something I read in someone else's post and it seems to be the season for it.

It's about the sun

Do you wear sunscreen and do you tan??????

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I wear sunscreen. I have pretty light skin so I've always worn it or covered up in the summer. I blistered once and decided that was more than enough.

No tanning for me. A) I never really saw the point. If I'm outside, I'm going to be ding some acivity B)There's too much proof that it's bad for you for me to think it's worthwhile C) I don't tan anyway. I burn, then the burn goes away in a day or so and I'm just as light as before. All in all, it just sems to be far more trouble than it's worth to me.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely wear sunscreen, because if I do, I dont tan! And when it comes to tanning, usually I'll have to get a slight sunburn first before a tan will stick!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do wear sunscreen when I am out. I have skin that tans very easily though so I generally do have a bit of a tan during the summer months even with wearing the sunscreen.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never will go to a tanning salon-its just a dumb move to damage ones skin for the sake of temporarily looking good.

I carry sunscreen with me on my jobs and spray my face (as well as wearing a big hat) and other exposed areas.

My twin tanned alot when we were younger and you can see the difference in our skin condition.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunscreen is a must out here.
I prefer my slug white complexion

Skin cancer runs in my family, so even if I wasn't tattooed I'd be wearing my SPF 50

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear sunscreen if I am going to be outside, which is not very often.
I don't tan though. If I get a really bad sunburn, I will end up being a little bit tanned after.

I want to go tanning before my wedding because I am really white. I probably wont though and will just get a spray tan.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love to tan. I even purchased my own tanning bed. My mother had vitiligo when she was in her teens. Mine started when I turned 40, but it is a fast moving type, and I'm nearly as depigmented as my mom is.....what took her 60 years, took me only 10. My tanning bed makes a nice table to store stuff on...I've tried several times to sell it (it's like brand new.) I usually wear long sleeves/long pants year round (I'm pretty selfconscious about it.) If I'm working in the garden, I wear total sunblock, because the depigmented areas burn very easily....the normal skin tans very easily, and then I just look like hell.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to tan (tanning bed) and I do tan very nicely, but I don't do it anymore. Too much worry about skin cancer. I don't wear sunblock because frankly, I hate the sun and I avoid it as much as possible! I also hate hot weather so I try not to be out of my air conditioning

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only tan on vacation. If I know I will be outside for a long time I will were sunscreen. I just hate feeling greasy and smelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never used to wear sunscreen... I can remember a bad burn once where I ended up with blisters

About 5yrs ago, when I started helping out on the in-laws farm, I started putting sunscreen on my upper half... like neck, and shoulders... I normally wear tank tops with thin straps thru the warm weather, and working out on the farm, picking stone for 8-10hrs, is a recipe for a painful sunburn...

About 3yrs ago is when I started getting extensive tattoo work done... I have alot of money invested in my tattoos... I put sunscreen on them everytime I'm going to be out for longer than 20mins.

I do tan (not at a salon, and not as in laying outside in the sun) after one slight burn naturally because I do spend alot of time outside, and don't always reapply the sunscreen except on my tattoos.

But I think as I've gotten older, I've also gotten more respect for the sun and the damage it can cause.... If I can prevent a cancer, I would like to do so.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can tan a little, but not very much. In general, I try to avoid spending much time in the direct sun. I really don't like the smell and feel of sunscreen, so I do avoid places like the beach unless there's a big beach umbrella involved. When I do have to get out in the sun for a while I always try to wear sunscreen because I know that I burn pretty quickly.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a really fair-skinned redhead. I don't tan even if I try. I pretty much go from white to pink to white again. So, yes, I usually wear sunscreen. Might as well avoid the wrinkles and cancer if I can't tan anyway.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunscreen is a must in our climate. 110+ in the summer here. I have really fair skin so I just burn anyway. I just don't want to risk skin cancer, it's an ugly way to go.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very fair skin so I burn. I don't respond well to the sun anyway, it makes me sick to my stomach for some reason. So I avoid it especially when it is the hot summer sun. So, no tan for me! I have an SPF in my facial moisturizer but don't worry about my body. I'm just not out in the sun enough to justify slathering my body with SPF everyday.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a kid, when I was out in the sun all day everyday all summer, I eventually tanned after a couple of burns. In those days nobody knew about sunblock -- and those who sunbathed slathered themselves with baby oil.

I prefer not to be in the sun these days, and certainly not to that extent, but I do use sunscreen if I can't avoid exposure.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have super sensitive skin and am yet to find a sunblock that will not cause a reaction. I have foundation that is spf15 that I put on if I am going to be in the sun. I tan, sort-of. It is really hard for me to get a tan and keep it and I have to burn first for it to turn into a tan.