RIP David Carradine

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed watching Kung Fu when I was younger. I named my youngest Rex, Grasshopper, because of the show.

RIP David Carradine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were other reports by other news sources, it may not have been suicide, but he did definitely hang himself.

I'll hold judgement until those other stories pan out to be either truth or fabrication.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sad end for an interesting individual. I really enjoy him in the Kill Bill movies.
I also read the book he wrote about his interests in Eastern Philosophy and it was quite good.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's very sad. I wasn't a fan, but he seemed like a decent guy...which makes what I'm going to say next about his cause of death sound awful: I don't think it was a suicide, nor murder. I think he died accidentally while practicing auto-erotic asphyxiation--when the news said he was found naked, it just made me wonder (as foul play was not suspected). Some "suicides" of men really aren't suicides--the victims die accidentally while doing this.

Now, I just read the BBC online news--it said he was found with cord (or rope) around his neck, and other parts of his body. Perhaps my first instinct was correct. It's tragic either way.

My heart goes out to his wife and kids, and his family.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

It's very sad. I wasn't a fan, but he seemed like a decent guy...which makes what I'm going to say next about his cause of death sound awful: I don't think it was a suicide, nor murder. I think he died accidentally while practicing auto-erotic asphyxiation--when the news said he was found naked, it just made me wonder (as foul play was not suspected). Some "suicides" of men really aren't suicides--the victims die accidentally while doing this.

Now, I just read the BBC online news--it said he was found with cord (or rope) around his neck, and other parts of his body. Perhaps my first instinct was correct. It's tragic either way.

My heart goes out to his wife and kids, and his family.
This was also the speculation that I read on other blog sites today. Whatever happend to protecting someone's privacy? We don't need to know the intimate details. RIP David. I enjoyed watching your shows throughout my childhood.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was the first I had heard of his demise. When I was a pre-teen "Kung Fu"was my favorite TV series!He was so great in that.He was also great in the "Kill Bill" films and his cameos on History Channel`s "Wild West Tech" always made me smile.

Sad.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

This was also the speculation that I read on other blog sites today. Whatever happend to protecting someone's privacy? We don't need to know the intimate details. RIP David. I enjoyed watching your shows throughout my childhood.
I agree thoroughly with this sentiment. We, the public, do not need the details of how he died. If it's true, it is very private and personal and we didn't need to know.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree thoroughly with this sentiment. We, the public, do not need the details of how he died. If it's true, it is very private and personal and we didn't need to know.
First of all, I posted this as we seemed to be speculating whether he committed suicide or not. While I am inclined to agree with you, the public usually doesn't, sadly. When you are a celebrity, your life is is open to everyone, right or not. From people knowing what brand of toothpaste you like, who you are dating, your pets' names, to how you died, it all seems to be fair game to the public. It is sad that he is dead, and it must be especially embarassing to his family, given what appear to be the circumstances. However, we get to know these sort of intimate details about John Q. Public, if they become let's say, a murder victim or a rape victim. Why doesn't that upset many people? Is a celebrity's privacy deemed more important than the average citizen?

Also, we want our celebrities to be "just like us". Well, we all have private things we'd rather not share, too. But, when these smarmy details come about a celebrity, we get angry or become ashamed of them. But we wanted them them to be "real" and "genuine". Well, folks, "real" people do stupid and sometimes, bad things. Some "real" people do drugs, drive drunk, cheat on their spouses, beat their kids, don't pay their taxes, abuse animals, and engage in less-than-mainstream sexual practices.

If you want to be famous, you have to accept that you no longer have privacy. Yes, it's perhaps not fair; but it's what happens. You can't have your cake, and eat it, too" to be famous, have all the perks, yet expect that something you want to be kept hidden won't be noticed and talked about publically.

I'm not saying David Carradine was a bad person, nor deserved to have his sex life made public.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

First of all, I posted this as we seemed to be speculating whether he committed suicide or not. While I am inclined to agree with you, the public usually doesn't, sadly. When you are a celebrity, your life is is open to everyone, right or not. From people knowing what brand of toothpaste you like, who you are dating, your pets' names, to how you died, it all seems to be fair game to the public. It is sad that he is dead, and it must be especially embarassing to his family, given what appear to be the circumstances. However, we get to know these sort of intimate details about John Q. Public, if they become let's say, a murder victim or a rape victim. Why doesn't that upset many people? Is a celebrity's privacy deemed more important than the average citizen?

Also, we want our celebrities to be "just like us". Well, we all have private things we'd rather not share, too. But, when these smarmy details come about a celebrity, we get angry or become ashamed of them. But we wanted them them to be "real" and "genuine". Well, folks, "real" people do stupid and sometimes, bad things. Some "real" people do drugs, drive drunk, cheat on their spouses, beat their kids, don't pay their taxes, abuse animals, and engage in less-than-mainstream sexual practices.

If you want to be famous, you have to accept that you no longer have privacy. Yes, it's perhaps not fair; but it's what happens. You can't have your cake, and eat it, too" to be famous, have all the perks, yet expect that something you want to be kept hidden won't be noticed and talked about publically.

I'm not saying David Carradine was a bad person, nor deserved to have his sex life made public.
If enough of "John Q Public" stopped buying the rags that report everything from what kind of toothpaste to what brand underwear those folks use, this kind of thing would stop. I cringe when I pass the tabloid section on my way through the cashier. If I owned a store I wouldn't let that trash through my front door. Surely I could make enough money selling responsible merchandise.

This sick wish of JQ Public to know everything about these celebrities is part of what killed Princess Diana and that is truly a tragedy.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my thoughts had been said allready so I will just say RIP. I did like him as a kid and in his interviews.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If enough of "John Q Public" stopped buying the rags that report everything from what kind of toothpaste to what brand underwear those folks use, this kind of thing would stop. I cringe when I pass the tabloid section on my way through the cashier. If I owned a store I wouldn't let that trash through my front door. Surely I could make enough money selling responsible merchandise.

This sick wish of JQ Public to know everything about these celebrities is part of what killed Princess Diana and that is truly a tragedy.
RIP David Carradine

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I stand by what I said. And I did not say that I agree that a person's private life should be made public, yet I seem to be taking heat for it in several replies here. I am only stating what SEEMS to be the issue. I, myself, have no love for celebrities, and have even gone out of my way not to meet them/get autographs; I don't normally even know much about them, in general. I don't read the scandal papers, either.

However, a celebrity practicing what APPEARS to be what Carradine was doing sexually perhaps should consider that death is a strong possibility; if they are so worried about their privacy, perhaps the ramifications of practicing this act, especially in a public place, i.e., a hotel room, should have been considered. If they are found dead, then in at least a small way, their private lives are no longer "private"; at least the person who finds them, the police, the medical examiner, etc. will know about it. Now, the fact that evidence, such as crime scene photos, etc. are leaked is wrong from another point of view: it's evidence in a possible crime (if manslaughter or murder). It compromises valuable legal evidence, if a case would go to trial.

I'm not saying that we need to see pics of dead people all over the media, BTW. I'm only saying that it's only natural that some people have a prurient interest in such things.