Bengal weight

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend and I were having a discussion about cat weight. I said that I thought her Bengal was a tad roundish. She said that he wasn't pure Bengal, having an Ocicat mother and that her vet said he was a good weight. What do you think?

I suggested maybe a laser pointer for exercise as she has a broken foot right now and can't use the feather toy for long.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree, too round for an Ocicat, Bengal or any supposed mix.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit too heavy. Should be long and lean but muscular. How old? And can you pm where she picked up this kitten if it has an Oci mom? I'm suspicious as to where its out of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has two brothers, one is a really pretty light ivory colour. She lived in California when she purchased the pair as kittens three years ago. They were from a newspaper ad, not any established breeders.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it may not be a purebred (Bengal or Oci). Most all breeders will not hand over kittens without being spayed or neutered for either breed. Looking at the picture - looks like a normal Brown Mackerel Tabby (broken mackeral) and not either breed. Someone "claiming" to be a Bengal/Oci. Have seen it a lot, especially in Petfinders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they are at least half Bengal, as they both have glitter and she did meet the mother. But yes, anyone purposefully breeding a Bengal/Oci does not have the best interests of either cat in mind.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some cats that had "glitter" to me and were not a Bengal. One of the photos I had taken of Charlie in sunlight did make him appear to have the Bengal glitter.

And unless the person really knows Bengals or Oci's its doubtful the mom was an Oci - just a spotted tabby who looked like one.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Takoda is almost 3 years old and he weighs 9 pounds and Magnum is 2.5 years old and weighs in at 11 pounds.

Both boys are Bengals.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 lbs seems pretty small for a male Bengal at that age. Friend of mine breeds them - she has a SOLID (not fat) big boy who weighs almost 20 lbs! He's 1 yr old.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

9 lbs seems pretty small for a male Bengal at that age. Friend of mine breeds them - she has a SOLID (not fat) big boy who weighs almost 20 lbs! He's 1 yr old.
He could be but he comes from great lines and is healthy as a horse. So I'm not concerned. Vet was happy at his last check up in March.