not covering waste in the litter pan

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mods, I am not sure if this belongs here, so if not, my apologies.

My five week old cat kabuki is using the litter box, she gets in, scratches, goes poo and then scratches, but she doesn't cover her poo, is this normal, or is it because her mom never showed her how, I doubt if Maxine can show her

thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats either cover or they don't. Not much you can do about it. She may do a better job as she gets older, but I doubt it. Some say they don't cover if they are dominate cats.

I've had both dominate and non-dominate cats not cover in the litter pan. And I've also had dominate cats cover. Some will cover another cats, which helps. You cannot make them cover if they don't.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KABUKIDAD

or is it because her mom never showed her how
Since you found her so young, this is probably the case.

And I hate to be the bearer of this news......but.......guess what? You can play mom and show her how. When I had orphaned litters, I had to get next to them when they used the litter box and push the litter on top of their waste once they finished. I made darn sure they were watching me so that I didn't have to do it for very long. And they learned very quickly.

My technique you ask? I didn't want to use a large object like a scooper, cause that doesn't look anything like a kitten arm. So I wrapped a tissue around my finger and covered it with that. DH just pushed litter on top of it with his fingers. There's always soap and water for your hand if you are the squeamish type. But I suspect with dogs you've seen (and cleaned) it all.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We have a 16-year-old cat who has never covers her stuff. She does spend 5 minutes scratching the sides of box but has never touches the litter.
I would try showing her the way Momofmany described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, just was wondering if it was abnormal or not, it is easier to find uncovered, I will try it a few times, and yes you are right, with dogs, I am not squeamish any more

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its more important the kitten or cat is USING the litter pan, then to worry about if he/she is covering up waste....

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momofmany, you definitely win the prize for going above and beyond on this one! Your dedication is to be commended.

At least one of mine is guilty of not covering, but it doesn't really bother me, probably because I have covered boxes. (I realize not all cats will tolerate them, though.)