Is it possible for a cat to become "un-neutered"?

lola4795

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for a neutered cat to become "un-neutered"? Here's the background:

We had a 2 year old male cat who was neutered at 6 months. We assumed that the job was done correctly, but never really thought about it because we had no female cats.

About a year ago we got a female kitten. She went into heat this spring. When she went into heat this neutered male cat started spraying. This seemed strange to us, since he was neutered, but we didn't think too much about it. We ended up just keeping him outside. No big deal since all of our cats technically live outside.

Sadly, this male cat was killed in an accident about a week later.

Fast forward a couple of months: Our female cat had 5 kittens last week. Three of them look exactly like their mother and two of them are identical to this male cat. He was a big, beautiful all black cat. We don't see too many of them wandering around.

Is it possible that he fathered this litter of kittens? Since he's gone now, we have no way of knowing if his "goods" are there or not. But, these kittens sure do look like him!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lola4795

No big deal since all of our cats technically live outside.
This answers your question, she bred with a male cat while outside. Black is a common color.

It is possible for vets to botch the job both while neutering and spaying cats, but not that common. An altered cat can still spray, it has nothing to do with neutering. Any disruption in a household can set some cats off. Your female going into heat would have been rather confusing or even unsettling to him - more so for the unaltered males it would attract.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please spay and neuter all your cats! Overpopulation is a huge problem, so please don't contribute to it. Also spaying and neutering leads to a longer and healthier life for your animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lola4795

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Please spay and neuter all your cats! Overpopulation is a huge problem, so please don't contribute to it. Also spaying and neutering leads to a longer and healthier life for your animals.
Ummm.... please don't judge. We always spay and neuter our animals. Not spaying this female cat was a deliberate decision. We wanted her to have kittens because we needed more cats (we live in the country and need mice control). We will be spaying her as soon as possible.

Please don't jump to conclusions.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats actually work for mice control? I've found that you can have multiple cats and will actually get lucky if just one of them shows any interest and ability at catching anything. Most prefer to have all of their meals from a food dish. ...I must have lazy cats.

lola4795

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do your cats actually work for mice control? I've found that you can have multiple cats and will actually get lucky if just one of them shows any interest and ability at catching anything. Most prefer to have all of their meals from a food dish. ...I must have lazy cats.
When we had 4 cats we wondered if they actually were helping with mice control. Now that we're down to 1, we definitely see a difference. There is much more evidence of mice in our outbuildings!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the evidence is that wellfed cats make the best mousers. Mine all catch a variety of critters when they are outside, mice,voles, rats, shrews, a squirrel, lizards, snakes etc. And no one can say they are not well fed indoors.

lola4795

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I believe the evidence is that wellfed cats make the best mousers. Mine all catch a variety of critters when they are outside, mice,voles, rats, shrews, a squirrel, lizards, snakes etc. And no one can say they are not well fed indoors.
Yep. This is my experience too.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola, not judging here, but want to make a suggestion. Next time you need more kitties, instead of breeding more maybe contact a local TNR group.

I help with TNR and we always have some "friendlies" and semi-ferals in larger feral colonies that really do not belong there. It is so hard to find them homes and we desperately need good "barn" homes all the time.

I know I could find you at least two dozen, spayed/neutered, vaccinated, vet checked adult kitties tomorrow that desperately need a good outside home. They would be FREE as well (of course making a donation to the TNR group is always appreciated)

Please consider this the next time you need some good mousers. These kitties really need you and others like you with barns that need to be kept rodent free.

As to the Uneutering... did you notice whether both this boys testicles had dropped? He could have been a crypt orchid an the vet only took out the dropped testicle. The undropped one isn't always sterile and if not removed via a "spay" typer surgery and result in a cat that can impregnate females.

Just a possibility, but not a likely one. More likely, as others have said, is that you have a thief in the night feral tom that sired the kittens.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Lola, not judging here, but want to make a suggestion. Next time you need more kitties, instead of breeding more maybe contact a local TNR group.

I help with TNR and we always have some "friendlies" and semi-ferals in larger feral colonies that really do not belong there. It is so hard to find them homes and we desperately need good "barn" homes all the time.

I know I could find you at least two dozen, spayed/neutered, vaccinated, vet checked adult kitties tomorrow that desperately need a good outside home. They would be FREE as well (of course making a donation to the TNR group is always appreciated)

Please consider this the next time you need some good mousers. These kitties really need you and others like you with barns that need to be kept rodent free.
I have another 15 or so that I would love to find a good barn home for! There are many ways to get mousers, so spaying/neutering is still the best choice.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i know at least two people that *thought* their kitties were spayed/neutered, but i huess the vet missed something important in there. its always possible, but really is rare