Fleas!!!!!! What to do?!?!

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats who live solely in my bedroom. Somehow pesky fleas have managed to get inside and I just found a batch of flea eggs on one of my babies. Another has been scratching like crazy to the point his hair has fallen off in some areas. I was told by the stupid vet it had to deal with his disease. I had my doubts but said ok w.e.

My question is what can i clean my room with to get rid of these pesky fleas, what do you guys recommend to get rid of the fleas on them?

Please advise, I've never had to deal with fleas!!! I guess I should thank my sister for not taking care of her dog properly and allowing it to continue to have fleas rrrrrr.

Thanks in advance

Carrie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do not use any OTC flea products! That is the most important thing I can say - as they have been known to kill.

If you can, use humane grade Diatomaceous Earth, sprinkle on the carpets, sweep it in, & leave it sit awhile. It's pet safe. If you can't find DE, then you can use Borax, however, it is not pet safe, so keep the pets off it!

If you have fleas in one room, they're everywhere in the house. Go to your vet for topical treatment, all animals in the house need to be treated at the same time (dogs & cats - whether your or not, must be treated for there to be any progress). It takes 3 months to interrupt the flea life cycle - when I had flea in the house I had to revolution everyone for 3 months & was good after that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just vacuuming kills most fleas (it's a bit hard on them to be sucked up and beater-barred
), so vacuum a lot. You can put a cut-up flea collar in the bag for extra flea killing power if you want. But don't use flea collars on your cats---they're very toxic. DE or Borax will work, too, but like I said, just vacuuming kills most of them.

For the cats, get some Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution (or whatever your vet sells, I think there are a couple other good brands). DO NOT use grocery-store type flea meds, such as Hartz or Bio-Spot. Ask your vet which one works best in your area. You don't have to buy the products from your vet (although a lot of vets price-match, so ask), PetCo, Petsmart, and plenty of online stores sell the good brands. If you order online, be sure to order from a reputable, well-established online store.

tenorgirl33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used Frontline Plus for both my cats when I got Matty, and it's really seemed to work, so that's what I'd suggest. He also had the problem when he'd ripped all the fur on his back legs off, itching because of the fleas, but it's starting to grow back, and he doesn't itch nearly as much. He still has some itchy scabs from scratching/biting himself, but there aren't fleas on him anymore.

Per advice from my vet and several other people with cats: After you vacuum, make sure to immediately take the vacuum bag (or empty the canister) and throw it away and take the trash out of the house. Fleas can make their way back out of a vacuum bag if you leave it in the vacuum or in the trash in your house. Also, wash anything fabric you can because the fleas will hide in it.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Just vacuuming kills most fleas (it's a bit hard on them to be sucked up and beater-barred
), so vacuum a lot.
I haven't had a flea problem in years (knock on wood), but not long ago I read about a study suggesting that the vacuum cleaner is the best weapon in your arsenal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'm going to pick up some frontline tomorrow!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

I have 4 cats who live solely in my bedroom. Somehow pesky fleas have managed to get inside and I just found a batch of flea eggs on one of my babies. Another has been scratching like crazy to the point his hair has fallen off in some areas. I was told by the stupid vet it had to deal with his disease. I had my doubts but said ok w.e.
This doesn't make sense?? Since when it having fleas a disease? Has a vet since your cats since the infestation? How old are your kitties?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
problem a few years back. Nothing OTC worked. Even the most expensive treatment was a waste of money. I had to have an exterminator come in. His work was guaranteed and he had to come back a couple of times before they were gone. He told me even washing the bedding will not get rid of them. They can survive in the washing machine. I threw out all bedding. I would put a paper plate full of vasoline on the floor. I would check it from time to time. You can gauge how many fleas you have by the number stuck in the jelly. The numbers started going down until there were none. Very hard to kill. Good luck.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

problem a few years back. Nothing OTC worked. Even the most expensive treatment was a waste of money. I had to have an exterminator come in. His work was guaranteed and he had to come back a couple of times before they were gone. He told me even washing the bedding will not get rid of them. They can survive in the washing machine. I threw out all bedding. I would put a paper plate full of vasoline on the floor. I would check it from time to time. You can gauge how many fleas you have by the number stuck in the jelly. The numbers started going down until there were none. Very hard to kill. Good luck.
Depending on how severe your infestation is, sometimes the exterminator is the way to go - been there done that. Same as you, I got products OTC and even some sprays from a vet - none of it worked.

