Fleas and Frontline

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello !
I brush my cats once a week on sundays as is the only day I have a couple of hours to do all extra stuff...
I noticed that they had lots of fleas !! They are indoor cats, only go out for a while to the balcony...
Today is sunday and everyting is closed here, and I only had 3 frontline for 3 cats, so I tried to divide it and give a little extra to the fatter one (7kilo)
Is it ok for me to buy more tomorrow and "complete the dose" ? usually for the fatter one I buy the "large cat dose"....now he got one amp regular dose plus a little extra drop of the other 2 cats....
Any advice is welcome as I spend my afternoon digging into their hair and trying to catch those awful fleas !

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

Hello !
I brush my cats once a week on sundays as is the only day I have a couple of hours to do all extra stuff...
I noticed that they had lots of fleas !! They are indoor cats, only go out for a while to the balcony...
Today is sunday and everyting is closed here, and I only had 3 frontline for 3 cats, so I tried to divide it and give a little extra to the fatter one (7kilo)
Is it ok for me to buy more tomorrow and "complete the dose" ? usually for the fatter one I buy the "large cat dose"....now he got one amp regular dose plus a little extra drop of the other 2 cats....
Any advice is welcome as I spend my afternoon digging into their hair and trying to catch those awful fleas !
I would not do that - this dose will probably work, considering the other two were also treated... IMO, it is better to error in the side of safety, which in this case is having a smaller dose than a bigger, potentially toxic one...
I would wait for a week or so, and then call the vet to ask, if the dosage doesn't work.
Another option would be to treat them with Diatomaceous Earth (make sure it is FOOD GRADE) - if they are so infested, it would be great to treat the carpet with DE anyways... DE is very safe, and even good if they ingest it, as it is a natural dewormer.
Also: watch for tapeworms, as kitties get them from fleas - the easiest sign to recognize them is sesame seed-like things around their but, stuck to their fur.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Another option would be to treat them with Diatomaceous Earth (make sure it is FOOD GRADE) - if they are so infested, it would be great to treat the carpet with DE anyways... DE is very safe, and even good if they ingest it, as it is a natural dewormer.
Also: watch for tapeworms, as kitties get them from fleas - the easiest sign to recognize them is sesame seed-like things around their but, stuck to their fur.
Good luck!
Thanks ! I will wait and see ... Is awfully hot here (37C so no carpets around...) but I have no idea what is the DE... I do not think they sell it here (Greece)

Thanks !

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

Thanks ! I will wait and see ... Is awfully hot here (37C so no carpets around...) but I have no idea what is the DE... I do not think they sell it here (Greece)

Thanks !
I would think they do..... It is actually super-fine sea shells, and the name sounds greek
... I would call some feed stores to check it out - I bet you can find it there.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do it. He should be fine with the regular dose for a month. While I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Frontline, often times flea treatment and preventatives can be quite harmful to she skin especially at the wrong doses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the good news are that fleas are gone ! They stopped scratching and in their beds there were about 10 dead flea bodies..... yacks !

I guess I carried them in my clothes from the thousand strays I pet...