"Queen of the Damned"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Queen of the Damned" is on TV right now. I saw it in the theaters when it came out. I thought it was a stupid movie back then, and still do. However, Stewart Townsend sure makes for one gorgeous Vampyre!!!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best Vampire move ever, "Interview with a Vampire" though Tom Cruise is a quite disturbing Lestat, but that is kind of the point. Brad Pitt with the long hair, just pure eye candy! Antonio Banderas AND Brad pitt, oh my! The disturbing creepy homoerotic slightly pedifile move, gotta love it!
The book is better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had "ok" musical talent, but she sucked as an actress, especially in this movie. My date that night suggested that the only reason she got the part is because she happened to fit the costume
I didn't disagree.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Best Vampire move ever, "Interview with a Vampire" though Tom Cruise is a quite disturbing Lestat, but that is kind of the point. Brad Pitt with the long hair, just pure eye candy! Antonio Banderas AND Brad pitt, oh my! The disturbing creepy homoerotic slightly pedifile move, gotta love it!
The book is better.
I loved Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles! And I agree about Tom Cruise... down right creepy in the part.

Too bad she went off the deep end with her last Vampire book and started using her characters to bash her fans in her books.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interview was actually a much better movie than I expected, especially with Tom Cruise as Lestat. I do think that was probably his best acting role, he's the exact same character in all the rest - Tom Cruise.
Although I enjoyed looking at Antonio Banderas as Armand, it did bother me that they cast a 35ish Spaniard as a 13 year old Russian boy. But hey, nobody's perfect.

I actually did enjoy Queen of the Damned. I thought Stewart Townsend really personified Lestat as I had envisioned him.

I loved Anne Rice, but after Stan's death her whole life took a 180 degree turn and her writing did as well.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I loved Anne Rice, but after Stan's death her whole life took a 180 degree turn and her writing did as well.
Did you see her melt town on Amazon.com? The original along with a whole bunch of really, really, really heated replies both between her and some of her "fans" have been deleted.

Anne Rice Responds to Criticism of Blood Canticles

And here is her statement on her website stating that was in fact her who posted that:

http://www.annerice.com/msg092604a.htm

I felt completely insulted with her last couple of books because I felt the "fan bashing" that her character was doing, was in fact she herself.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

She had "ok" musical talent, but she sucked as an actress, especially in this movie. My date that night suggested that the only reason she got the part is because she happened to fit the costume
I didn't disagree.
I think that's a bit judgmental when it was a bad script and ridiculous movie to begin with. She was only in 2 movies before her untimely death, and Romeo Must Die wasn't a hit either, but she worked it. She was extremely talented, in every aspect, and we will never know how much she had to offer since her life was stolen at such a young age.......

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awful, awful movie. I loved Interview but this one was just bad
I did love the book though and I guess part of what bugged me about the movie (besides bad acting!) is that they completely changed the story around for the movie.

Interview is the only movie with Tom Cruise that I'll watch
and Brad Pitt as Louie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Much preferred the books. Interview was very well done, not my favorite, but they did a good job. Queen of the Damned I liked better overall, and I loved Aliyah.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Did you see her melt town on Amazon.com? The original along with a whole bunch of really, really, really heated replies both between her and some of her "fans" have been deleted.

Anne Rice Responds to Criticism of Blood Canticles

And here is her statement on her website stating that was in fact her who posted that:

http://www.annerice.com/msg092604a.htm

I felt completely insulted with her last couple of books because I felt the "fan bashing" that her character was doing, was in fact she herself.
I hadn't read that before. Doesn't surprise me at all. Actually, I had really been surprised she kept the Chronicles going as long as she did. You could tell in the writing that she was done with the vampire mythos, done with Lestat being the Brat Prince, done with the fans of her books, done with the whole thing. Of course I still bought and read every one.

As for Aaliyah, the thing that drove me nuts in Queen of the Damned is how she sounded like a kid with the cheap plastic vampire fangs. Everyone else in the movie could talk with the prosthetic fangs in, why couldn't she? Seemed to me that they wanted a "bigger" draw for the cast without spending money on a large salary and since she had a fan base for her music she was cast.
She was OK, not great. Not what I had pictured for Akasha, but that's OK. The movie overall was OK, not great, so she was about par for the course on that end. The best part of the movie was definitely the soundtrack!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Unless you meant the score, I'm going to have to disagree about the soundtrack. Being a collection of late 90s-early 2000's popular alt rock/nu-metal, it was as bad as the movie. There's a reason most of these bands only lasted a few years and are gone now, get gigs playing bars at best, or have switched genres. Manson is the only one that is still popular.
At least Sony kept Davis from actually singing on it, he was suppose to sing for Lestat. I distinctly remember the book describing Lestat's voice as melodious, something Johnathan Davis's voice is not.

I thought it was a stupid movie back then, and still do.
I completely agree with you. In fact, I don't believe I've actually been able to sit through the entire movie - I've only seen it broken up because it's that bad.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Townsend pretty much makes this movie worth watching.. as does the guy who plays Marius... hot!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^Unless you meant the score, I'm going to have to disagree about the soundtrack. Being a collection of late 90s-early 2000's popular alt rock/nu-metal, it was as bad as the movie. There's a reason most of these bands only lasted a few years and are gone now, get gigs playing bars at best, or have switched genres. Manson is the only one that is still popular.
At least Sony kept Davis from actually singing on it, he was suppose to sing for Lestat. I distinctly remember the book describing Lestat's voice as melodious, something Johnathan Davis's voice is not.
Oh no, I meant the soundtrack. OK, looking at the track listing I probably meant just a few of the tracks.
I love David Draimen's voice and Disturbed. Disturbed's last album, just released last year, was a Billboard #1 (3rd consecutive album of theirs, only the 5th rock band ever to do that), and did go platinum.
So they're still around. Papa Roach was on the 1st Cruefest tour, which was a huge success last summer. There's at least a couple who are still around.

Anne Rice said that she envisioned Rutger Hauer as playing Lestat, and his music sounding like The Rolling Stones. Given her descriptions in the books, I could see the Stones thing, but I could never see Rutger Hauer as Lestat.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Townsend pretty much makes this movie worth watching.. as does the guy who plays Marius... hot!
When "The Lord of the Rings" was being filmed and there was so much publicity and hype surrounding it, it was made known that Stewart Townsend had initially been the choice to play "Aragorn" and that a few days into filming he was let go and replaced with Viggo Mortensen.

I just can't see Stewart Townsend in the role of "Aragorn", at least not back then. He was way too young and too "pretty boyish" for the role of such an aged (90's), rugged and wise warrior. That was a casting mistake finally made right in the end.

Originally Posted by valanhb

I could never see Rutger Hauer as Lestat.
I agree! Way too old for the part!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love reading Anne Rice. i was a big fan from way back. I seemed to me that as she got more and more into writing long conversations and less action that I lost interest. I started skimming pages.