moping the floor..

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi

i am used to moping the floor with a cap of dettol mixed into a bucket of water to get rid of any germs on the floor since we have babies crawling over the floors.
we have a persian cat-momo who is now a year old but after reading that disinfectants are dangerous for cats i'm thinking of stopping to put dettol for moping .. is there anything else i can use as a substitute that wont be harmful to momo ?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not familiar with dettol. What are the ingredients? If you can give us a little more information, somebody should be able to give you a better answer.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since both children and cats are using the floors, I wouldn't put down any harsh chemicals. Just use a regular mild floor cleaner. Research is increasingly showing that it's not good for babies if you use too many antibacterial products; it's actually good for them to be exposed to routine germs and build up healthy immune systems.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought myself a steam mop...and its the best ...cleans and disinfects with just water..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vinegar and water are good for cleaning floors. That's what I use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Since both children and cats are using the floors, I wouldn't put down any harsh chemicals. Just use a regular mild floor cleaner. Research is increasingly showing that it's not good for babies if you use too many antibacterial products; it's actually good for them to be exposed to routine germs and build up healthy immune systems.
i know i agree about them building their immune system .. what mild antibacterial floor cleaners would you recommend?

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Vinegar and water are good for cleaning floors. That's what I use.
could you tell me what quantities to mix please

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

It would also be helpful to know what country you are from. There are different products available in different countries.

I found some basic information about dettol for those that have not heard of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettol
im from pakistan .. we dont get many choices of products here but i can try looking for them...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't measure it, but I'd guess about 1 cup of vinegar in a bucket of water. I use plain white distilled vinegar.

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I don't measure it, but I'd guess about 1 cup of vinegar in a bucket of water. I use plain white distilled vinegar.
thank you so much for your help

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I bought myself a steam mop...and its the best ...cleans and disinfects with just water..
I use a steam mop, too, but I have a little spray bottle of vinegar that spray on the floor right before I steam mop each section of the floor.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use vinegar & water on a lot of things, including to mop the floor. I like that it's natural and gets the job done.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and I use it for most of my cleaning.
The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I agree with the vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and I use it for most of my cleaning.
The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.
I agree that using vinegar and water would be a great solution. I'm not big on chemical cleaners at the best of times.

When I was a young teen, I worked in a restaurant and every day we wiped down all the stainless steel with a damp cloth and vinegar. With all the new stainless steel appliance I've been told they will sell you a cleaner for them. What a crock! Unless you don't mind wasting money just wipe them down with a damp cloth and vinegar.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use bleach, vinegar, and water to mop (and clean surfaces) with. I do however rinse the floors before the cats are let out of the bedroom.

And no, I don't put them up because I'm worried about them getting sick - they will race back and forth across the floor and generally get in my way. If I want to sweep I have to put them up, too.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Shark Steam Mop and sometimes vinegar if it has been a really dirty day. No chemicals to worry about and it is nice and clean for babies and pets.

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone for the replies
vinegar and water it is

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I love my steam mop too, for spot cleaning I use vinegar and water, steam mop for the whole house.