I just stopped my sister from getting a puppy from a bad Pet Store!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister saw this white Chihuahua that she wants.
I told her Pet Store are bad and do not get a puppy there.
I also told her if she wants another dog I can find her a good Chihuahua breeder.
Then we checked reviews and they are terrible.
They all come from Puppy Mills.
They are also charging $1300 for the puppy.
When I was around 12 my mom made a very big mistake and got a puppy from a Pet Store and it was so sick and the breed was wrong.
The place was shut down and they were sued.
If anyone wants to see the reviews of the place my sister was going to get the puppy from I can PM them.
Chinchi my sisters chinchilla that died very suddenly last week came from there.
We heard other chinchillas died from there also after people had them for no reason.
She is still very upset about Chinchi.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chihuahuas are a common breed. Would she be against going through a shelter or breed rescue to get one? I'm sure it's mostly a matter of her seeing one and "falling in love" with it, so waiting for one from a breeder may be a bit more difficult for her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you stopped her
Most pet shop kittens and pups are from BYB's.

Hope you can find her a good breeder.

Sorry to hear about Chinchi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Chinchi died so sudden it does not make any sense.
She has one Chihuahua already but really wanted this white one.
She does loo at pet finder and pounds also.
She sends me all the pictures.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO glad she didn't buy! That was very wise not to buy from a pet store. They will just replace that one with another puppy mill puppy, and the cycle will continue. I wish everyone would stop buying from such places.
The reason you will never find responsible breeders EVER selling to pet stores is since they don't just sell their intact puppies to whatever random person on a first come first serve basis who has money at that moment in time.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't buy from pet stores. There are exceptions, and you will go through a screening process, they are very strict. Others are just out to make money.
I used to work at a pet shop, years ago, I saw things that shattered me to my soul. Puppy mill, ferret mill (Marshal farms) Dogs and cats coming in with fresh spay and neuter surgery. I walked out of the job when a puppy had bloody stool and my manager asked if it was visibale from the floor. A customer alerted me to it (I was bird dept)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I'm glad you stopped her
Most pet shop kittens and pups are from BYB's.
Worse. BYBs are usually well-intentioned non-professionals who just want to breed their pets. Not good, but not evil either.

Pet store puppies come from PUPPY MILLS. Pure evil. For more info: www.prisonersofgreed.org

I won't buy ANYTHING from a pet store that sells puppies or kittens. I can't support that kind of thing.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Worse. BYBs are usually well-intentioned non-professionals who just want to breed their pets. Not good, but not evil either.

Pet store puppies come from PUPPY MILLS. Pure evil. For more info: www.prisonersofgreed.org

I won't buy ANYTHING from a pet store that sells puppies or kittens. I can't support that kind of thing.
Yup... I'm against buying anything from stores like that as well. I was in the shopping center with the local Petland and dropped in just to look at the pups and kittens. They actually had a mama cat with nursing kittens on display!

And yes, they are horrible with pairing people with breeds, it's just whatever people decides looks the best. Over a year ago I saw a family that was playing with a little Yorkie pup to see if they wanted it. The mom stood up after a couple of minutes and said "Can we change dogs? This one's teeth are too sharp" and were asked which one they wanted instead. They pointed to a cage that contained two labs and a Boxer. I just walked out right then!

Encourage your sister to go through a rescue organization. Chihuahuas and chi mixes are quite common right now around here, and the adoption fee for one is certainly less than the pup they were going to buy
A friend just recently adopted the most adorable little Chi through one of the adoption agencies that came to our Petsmart. He's one of the cutest and sweetest rat dogs I've seen

But either way... Good for you! I always like to hear things like this

jrwheeler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's great that you stopped her! I personally won't even go into pet stores that sell puppies and kittens. I won't support it. You never want to purchase a puppy from a pet store since you don't know for sure what you're getting. You have no idea if any health clearances have been done on the parents, if the puppy has been checked by a vet, etc. It's much, much better to either find a resposible, reptuable breeder or go through a rescue.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you stopped her!
By the way, not the same sister that got the Devon kitten from the bad breeder, I hope?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers

Yup... I'm against buying anything from stores like that as well. I was in the shopping center with the local Petland and dropped in just to look at the pups and kittens. They actually had a mama cat with nursing kittens on display!

And yes, they are horrible with pairing people with breeds, it's just whatever people decides looks the best. Over a year ago I saw a family that was playing with a little Yorkie pup to see if they wanted it. The mom stood up after a couple of minutes and said "Can we change dogs? This one's teeth are too sharp" and were asked which one they wanted instead. They pointed to a cage that contained two labs and a Boxer. I just walked out right then!

