TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › moping the floor..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

moping the floor..

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
hi
i am used to moping the floor with a cap of dettol mixed into a bucket of water to get rid of any germs on the floor since we have babies crawling over the floors.
we have a persian cat-momo who is now a year old but after reading that disinfectants are dangerous for cats i'm thinking of stopping to put dettol for moping .. is there anything else i can use as a substitute that wont be harmful to momo ?
post #2 of 21
I'm not familiar with dettol. What are the ingredients? If you can give us a little more information, somebody should be able to give you a better answer.
post #3 of 21
Since both children and cats are using the floors, I wouldn't put down any harsh chemicals. Just use a regular mild floor cleaner. Research is increasingly showing that it's not good for babies if you use too many antibacterial products; it's actually good for them to be exposed to routine germs and build up healthy immune systems.
post #4 of 21
It would also be helpful to know what country you are from. There are different products available in different countries.

I found some basic information about dettol for those that have not heard of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettol
post #5 of 21
I bought myself a steam mop...and its the best ...cleans and disinfects with just water..
post #6 of 21
Vinegar and water are good for cleaning floors. That's what I use.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
Since both children and cats are using the floors, I wouldn't put down any harsh chemicals. Just use a regular mild floor cleaner. Research is increasingly showing that it's not good for babies if you use too many antibacterial products; it's actually good for them to be exposed to routine germs and build up healthy immune systems.
i know i agree about them building their immune system .. what mild antibacterial floor cleaners would you recommend?
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
Vinegar and water are good for cleaning floors. That's what I use.
could you tell me what quantities to mix please
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
It would also be helpful to know what country you are from. There are different products available in different countries.

I found some basic information about dettol for those that have not heard of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettol
im from pakistan .. we dont get many choices of products here but i can try looking for them...
post #10 of 21
I don't measure it, but I'd guess about 1 cup of vinegar in a bucket of water. I use plain white distilled vinegar.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
I don't measure it, but I'd guess about 1 cup of vinegar in a bucket of water. I use plain white distilled vinegar.
thank you so much for your help
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
I bought myself a steam mop...and its the best ...cleans and disinfects with just water..
I use a steam mop, too, but I have a little spray bottle of vinegar that spray on the floor right before I steam mop each section of the floor.
post #13 of 21
I use vinegar & water on a lot of things, including to mop the floor. I like that it's natural and gets the job done.
post #14 of 21
I use Murphy's Oil Soap & water most of the time.
post #15 of 21
I agree with the vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and I use it for most of my cleaning. The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
I agree with the vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and I use it for most of my cleaning. The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.
I agree that using vinegar and water would be a great solution. I'm not big on chemical cleaners at the best of times.

When I was a young teen, I worked in a restaurant and every day we wiped down all the stainless steel with a damp cloth and vinegar. With all the new stainless steel appliance I've been told they will sell you a cleaner for them. What a crock! Unless you don't mind wasting money just wipe them down with a damp cloth and vinegar.
post #17 of 21
I use bleach, vinegar, and water to mop (and clean surfaces) with. I do however rinse the floors before the cats are let out of the bedroom.

And no, I don't put them up because I'm worried about them getting sick - they will race back and forth across the floor and generally get in my way. If I want to sweep I have to put them up, too.
post #18 of 21
I use the Shark Steam Mop and sometimes vinegar if it has been a really dirty day. No chemicals to worry about and it is nice and clean for babies and pets.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
thank you everyone for the replies vinegar and water it is
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
I bought myself a steam mop...and its the best ...cleans and disinfects with just water..
I love my steam mop too, for spot cleaning I use vinegar and water, steam mop for the whole house.
post #21 of 21
I would think that babies and cats both would benefit from natural cleaning products, like vinegar and water
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › moping the floor..