Using Denatured Meats in Pet Food

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Using denatured meats in pet food

US Law states that meat not fit human consumption for must be ‘denaturedâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] before it is removed from the slaughterhouse and transported to a rendering facility to be made into the meat and bone meal that are used in commercial pet foods, both wet and dry.

What is it?
http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title09...4.0.21.13.html
(See the quote #1 down page)

a formula consisting of :
1 part FD&C green No. 3 coloring
40 parts water
40 parts liquid detergent
40 parts oil of citronella

Is the following list something that I want to feed my beloved pet? Yet this is what can be included in a can or bag of commercial pet food that includes meat and bone meal.

http://www.belfield.com/pet_health_art3.php
(See quote #2 follows downpage)

liquid detergent
oil of citronella
crude carbolic acid
cresylic disinfectant
finely powdered charcoal
phenol
creosote
fuel oil
kerosene

Human Grade vs Natural
"the AAFCO does not recognize nor presently address this form of labeling"
see this link:
http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandn...umaningred.htm

That means that a pet food company can list the food as ‘Human Gradeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] or ‘Naturalâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] even if it contains any of the above listed chemicals. This is not something I want my pet eating.

We pet owners need to lobby government for truth in labeling of our pet food. There needs to be truth in advertising.

quote #1
Justia--Denaturing Processes-meat
http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title09...4.0.21.13.html

Denaturing procedures
The following agents are prescribed for denaturing carcasses, parts thereof, meat or meat food products which are affected with any condition that would result in their condemnation and disposal under part 314 of this subchapter if they were at an official establishment: Crude carbolic acid; cresylic disinfectant; a formula consisting of 1 part FD&C green No. 3 coloring, 40 parts water, 40 parts liquid detergent, and 40 parts oil of citronella, or other proprietary substance approved by the Administrator in specific

{snip}

(2) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(3), (4), and (5) of this section, the following agents are prescribed for denaturing other carcasses, parts thereof, meat and meat food products, for which denaturing is required by this part: FD&C green No. 3 coloring; FD&C blue No. 1 coloring; FD&C blue No. 2 coloring; finely powdered charcoal; or other proprietary substance approved by the Administrator in specific cases
quote #2
http://www.belfield.com/pet_health_art3.php

In my time as a veterinary meat inspector, we denatured with carbolic acid (phenol, a potentially corrosive disinfectant) and/or creosote (used to preserve wood or as a disinfectant). Phenol is derived from the distillation of coal tar, creosote from the distillation of wood. Both substances are very toxic. Creosote was used for many years as a preservative for wood power poles. Its effect on the environment proved to be so negative that it is no longer used for that purpose. According to federal meat inspection regulations, fuel oil, kerosene, crude carbolic acid, and citronella (an insect repellent made from lemon grass) are the approved denaturing materials.

The condemned livestock carcasses treated with these toxic chemicals can then become meat and bone meal for the pet food industry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Why is this done? I don't understand who would benefit from it.
Supposedly it keeps the 4D meats out of the human chain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Why is this done? I don't understand who would benefit from it.
Originally Posted by sharky

Supposedly it keeps the 4D meats out of the human chain
The ones who benefit (think $$) from this practice must not care anything about what they are doing to the poor animal's health who must eat this meat which truly belongs in a land-fill somewhere and not on store shelves.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That has got to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard about. I knew 4D meats were bad, but I had no idea they were treated with chemicals before the pet food companies purchased them.

How can we find out which foods contain this garbage? How can these companies feed this stuff to our cats with a good conscious?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

That has got to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard about. I knew 4D meats were bad, but I had no idea they were treated with chemicals before the pet food companies purchased them.

How can we find out which foods contain this garbage? How can these companies feed this stuff to our cats with a good conscious?
Many on Itchmo are working on it ... but so far it seems as ALL meat in pet foods is such...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Many on Itchmo are working on it ... but so far it seems as ALL meat in pet foods is such...
Why, after all this time, am I so
? This is ridiculous. Makes me both want to cry and to throw-up.

I'm headed over to itchmo to see what I can do to help. (I donated all my Nutro packets from 2007 for testing; maybe this time some funds would help.)

No diet is perfect, but I'm ever so glad my furbabies are eating raw over commercial today.