I would like to see your gardens....please?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big or small, I would love to see some pics of everyones gardens

What do you like in your gardens? Bushes? Flowers?

Personally, I like shrubs, hostas and assorted lilies. I'm not much for a bunch of flowers. I do like assorted colours though.... I have over 40 varieties of hosta
and am quite proud of them. I have several colours of lilies ( daylilies, asiatic lilies, and some others), a couple different iris, and then bushes/shrubs.

I have to take new pics of my gardens, so I'm going to go do that now.

But for now, here's a video of DD helping do the stonework on one of our gardens a few yrs back (it's since been added to, which you'll see when I post today pics)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v16/ChristinaM/Hostas2/?action=view&current=garden.flv

Post away folks, lets see those gardens.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny, I was going to post this same type of thread LOL. I would like to create a small garden on the side wall of my house and needed ideas. Cant wait to see all of your photos!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Random shots from last year. I have no idea what the flowers are. DH planted the peppers and tomatoes. Mom planted the flowers & the bushes have been there for years.

Pot at the front door

Front garden--all Mom

Peppers

Tomatoes

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's part of my garden:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...garden%202009/

Most of the pics are the new rose garden--just a corner carved out of a very tiny yard. Most of the roses bushes are small right now; a few are climbers, and will climb on the fence. I spread white marble chips on the ground (LOTS of white marble chips!), and re-used some grey bricks for edging, and added a bench.

To the left: a pic of the memorial catnip garden, which is nowhere near being done.

To the left of that, is my raised planter, full of tomatoes, peppers, peas, and beans. I haven't had a chance to finish painting it white.

I'm kind of proud of the fence--I designed it, and DH & I built it a few months ago. It's just pressure-treated lattice panels, turned side-ways, and framed out. We kept the old posts, but extended them, so we could add the finials, then painted it all white. All for less than $1000! (New new, professionally-done fence would cost about $6000, for reference.) I really love the fence! I also have veggies growing on the other side of it, and pots of potatoes.

In all of the pics: the red, hanging baskets are strawberries, as are the pots on the ground, by the chimney. We've had a few ripe ones already. I love the idea of edible landscaping--mixing flowers and veggies, to gain more food-growing space. And the strawberries get such pretty, pink flowers, too--they're just as pretty as any plant!

I also have some more small veggie beds (not shown), and pots on my deck (not shown), and a new conversation area that I just started yesterday (not shown). It was a small patch of yard, and swampy--no grass grows there. I laid a few inches of black mulch all over, moved in a new 2-seater porch swing, and planted some shade-loving plants, and 2 chairs and a little table, and solar lights. It's quite nice--or will be, when done...

The last pic is our front entry. I don't know if you can see Rosenkranz ("Rosy"), my dog statue. He has a patriotic bandana around his neck! I apologise for the green, mossy stuff on the siding--all the houses here get this--we really need to power-wash the house again this year!

I've been working for about 3 months on the yard, but still have tons of work to finish it. I try to grow most of our vegetables and fruit--on .13 of an acre--most of which is house and a large deck--it ain't easy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pics Michele.... love the kitties smelling the flowers, and your front garden is neat.

MargeCat: I love the fence, looks great. I really love the sitting area with the bench. That will be beautiful once the roses get established and fill in everything.

Keep em coming folks.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would love to post but my desktop is still (hopefully) being repaired and #2 with dial-up it would be faster if I had my desktop to burn photos and mail to everyone!!

That said I have 14 different gardens. My oldest is mixed perennials about 85 ft long and about 8 ft at the narrowest and wider at the ends. I have three separate hostas beds, one with just daylilies and ornamental grasses and are hostas on the north side of the house. I have mixed shrub border that is about 20 ft long x 10 ft wide on the short side and double the length on the other side.
I've got about 30 various types of shrub roses, about 75 different shrubs, who knows how many trees! About 30 or so varieties of ornamental grasses and close to 300 varieties of hostas. Many native/prairie plants mixed in with the other perennials.
Oh I forgot about my dwarf conifers-those numbers are adding up!

Never did a "count" of plants but lets say 4000-5000 is not an unrealistic number.