Encourage your sister to go through a rescue organization. Chihuahuas and chi mixes are quite common right now around here, and the adoption fee for one is certainly less than the pup they were going to buy
A friend just recently adopted the most adorable little Chi through one of the adoption agencies that came to our Petsmart. He's one of the cutest and sweetest rat dogs I've seen

But either way... Good for you! I always like to hear things like this
Petland is the chain I worked for. Evil, pure evil. The employees had quotas to meet each month or we would be fired, so that will tell you how much caring was involved with matching people to the correct pet for them. I was reprimanded by my magager for spending too much time with a man who wanted to buy a baby iguana. (again, I was bird dept. but they had me trying to hard sell people all over the store) The lizzard was a low ticket item, so in the manager eyes I was wasting my time talking with the gentelman and answering his questions when I could have been trying to sell an expensive dog or a very pricey parrot.
I will say most of the people working there came in, like myself, from a love of animals and really did care, but with the quotas enforced and your job threatened every day by management, you develop a hard shell or you get out, I got out.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not the same sister that got the phoney Devon Rex.
This is my sister that has a Chihuahua named Chiquita.
She does look on the pounds websites and rescues also.
She wants a white Chihuahua which she has not seen anywhere except that bad place.
I heard they et the puppies for $200 and then they jack the price up to $1300.
You should see the complaints about that place online.
I told her all pet stores get them from puppy mills except Petsmart and those places that have the rescues and the pounds.
Also this pet store is askin for good ca breeders to sell them kittens
It even has what breeds they want.
I can imagine where the kittens come from.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! Those pet stores are evil. One of my dogs is a rescue who was a breeder in a puppymill. Some people are fool thinking that they are "rescuing" a puppy if they whip out their credit card at a pet store. They aren't rescuing a dog any more than buying a pair of shoes is "rescuing" them. For every cute puppy in the pet store there are parents condemned to a life in hell like my Sophia. People really need to see what goes on in puppy mills and not believe the baloney they get from the pet store personnel that THEIR puppies only come from good breeders. NO good breeder would turn their puppies over to a store that sells them to anyone who can come up with enough money for them.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen puppy mills and it makes me sick.
My mom got a kitten at this same pet store in 1980 and she was insane.
She attacked my sister and clawed her at least 40 times before my manx pulled her off and chased her away.
The kitten wasa mixed breed part aby.
I can not believe they are still in business.
My mom did not know anything then.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Good for you! Those pet stores are evil. One of my dogs is a rescue who was a breeder in a puppymill. Some people are fool thinking that they are "rescuing" a puppy if they whip out their credit card at a pet store. They aren't rescuing a dog any more than buying a pair of shoes is "rescuing" them. For every cute puppy in the pet store there are parents condemned to a life in hell like my Sophia. People really need to see what goes on in puppy mills and not believe the baloney they get from the pet store personnel that THEIR puppies only come from good breeders. NO good breeder would turn their puppies over to a store that sells them to anyone who can come up with enough money for them.
Indeed that is the problem. We with good hearts see these animals in inhumane situations and want to rescue them from it, (pet stores) but that just fuels the fire to bring in yet more animals and continue the torture of the breeding animals. It is such a sad catch 22.

valksy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like you did the right thing - falling in love with an animal for its fur colour or look without proper thought about background, genetics, demeanour etc sounds too much like a recipe for disaster.

You know, I am pretty appalled. In 35 years I don't know I ever saw a pet shop in the UK where you could buy a puppy or kitten. There is absolutely no need to bring more creatures in to the world when there are so many needing proper homes. I dread to think of what happens when the ones no one chooses get too old to be cute and easily rehomed. It makes me shudder tbh.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has a Chihuahua already that is not cute at all but of curse she will keep her.
Its stupid when people give them up when they are not cute anymore.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister recieved this email from the Pet Store today.
I know the place the pups come from and it is a puppy mill.
One of the worse ones.
I will omit the name but you can pm if you want to know.

Sorry about the incoming puppy list...sometimes things get changed around. For the most accurate information call us at the shop. Unfortunatley we won't know the color of the Chihuahuas until we are faxed their vaccination records the day before they arrive.

We purchase our puppies from licensed breeders through -------. We have been dealing with this kennel for over fifteen years. The name and location of each puppy's licensed breeder is on their health guarantee.

I am sorry you came across any negative reviews of our store. It seems that those with something bad to say always have the loudest voice. All I can tell you is that we are family owned and operarted and have been connecting people with healthy, happy pets since 1968. Please come in and have a look around.

She is not getting a puppy there no matter what.

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your sisters loss. I lost 2 of my doxis 3 wks ago.
they passed within 1 wk of each other. They were best friends for 15 years. One was 16 and one was 18. the 2nd one passed and we had no idea she was sick. so the same day I adopted another rescue from doxi rescure groups. Here is a link to a rescue for your sister to check out. these rescue groups evaluate the dogs/puppies before adoption, and they are already spayed and have all their shots and dentals. Check it out. I know there are a lot others.

http://www.chihuahuarescue.com/

Mary