Wow... letter from a rescue...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent out an "all points bulletin" to rescues in the area to help with the cat population at the Livingston County Michigan Animal Control. This is the AC that has been giving me fits for the last few weeks with a bully/tyrant of a director and a board of commissioners that doesn't give a flip b/c the AC makes money.

This is what one local rescue said to me via email:
"Thanks for the e-mail, however, it is pretty much useless to try working with Livingston County Animal Control. I have tried meeting with my County Commissioner, Maggie Jones, and Bob Bloch, County Administrator. They are NOT the least bit interested in the fact that our tax-payer funded Animal Control building stands nearly empty. They don't care that anything (kittens, puppies,etc.) weighing less than two pounds are automatically euthanized.
I filed a FOIA request for the shelter report to the Dept. of Agriculture, most pertinent info was whited out and written over in ink. This came directly from Anne Burns. I brought this up to both of them(Ms. Jones and Mr. Bloch) and Mr. Bloch said "We are NOT an adoption agency!! Our only purpose is to control animals!"
Rescues pay the same rate as the public, I will not support Anne Burns "profit making venture" (Mr. Bloch told me she brought in 175,000.00 in revenue in 2007), they simply love her. She closed the kitten room, 70 or more cages stand empty(cat cages) at any time, and she quit vaccinations on intake. It's easier for her to kill them all, close down for a month's vacation when preventable disease strikes.
The voting, tax paying public is offered little for the budget, which, two years ago (according to Mr. Bloch) was 675,000.00 per year. Of that , he told me that 550,000.00 went for salaries and benefits (the people, not animals). No wonder the public is not offered shot clinics, low cost spays or neuters, participation in adoption events, etc., that even the smallest, poorest animal controls offer. Ms. Burns is not interested, and she rules. Until the County Commissioners care at all and bring Livingston County into this century, animals will continue to be killed at extremely high rates, and Ms. Burns still won't have to put out the least bit of effort to better things for the animals or the VOTING, TAX-PAYING PUBLIC who pay the bills."

This is terribly discouraging. But a citizens group has formed to try to take on this entrenched situation... and I am joining them. Maybe you can't fight "city hall"... or maybe you can. Wish us luck.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jeesh. This sounds like a Dickens novel re: workhouses of the the 19th century. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE AND HOW DO THEY SLEEP NIGHTS!!!!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if you make this a public issue, like talk to tv stations and stuff? I bet they'd love it because it would outrage people. Then a lot of people would know about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

What if you make this a public issue, like talk to tv stations and stuff? I bet they'd love it because it would outrage people. Then a lot of people would know about it.
We have a planning session tonight. Since the AC director is a vicious woman, and has gone after individuals and rescues that have come up against her, we have to be be very careful and smart about this.

She runs AC as her own little kingdom with the board's blessing.

I don't disagree with shining a great big, hot white light on the subject. Again, we have to have our ducks in a row first....

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

We have a planning session tonight. Since the AC director is a vicious woman, and has gone after individuals and rescues that have come up against her, we have to be be very careful and smart about this.

She runs AC as her own little kingdom with the board's blessing.

I don't disagree with shining a great big, hot white light on the subject. Again, we have to have our ducks in a row first....
What a greedy, evil woman. That just kind of scares me that someone could be so heartless.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I read your post I thought of our local, political radio talk show host and how he'd have a field day with this. Getting the public involved is the only way to change this problem. Politicians #1 goal is reelection. Mud on their name makes that tricky.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 words for you:

Keep Fighting!

Don't give up - gather anyone you can - eventually they *have* to listen. Make it public, don't try to attack them, but rather take a "we're here to help - I have this plan laid out" approach. They may not be willing to listen too much - but somebody has to fight them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have 2 words for you:

Keep Fighting!

Don't give up - gather anyone you can - eventually they *have* to listen. Make it public, don't try to attack them, but rather take a "we're here to help - I have this plan laid out" approach. They may not be willing to listen too much - but somebody has to fight them.
That's pretty much what we're trying to do. But the AC director still feels we are attacking her... and she tells the board she is willing to meet with this group and then when appraoched.. .refused saying she was too busy!!!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admire what you are trying to do. I think it is really great. That woman sounds like such a horrible person. I could never sleep at night if I was killing all those animals. It makes me want to cry. If they were at least trying to save some of them... How horrible.

Good luck.