Ragdoll question

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a post on a UK forum I use, someone has said that it is possible to have solid Raggies, although incredibly rare, and I couldnt see how that was possible, I didn't think anything other than colourpoints had been used in teh breed? Any breeders know of this?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge you can get solids, but they are not recognised for showing in many associations. I've seen a few discussions and it seems to be quite controversial amongst Raggie breeders, as they are supposed to be a colour pointed breed.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a purebred solid ragdoll - Bugsy is a white solid ragdoll...
Yes, they are amazingly rare - a breeder will have in average 1/yr... They are actually "hidden" flame point ragdolls, which is why they are not blind.
Here is a picture of Bugsy:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

We are on the verge of accepting them - at the moment they have the provisional name of "Velvet dolls"
So they will be a separate breed then? Like Ocicat/Classicat?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

So they will be a separate breed then? Like Ocicat/Classicat?
Probably not. That is the current debate. If i'm going to vote in favour of them I want them to be a separate colour of the Ragdoll, not a separate breed. The MCO (p) started out as a separate breed now the extra toes are allowable in MCO's.

Carolina - all white cats mask another colour, I had a white Persian girl that was a bicolour underneath

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Probably not. That is the current debate. If i'm going to vote in favour of them I want them to be a separate colour of the Ragdoll, not a separate breed. The MCO (p) started out as a separate breed now the extra toes are allowable in MCO's.

Carolina - all white cats mask another colour, I had a white Persian girl that was a bicolour underneath
That's what I hear... what's funny about Bugsy is that he is completely solid - you can't find the points... You can move the fur around to look underneath, and it is still white...
The reason why I said they are hidden flamepoints is because of the research I did on white Ragdolls...
Were you able to see the points on your white Persian? If you looked for it, I mean?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That's what I hear... what's funny about Bugsy is that he is completely solid - you can't find the points... You can move the fur around to look underneath, and it is still white...
The reason why I said they are hidden flamepoints is because of the research I did on white Ragdolls...
Were you able to see the points on your white Persian? If you looked for it, I mean?
Nope. But I do have a Van Exotic (the one in my avatar) and when looking at her in the light I can see faint tabby markings on her white coat, something that would never show up in a photo. Her coat texture is also really mixed up because of the tabby, it's so strange!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO somewhere there is a mix. Pointed to pointed only produces pointed. The only way the may happen is if the Bicolor had SOOOO much white that it covered everything over - but you still should have color somewhere.

I'll have to put this question out to a very good friend who knows genetics and see what she has to say.

IMO there are no "solid" Raggys without a mix. In the US, you have the any color Ragamuffins which are very similar and I suspect are out of Raggy backgrounds but they wanted the solid, tabby, etc colors.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The argument for sold ragdolls is that there were some solid coloured cats in the first mating that also produced the pointed cats. Josephine & Buckwheat.

Ragamuffins are very different as I believe they used Persians to get the original cats? Not sure because that's fortunately one of the more modern breeds we don't accept here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ragamuffins may have used Persians, but I do know they were out of some of the other Ragdolls and other "designer" cats that Baker came up with and called them different "breed" names to make money.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The solids and minks are a very controversial subject among breeders. Ann Baker's breeding program was split into two catagories. A few breeders back then didn't like the way she was controlling the breed. Basically Denny Dayton and others broke away from Ann and these are the Ragdolls (Pointed. blue eyed) that were accepted in the registries and are being shown today.

Todays Ragamuffins are different yet came from the same ancestors as the Ragdolls did. Head shape is different as I understand it.