Chance and me.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wrote a couple of weeks ago how my "inherited" stray, Chance, had been missing for a bit. It really made me realize how much I love this guy (as well as how much I need therapy, after my numerous emotional breakdowns). Here we are, sharing a moment this past weekend, complete with his new collar and I.D. tag (can't see it, but oh, it's there!).

Again, thanks for the kind words from the folks here that offered some much needed support.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful!!!!!! I'm so glad you found him! I remember how upset I got when I couldn't find Lucas like a year ago, I searched for hours all through my neighborhood and cried my eyes out. I came back home devastated thinking I was never going to see him again and I was more upset because he has a medical condition.

Then I heard a sound in my room, opened a drawer and there he was!!! He must had got in when i was getting dresses, he is so fast! It was the most beautiful sight! I couldn't stop crying and kissing him. That day I realized how much i love that guy.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Does he come into the house at all?
If you need some pointers on keeping him just let us know. It can be done.

lynneny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a great picture - he does look like he is smiling too!

You look a lot like a cousin of mine, but he lives in NY.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Does he come into the house at all?
We (the tenant at my rental property where Chance is located) and I had him inside the house to heal up when we discovered him with a leg wound. The plan was for him to be a full-time house cat (with her other cat, an 8 year old huge coonie), but he started to spray. I got him all of his requisite shots, had him fixed, and when he healed he became a "outdoors & garage cat" (there's a doggie door that opens into the garage). He's been pretty happy with the arrangement for the most part. Now, she closes the doggie door at night, and he has plenty of food, water, and a litterbox in the garage. He gets his freedom in the morning.

I've let him in the house a handful of times when the tenant has been at work (we're childhood friends...though I still don't think she's too keen on my little experiment), to see how her coonie responds. She still hates him. But Chance loves her toys and her meowmy's parakeets!

I'm over there a lot, if just to see Chance.
He gets a lot of love and attention. He knows where home is, and he's very possessive of it, where other strays are concerned. He protects his garage.

Of course, if I could find the perfect home for Chance, I'd let him go. A lady down the street called when I had put up flyers after he disappeared, saying that Chance was there, loving on her.
She adored him. After some difficult deliberation, I asked her if she could keep him. She couldn't.

I hope the whole garage setup doesn't sound too macabre. Chance seems to be a happy cat. But he is starting to show me that he'd like to be more of an indoor cat, playing and cuddling with a full-time family. I just don't know who I would trust with him; who I would wholeheartedly believe could give him more than what he has now. I have my own five, and in a two-bedroom apartment, I sadly feel I've hit my limit.

If anyone from the board would like the sweetest cat in the world, you're welcome to contact me. But be wary, you will be screened most carefully.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The main thing is he has some shelter and a comfy bed to curl up in, especially when the winter comes
And that's so sweet that you've made sure he got fixed and up to date with his shots

He certainly looks a happy little bioy with you

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww I'm glad you found him. He looks really content to be cuddled up with you. Its just too bad you can't keep him!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to say who's cuter.
Oh! and look! There's your trusty VH tee! You had posted about how you always have it on and it cracked me up to see that you weren't overstating.

I think Chance is just fine hanging out in his bachelor pad/garage (did you see " I love you man"
)

I have 3 in a studio! If I had a two bedroom----WOAH! (which is why I don't
) But only you know your own cats and what their needs are and yours as well.

It sounds like a good thing you have going for him. He has shelter and people who on a daily basis look out for him. It is heartbreaking when all you want to do is make sure they are happy and loved and healthy. But I don't believe in all instances that having the cat kept strictly indoors is the only answer. I think there can be an in between place. It's nice that some of your neighbors now know who's cat it is, they can keep an eye on him also.

His look is quintessentially cat for "bliss". I love it when they close their eyes like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Hard to say who's cuter.
Oh! and look! There's your trusty VH tee! You had posted about how you always have it on and it cracked me up to see that you weren't overstating.
Wow, how embarassing.
Good eye, though!

Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I have 3 in a studio! If I had a two bedroom----WOAH! (which is why I don't
) But only you know your own cats and what their needs are and yours as well.
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure it's the number of cats that's the issue, it's the number of littlerboxes! Finding discreet locations and such. I think if I ever got more kitties, I'd consider going vertical, and making a multi-level litterbox "parking garage" type of thing.

It's funny, my five babies have such harmony, I almost consider them to be one cat, with five personalities. Chance, however, has a huge, needy presence about him. I don't see him meshing. That's fine, of course, but right now even though "wherever I go, there's a kitty", they still have sufficient space and independence. I'd hate to compromise that, and then be left with difficult decisions that I never really had to make in the first place. I had to do that once, with a sweet stray named Scarlet ((who did end up in a good (one-kitty) home)), and the feeling of failure still haunts me. Plus, I just miss her.

I don't know, I always feel like my kitties never have enough, that I can always give them a better home with more toys, more love, etc. Tiko was someone else's misstep that I was reluctant to inherit, and I've been lucky that he's worked out great, and he and Bayliss are inseperable buddies.

Of course, after I got Bayliss as a kitten, I said on three separate occasions, "No more kitties", but three of them later, I guess my words don't carry much weight, do they.
So, come Fall, when it starts getting chilly and Chance doesn't have a home yet, he'll probably be number six.

Along with my litterbox high-rise.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going vertical is a great idea!
I live in a very old apartment with HORRIBLE walls, no way I could do the scale of project I am thinking about. My SPCA has a great room for the cats with litter box cubbies and places to walk and sleep. Someday!
For now I have a tree at every window and cozy beds on every surface including the kitchen table (which I never use anyway).

I purposely didn't get a larger place last time I moved because I knew I couldn't control myself.
My dream someday is to have a retirement home for cats, they have one in FL I believe and it's a great service. If people pass away they can make sure their cats get a good home for life.

I know what you are saying about the harmony. My cats get along SO well and have such complimentary personalites I am absolutely terrified to upset that balance. It felt like with Rocko my last kitty that i was pushing it...I know if I do one more it's bound to be a disaster. My kids are so needy. (I don't mind one bit) Like you said, I am never alone too. EVER.
So it's another good reason to limit my number of cats.

You came by yours by accident though, right? It's not like you are perusing the shelters every weekend.
What can ya do when a cat needs a home? I think most of us here completely understand the predicament.