This doesn't count the 1/4 acre veg garden or the small orchard.

I tell most people I throw away in one year what people buy in their lifetime!! Mainly invasive perennials or ones with abundance of seedlings. I do have a small plant sale from time to time to feed my plant buying habit.

I won't mention the hours I need every yeat to maintain this.......

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well I would love to post but my desktop is still (hopefully) being repaired and #2 with dial-up it would be faster if I had my desktop to burn photos and mail to everyone!!
Because I know I would LOVE to see your gardens, if you could/would/want to...throw em on a disk (and any other pics you want posted) and mail it to me, and I'll post em for you

I think alot of people would love to see them Gail.

They sound wonderful. I would love to have that many hostas (unfortunately it is not going to happen on my lot size...I'm crowding as it is, and have to do some seperating this fall now that I know how big everything is).

Do you know the names of all your hostas? Just curious.... I know some of mine, and used to have tags on the rest, but they disappeared... I only have 40 someodd....

I'd love to see your daylilies and hostas. I bet they are fantastic. Do you have a variety of colours of daylilies?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I know the names and have over half labelled!! I have many duplicates of plants in different locations. I use a specific type of metal labels and my trusty Brother P-Touch. Mom and I spent about an hour or so last week making labels for my last year purchases.
I don't know many of the blue ones though so many look alike!!

I really haven't bought alot of daylilies lately I'm more into asiatic and oriental ones.....probably only about 30 or 40 different daylilies. Frans Hals is a cool one to get if you have some room.

I'll keep in mind the picture offer when I ever get my computer back!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hijack!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by crazyforinfo
What settings on your camera did you use to take the close up photos of the flowers, especially the one above?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Yes I know the names and have over half labelled!! I have many duplicates of plants in different locations. I use a specific type of metal labels and my trusty Brother P-Touch. Mom and I spent about an hour or so last week making labels for my last year purchases.
I don't know many of the blue ones though so many look alike!!
Yes they do, don't they... even the flowers on them look alike on some.

I have to say, WOW. With that many hostas, I am honestly surprised that you know the names.

I used plastic tags for mine, and they ended up disappearing. Maybe I should look for metal... Not that it would do me good now that they are gone, I have no clue what they are LOL.

I really haven't bought alot of daylilies lately I'm more into asiatic and oriental ones.....probably only about 30 or 40 different daylilies. Frans Hals is a cool one to get if you have some room.
Me too. I only have one daylily... not sure the name, but its a nice bright yellow. (Have 4 batches of it).

I like the oriental and asiatic lilies.... have several varieties, again, nothing compared to the amount you have. I'm eagarly awaiting them to bloom... If we get some nice weather, they may bloom this week.

I'll keep in mind the picture offer when I ever get my computer back!
Please do...I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your beautiful gardens.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My garden is always evolving. When we bought this house, there were 2 patches of gardens on 3 acres and one of them was horribly overgrown with weeds. I've planted a lot, and here are my spring crop of irises and columbine:

And my vibernum flowers:

I need to get a picture of our new flower beds lining the driveway. They were rocks and now they are hostas. Yes, those were the rocks where I found the snake.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I need to get a picture of our new flower beds lining the driveway. They were rocks and now they are hostas. Yes, those were the rocks where I found the snake.
for the last comment.

and I love your iris's. I have a couple but they are on their way out now.. a purple and yellow one, and I forget the other colour

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gail, I'd love to see pics of your gardens when you get the chance!!

I'd show pics of my moms garden but the cameras broke!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Hijack!!!!!!!

What settings on your camera did you use to take the close up photos of the flowers, especially the one above?
ahh that's with my old camera when I figured it out. Lumix something or other. It's back to it's original owner (DH) & I don't see it around. I know it was Macro and took a billion shots to get it right. I had to play with the contrast. Purple/pink flowers are hard to shoot.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Pic #s 6 and 7...what are those called? Those are pretty!
Do you know i can't remember what their called in picture 6?. I just saw the picture of them on the plant and liked the look of them

Picture 7 are Fuchsia. When they die off it really looks like the whole plant has died because the branches are like twigs, but come summer all the leaves and buds come on again and the shrub is even bigger