Fleas are more difficult to get rid of than lice. They can survive in carpeting up to a year I believe. Vacuuming does not KILL them - it sucks them into the vacuum and if you don't take the bag outside immediately to empty it, they are going to crawl back out of it - I don't know how they manage, but they do.

Fleas don't actually spend their lifetime living on you pet. They hop on for a meal and then hop off and into your rugs/furniture to lay their eggs once they've feasted on your pet.

Diatomaceous Earth (FOOD/HUMAN GRADE) is wonderful for sprinkling in your carpets to kill fleas and any hatching fleas. It is safe for you and your pets and does the job.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the study I came across:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1217111010.htm

That said, I realize that many people have experienced infestations that require more action. If I ever have this problem again (I really hope that I won't), I would certainly try other methods in addition to regular vacuuming.

Good luck to you, BMW, whatever you end up trying!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used and continue to use Revolution. When I had a big flea outbreak a couple years ago, I used the Revolution and vacuumed the floors every day for about a week, to make sure I got all the fleas and eggs.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

This doesn't make sense?? Since when it having fleas a disease? Has a vet since your cats since the infestation? How old are your kitties?
My cat has LPGS, that is the disease the vet was talking about.....not the fleas.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My question is what can i clean my room with to get rid of these pesky fleas, what do you guys recommend to get rid of the fleas on them?
Boric acid flea powder. Needs to be of quality, and you need to apply it properly so your cat(s) can't get to it and eat it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Boric acid flea powder. Needs to be of quality, and you need to apply it properly so your cat(s) can't get to it and eat it.
Boric acid is toxic of course so I would recommend Diatomaceous Earth rather than any OTC flea powders. I would not recommend using any OTC flea products.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyway i got some advantage since it was the only one that came in a pack of 4. i applied it last night, so far the scratching is a bit less. I plan to take one of my cats to the vet probably monday. as he is the one who has lost the most hair and itches the most. if the vet dares tell me that it is because of his stomatitis im going to have to set him straight because all 4 are on the same boat. kuki the one with stomatitis is the one that is missing the most of his hair.

Is advantage any good?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage is usually prescribed by vets, and it is better than any OTC product, and safer too.

Getting rid of the fleas on your animals is only part of the problem. You need to get rid of the fleas and eggs in your furniture and carpet too - anywhere the pets go - in the yard as well.

You can sprinkle baking soda on your furniture and carpets, let it sit overnight and vacuum. Putting an OTC flea collar in the vacuum bag is good too, BUT NEVER USE AN OTC FLEA COLLAR ON YOUR PETS!

Google up flea control, and you will find some useful information.

It is possible that you will need to have your animals bathed by the vet if there is any sign of live fleas.

Yes, animals can die from fleas. They literally are blood sucked to death.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks

Luckily my cats only live in my room. They never ever leave my room or go outside. There are no carpets in my room, I have tile so I figure that's better since they cannot hide. I will clean my room thoroughly and bathroom since that is all they have access too. I assume they caught fleas because my sister loves to leave the bathroom door open and her little dog who has fleas sleeps on the bathroom rug. Then when I shower, my cats hang out in the bathroom w me. My room is a master bedroom w a door that connects to the bathroom. I will have to reallllyy clean the bathroom and probably just buy new rugs.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

Thanks

Luckily my cats only live in my room. They never ever leave my room or go outside. There are no carpets in my room, I have tile so I figure that's better since they cannot hide. I will clean my room thoroughly and bathroom since that is all they have access too. I assume they caught fleas because my sister loves to leave the bathroom door open and her little dog who has fleas sleeps on the bathroom rug. Then when I shower, my cats hang out in the bathroom w me. My room is a master bedroom w a door that connects to the bathroom. I will have to reallllyy clean the bathroom and probably just buy new rugs.
In order to get fleas out of your house completely your sister needs to get Advantage or Revolution from the vet for her dog. The fleas are torturing her little dog as well so if she loves the dog she should do something about the fleas. As long as the dog comes into the house he is spreading the fleas around. Fleas jump on an animal for a feed and then jump off and live in furniture and carpeting. You can carry fleas into your bedroom on your clothing because if there are fleas in the rest of the house they are going to jump on you as well and get a lift to the nearest meal, i.e., your cats. The flea eggs and some live fleas are most likely in your bedding as well.

It's like treating one apartment for roaches - it doesn't work. The roaches will move to the other apartments until it's safe to move back to the one that was fumigated. Fleas are doing the same at your house.